SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Mama's Speed Queen

mamapinky0
7 years ago

I placed another call to dealership, theres no way they can be here before Thursday...they were not pleasent.

Than I called Speed Queen. .they were told by my dealer that my washer was repaired and a replacement was not mentioned.

This morning speaking with dealer I explained that my machine is a lemon...

During the weekend I still have this honking sound BUT noticed clothes are comming out very wet..so I watched the spin..since its a spin drain it spins and drains...so it starts out slowly spinning and draining, seems to be taking longer to drain, than waters almost gone and spin ramps up...than slows back down to the point the clothes fall off the side of the tub....done. wet clothes.I continue turning this back to spin and it finially after 4 times ..spins . I also noticed for the first time ever a tiny amount of suds come out of the sandpipe ..this has never happened.

I could be having more than one issue with this machine...Speed Queen told me to suggest to service to check the pump. I will do this but last time I ask them to do this they refused..I ddon't know why but they already had the milk stool off so that's when they should have checked it...I'm close to being done with this machine...and it will be my dealerships fault and I will scream it to tbe high heavens if that happens. I'm sick to death of machines with issues...should have kept my old Roper....actually I do still have it.

And another thing I told the dealership this morning I won't afterall be replacing my central air unit or my dishwasher thru them....BIG LOSS BIG!

Comments (53)

• georgect
    7 years ago

@beaglenc...

Would the loss of replacing the machine come out of the appliance dealers pocket or out of Alliance's.

If the product is warranted against defect in materials and workmanship doesn't Alliance eat it?

• whirlpool_trainee
    7 years ago

I hope this gets sorted out.

When I have trouble with an appliance, I always call the manufacturer directly and never the place I bought it from. I guess this is different in the US?

• Related Discussions

Rock-A-By-Baby, In-Mama's-Speed-Queen

Q

Comments (4)
    Sandy...I checked the tracking..my Ivory Snow is at my post office and will be delivered today. ..YaHooooo. My mail arrives around 2 but mailman will bring packages to the door...I'm sooo excited..and will post a pic after it arrives Thank You Sandy!!!
    ...See More

Speed Queen TL vs FL

Q

Comments (16)
    Thank you Practigal, right now I'm not buying at all...a BOL Miele is on my list to research, a lot of factors have to be concidered and service plays a huge roll. And I wonder if a BOL Miele would be any better than a TOL machine that would still probably be less expensive. But right now I'm not even researching. I need to get my Queens and my frig paid off first. I hear a lot of good about Miele but I hear bad also same goes with all brands, as long as my machine continues working I won't be buying until summer...that's when I will start extensive research lol..Thank you much
    ...See More

Repairing My Speed Queen

Q

Comments (90)
    Thank You all..Amiee is doing well, she fell asleep early this morning and is sleeping soundly. Yes this machine will have to be replaced...I'm seeing when it goes into spin a very slight movement of the drum, as if it might go off balance...this is how it started before. Service on Wednesday but if they get a cancellation on Monday than they will be here than.
    ...See More

Speed Queen Washer/dryer

Q

Comments (16)
    Also, Yuna, FWIW, I bought my unitized SQ just as the model was changing over from analog to digital. I had special ordered it just in time to get the analog, as I really felt digital would be a problem. The remodel took three months, and by the time we were ready to take delivery on the SQ, it turned out my dealer had, of his own volition, changed my order to digital. It was quite a mess, in part because my cabinetry was already in, and the new unit was a lot taller than we’d planned for. (Luckily, my contractor redid everything no cost to me because I had used the appliance dealer of his preference.) However, when I complained to my dealer very loudly, he said that the machine I had ordered (analog) had only a one year warranty, and that to encourage people to move to the new machine (digital) Speed Queen was upgrading the warranty to five years. At least, that is what my almost 60-year-old brain recalls. It may not be correct. Perhaps you do indeed have a five year warranty. Another problem was the fact that as a part of the model changeover, Speed Queen decided that they would no longer warranty the unitized machine for second floor installations. I found it in the fine print AFTER my machine was installed and running! Oh, I was HOT. You can read more about this in the archives if it matters, but the short story is, yes, I got a full five year warranty. At least, I hope I do. I made the dealer and the distributor put it in writing, or I was going to make them pull the machine out. But a few years from now, who knows what they will claim?
    ...See More
  • paperweights
    7 years ago

It seems to me that Speed Queen must not know that you are mamapinky, the foremost champion of their brand. Everyone doing an internet search of "Speed Queen" is directed to these forums, and you have been tireless in expounding the benefits of SQ washers and dryers. They should do themselves a favor and give you a new machine.

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

I would ask Speed Queen to recommend another service company and have them arrange a warranty call on your behalf. Sounds like the dealer is awful.

MRB

• Donna-37
    7 years ago

Wow! You are a lot more patient than I am. There is no way I would let this drag out this long. I would find out who "The head honcho" is and go straight to the top. There is no excuse for treating a valued customer this way.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank all of you for your good thoughts, its actually picked me up...I was on the threshold of moving this queen ( doesn't get the capitalization of the Q until its fixed or replaced) out...lol...

MRB....now that you mention it..after Thursdays appt I have a feeling I will be requesting a different service company.

Last time these techs were here they got really nasty telling me that because I am not using the authorized hoses that came with the machine my warrenty could be void...I brought that up to speed queen, they said that's absolutly not true, I can use whatever hoses I want and 8 out of 10 people don't like the hoses provided. Only warrenty issue would be if something happened to the hoses, like a leak than speed queen wouldn't cover it under warrenty.

What gets me mad is these service men act like they gave me something...I paid for this machine and its service. Bet you I don't keep my mouth shut when they show up with their rudeness this time. LOL.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

MamaP - Another thought. Did you purchase the washer using a credit card, by any chance? You would be well within your rights to exercise your card's chargeback benefits at this point. Product/Service Defective and/or Not Delivered.

• Andrew Criswell
    7 years ago

I feel so bad for you. I have been there. I went through something really similar with Speed Queen last year. I won't even get started on my horrible experience with them. They will blame EVERYTHING on your dealer and the local service provider. They will not stand behind their product and will ultimately throw the dealer under the bus. Needless to say, I am no longer a Speed Queen owner.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

If I was in this situation -- and I speak from having been through a very nasty dispute on my oven -- I would make a video of the issues with my phone. The way Larsi does when he posts. I would make more than one video, if needed, to illustrate each issue.

I would then call SQ and ask them to look at the videos because the dealer is not sending excellent repair people and the machine is actually worse than before.

If you don't nail the dealer, you will be caught in between and you want to get out of that.

Since you're told the dealer they won't get more business from you they aren't likely to go to bat for you. So SQ must make them take back the machine for exchange.

It gets tricky. I had a good dealer who wasn't doing anything until the rep got snippy about my oven with the employee in charge of this. She basically said she wouldn't cooperate.

Then the dealer got the company to buy back the oven and remove it. They sold me a new one.

The only way to get the company to perform for you, seems to me, is to show that the dealer is incompetent.

My unsolicited opinion. But this can drag on.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

Agree with most people MAMA. Call SpeedQueen again, call the BBB and if you did pay with a Credit card (best being Amex)...call them. This makes me so mad. I am so sorry!!! xo

• linus2003
    7 years ago

I know I can't help but I am here and my thoughts are with you.

Why is it this way? I do not understand this, why have we come to need to get angry and bring in outside help, hang them out in different medias to get what is common sence in custumerservice, it is so sad.....

But one thing do we all know and that is OUR MamaP does not give up before she gets wats coming her.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Had a moment like this today. Not proud of it. I wound up taking a call from one of our customers (had to escalate through many layers to get to me) who was not getting funds from [a large American bank] that we issued 13 days ago. The bank kept telling the customer that we were lying and the funds were never sent. Finally got through to someone who somewhat admitted that they had screwed up and I lost my cool. Raised my voice, swore, asked for an apology that I had to spend the better part of my day defending the company for an error it didn't make. Felt bad taking it out on someone who didn't create the mistake, but it shouldn't have taken 4 hours to get an answer.

All this to say, the art of customer service is dying.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Don't get me started on customer service. Why I am so, so, so picky on where and what I buy. Still ready to write to the pres of Coyuchi to give her a piece of my mind on defective towels. The other day I called their customer service and it just said nobody was there to take the call and hung up!

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

I can't tell you how much I hate contacting companies via social media (FB, Twitter, whatever) but it sadly seems to get the best and fastest response. My theory is that they have far more resources dedicated to monitoring those channels than the 'ol 800 number. K had a defective pair of shoes last year. Went round and round with customer service over the phone. One Tweet and he had a new pair on the way.

I'm not against change, and I'm not super old (yet), but something seems oily and gross about bitchin' that way. Yet it gets the job done.

• Andrew Criswell
    7 years ago

Now that I have time to write a little more, here was my situation with Speed Queen. We have a very reputable local dealer here who has dealt in SQ and high end brands like Miele, Gaggenau, and Asko for years. I pulled the trigger last April on a pair of TOL electronic Speed Queen top loader and gas dryer. Within the first day it sounded like a chain being dragged across the bottom of the tub every time I ran the washer. I though it was just growing pains but after 48 hours, it was still doing it. Not only that but there was a loud squeal and sometimes **WOOSH** noise that would start at the very beginning of the spin up during the spin rinse.

I called my dealer, asked them to come look at it. I also reached out to Speed Queen to see if there were any known issues. I mentioned in passing to Speed Queen that I was concerned because we do dog rescue and we MUST have working laundry appliances. The dealer sent a tech out and low and behold some washers were left off of the assembly in the washing machine. They rigged it to try and get it "working better" but said it would have to be taken back to the shop, flipped over and disassembled completely as the washers were too far in.

I told the dealer I didn't want to mess with that, I wanted the unit exchanged. Since the unit was improperly manufactured SQ was liable for the exchange according to the dealer. They would not OK it, they told the dealer they had to rebuild it because it was already delivered. Meanwhile, the "fix" they applied only made the "chain noise" or whatever it was louder and was creating a howling during the spin rinse. I told the dealer that either they exchanged the washer or I would call my credit card and dispute the charge with them for failure to deliver on promised goods. The dealer told me that Speed Queen was concerned about our use of the units for "so much animal rescue laundry" and that I would probably want to speak with them if they exchanged it but I needed to see if SQ was going to OK an "exception". At that point, I told the dealer that apparently Speed Queen's whole line of BS about build quality and longevity wasn't worth the electricity powering their website, so they could come pick up both units and I would replace them with something else.

The Speed Queens were moved to the garage where the dealer picked them up and refunded them. I have since moved on to being very happy with my Kenmore Cabrio clone top loader and matching dryer and my Kenmore Electrolux Compact clone washer and dryer in the basement. Funny how a company(Sears) that takes so much crap in the media can actually get something like putting washers in their washing machines right.... :D

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

Is there any appliance repair company that would say it's a lemon at this point, or are they all the same? While I know dealers can make things worse, but would most manufacturers replace the appliance after so many repairs? If so, that's probably where I would want to put my business.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

You got that right Alex.

@sashanikki - Why do you think we are all so devoted to Miele? It's not the prices. You get a person. They send someone who knows what they are doing. If they can't fix they replace. Must say I have the same experience with Apple and others. The world is a mall today. Service is the only difference in many cases.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I sure do thank every one of you for all your excellent advice, I do truely appricate it.

No they obviously do not know MamaP...I can become quite assertive when I need to...and now I need to..the dealer..the service men, and speed queen are all at the forefront of my * going in for the jugler vein mode* I have played the sweet little ole lady long enough now the wicked little ole lady has brought out the broom....I am not going to promise not to use any profanity to these people any more..I probably will...and I'm going to win my case..come hair or high water..I'm going to win this battle.

Alex yes I used a credit card...well hubs did..but a crappy one Wells Fargo...what's your advice with this one lol

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

OMG - what a nightmare!! I really wonder about the Speed Queen dealer network. I saw SQ in a local hardware store. That just doesn't seem like the place I'd want to buy a very expensive appliance especially if I want someone who is going to stand behind their product if there's trouble. And your dealer sounds like a ma and pa operation that shuts down when someone's sick (or whatever the issue was that they were closed during normal business hours).

I was fortunately able to buy my appliances from an appliance dealer who sells and services appliances only - nothing else. I realize that luxury doesn't exist in many locations.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes my dealer is a mom and pops. .speed queen is not sold in any box stores.

My dream was to have a speed queen. .lately I have been dreaming of a FL'er that uses enough water to satisify me..no I can't afford a Miele...even used because I won't be able to afford service LOL... to be honest I want a TL& a FL. I can just see me with a hose adding water to a FL'er..lol..can that even be done. I must be losing grip on reality...omg...I really am crazy.LOL...and again LOL

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

But you're thinking about it, Mama. Dangerous! LOL. George and Larsi will know better, but maybe an Electrolux 60 series (if your SQ gets bought back).

• georgect
    7 years ago

Alex...as much as I love my Elux I think Mama needs a washer with a deep rinse.

The only front loader I know that can do that is a Miele.

A traditional top loader maybe used would suit Mama.Maybe an estate sale would have something decent.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

@mamapinky - In my long career wrangling appliance situations (the joke around here is my "appliance curse in this house") -- replacements on oven, cooktop (twice), 2 different washers, refrigerator -- I have found that anger/swear words are not very useful.

My technique is quite different. I am nice, reasonable, I have evidence like photos and video. But I am relentlessly persistent and I document everything in writing. So when I call back I say that I called on such and such a day and spoke to whosits, then I called back on such and such a day and whatsit said the following, blah, blah.

The same things don't work with the same people and everyone has a different style. You have a big personality and your own way. But that is my suggestion.

Wells Fargo isn't Amex (best with purchase issues) but it isn't BOA either. A charge back would be my last resort if all else fails. It will get their attention.

But Alex does have a point about using Facebook to get their attention and, if you don't get a timely response from Speed Queen, I'd go that route. But I'd be sure I have all the documentation in place first so you can make your case.

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

I'm sorry. The good news, if there is any, is that the machine does have a 3 year warranty. Is there another service company around that handles Speed Queen? I might try that route to see if you can get the machine fixed right. Also, is your roper working? Since you're having trouble (and being without a washer is miserable!) can you hook that up for now, or get a decent used FL to hook up as a second machine? Also, I've seen some older machines on Craigslist that people are getting rid of and they might be worth considering. There is an interesting thread on automaticwasher about the newer Whirlpools and the return of agitators. Maybe we have hope in the future for better machines. I hope Speed Queen is reading this thread (and it might be worth linking to on social media or an email) as I am sure it will make some people reconsider their potential purchase of the machines. And Speed Queen should not be happy about that!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hopefully speed queen is reading these posts, expecially as I ask them to..lol.

The perfect FL for me would be an old one lol...but they are hard to come by in working order.

Roc, yesterday I was irate, its a new day...I won't be using profanity, lol. I never believed you got what you wanted in the end by yelling or using foul words so I won't start now. Assertiveness does not mean profanity or screaming..it does mean having all your eggs in one basket and knowing what your talking about.

It will be interesting Thursday when service comes..

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

I don't think it's useful to ask them to read these posts.

Fingers crossed for you on Thurs mamapinky.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

GE washer@ MamaP....GE also released, a few months ago, a traditional, brand new top loader that uses tons of water and is the closest to an old school, what Americans are used to top load washer. It might be ideal for you!!

http://laundry.reviewed.com/content/ge-gtw680bsjws-washing-machine-review

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

Look at what combo52 (a real appliance professional who's in my area) says about the GE lineup in this thread

http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?65422_35~1

I would listen to him. Incidentally, he isn't a big fan of the Speed Queen TL either.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Am I reading Combo correctly, he is not advocating the purchase of the GE?

I have read tons of what Combo has written for a long time and already knew he wasn't a SQ TL fan...he does like the FL or am I misunderstood? I do respect his opinions.

Larsi, I did try a GE last summer, twice, that one wasn't for me lol.

I haven't completely given up on my queen yet..maybe it will be fixed. I did 6 loads today and only had problems with two of them spinning LOL. Some way or another this problem will be resolved...it has to be...I can't pay this kind of money for a machine only to put it in storage and buy another. Sometimes I wish...

• sparky823
    7 years ago

"Sometimes I wish" I had kept the Roper in the house?

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

After these horror stories, I am wishing I had never bought my new Speed Queen ATE9 stack. I could have and should have gone with Miele. I just didn't want to fool with a condenser dryer (and all that extra heat here in Carolina) but I'm thinking now it would've been a better option, quality wise. In any case, I am so sorry, Pinky, that you, of all people, are having to deal with this. What is Speed Queen thinking, to let this drag on for months?

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

They aren't thinking. They are trying to put in on the dealer. Why should someone buy American and get treated like this?

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

MizLizzie--I have a Speed Queen top loader that is coming up on 6 years old with zero problems. Too early to know if it will live up to their reputation but, so far, I have no regrets owning it.

Mamapinky's machine should not have broken but it did and, unfortunately, to make matters even worse, it appears almost certain that the service dept. at her local dealership is staffed with incompetent personnel. Bad deal all around.

• practigal
    7 years ago

MamaP you may have to accept the fact that their sterling reputation is a little less than sterling. They haven't exactly been supporting their product the way I think that someone with such a good reputation should be supporting it. My familiarity with their local supplier/service organization caused me to buy another brand. I really do wish that we could have direct feedback into speed queen. But when I tried to call them to discuss this they refused to talk to me at all. They only wanted to talk to my local supplier and my local supplier was the problem. If they don't wake up, it will probably drive them out of business in the next market downturn which is unfortunately likely to be coming not later than the next elections.... They will just be another American brand that bites the dust because they refused to look at their distributors. I really don't understand their misguided sense of loyalty.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Practigal...I tried to speak to someone other than technical support a few minutes ago. ..not happening. Theres no doubt in my mind that the service techs today will say * nothing wrong with your washer* I have defended speed queen, but if this happens, I'm spreading the word...I'm telling my story on every nook and cranny on the net. And the BBB.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

practigal nailed it. So upsetting. But truth is, they are working on old US appliance model because the bulk of their business is laundromats I expect. They likely do not have any service capacity. Manufacturer service/waranty is the new model.

@mamapinky - Somewhere on automatic washer -- if they are who they seem to be -- is a SQ expert or repair person or someone from the company. Or a connection to a connection. Might be worth some time finding that person to get this resolved.

• stchuck14
    7 years ago

Have been busy and haven't been able to write for a long time. I have been reading this thread and the whole scenario with SQ irritates me. I am a current owner of a new generation Speed Queen front loader and dryer and have had a SQ top loader in the past. I feel there is a bit of a cult following (myself included) but have fallen out of love with SQ. Truthfully there is nothing spectacular about their product. Current front loader is loud and I have had the pump randomly not pump and have had it not reach the expected spin speed numerous times even when not out of balance. I could throw the dryer out, its way too loud and does not dry consistently. I liked my Electrolux wavetouch set much better, especially the dryer. I think SQ is just okay, nothing more. For the price I am questioning whether I even consider them "okay". Would I buy them again? Absolutely not and can no longer understand why people aspire to own them. Just my two cents, for what its worth.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Roc, that would be Combo..there's no sense in me posting over there, they won't speak to me in that forum. I haven't the foggiest reason as to why, but its not just me..I've seen many people go in there and ask questions and either be treated rudely or completely ignored. This is a long pattern over there. They also have a lounge you can go into if you've paid your dues and chit chat off topic..I recieved an email from a member over there that told me it was decided in private that all of Mamapinkys comments be ignored, this was all do to one members dislike of me. We have members here that left that forum after many years because of this kind of stuff. This afternoon or evening I'll try, but I don't have high hopes. Lol

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Service techs should be here in 5 minutes. ..I have videos for them to watch along with the washer. I had been videoing some of what this washer has been doing. But I'm telling you now if my machine us diagnosed as nothing wrong...I have a plan.

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

Crossing my fingers it all goes well. I think the reason so many are interested in the SQ is that it is one of the last top loaders to function similarly as top loads used to be. Price wise it isn't all that much different than the TOL cabrios, etc. But it is supposed to function better. My neighbor loves her speed queen with the mechanical controls but lemons do happen.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

See new post...

Thank You Sash

• stchuck14
    7 years ago

Mama-I was ignored at the other site as well. This site is better but I probably don't contribute enough to be paid attention to. Nonetheless, I still read all the threads, even though at times certain topics are repeated over and over. If I was to buy the newest and "best" laundry detergent, fabric softener or dishwashing pods or powder I would be broke in no time. Seems like there is always a new one that is just the bees knees. I started down that path of trying everything and when my pockets were empty I told myself time to be satisfied and use what I have!

• stchuck14
    7 years ago

Gosh how I miss my Lady Kenmore electronic top loading washer, I think it was late 80's or 90's. I never had a problem with any Kenmore washer I ever bought. Of course, I know it was Whirlpool.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Chuck, whatever you post is welcome and valued, and I'm glad to see you, as we dont see nearly enough of you. Some of our posts may bore you I understand, but think dear...it just means your not nearly as crazy as some of us lol. Ahhh and old Lady K...those were the days.

• stchuck14
    7 years ago

They don't bore me at all certain topics just create enthusiasm so they are repeated more. If anything I smile. The "scent and soap of the day" is a good example of this.

I was an idiot to ever give up the Lady Kenmore. I was young and dumb and moved on to what I thought was the next greatest thing. I also miss my electronic GE GSD2800 dishwasher. I got bored with it. Again, I am an idiot. You know what they say about hindsight..... I wish I could make your SQ perfect again for you, you deserve it.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aww stChuck, thank you that's very kind of you.

Back in 1981 we were moving, I allowed hubs to put my slant front Westinghouse FL washer on the truck the night before, thru the night it was stollen off the truck..I'm still beating myself up over its loss lol. In 2009 when I moved into my mothers home after she passed, I lent my eldest son and his girl my Whirlpool, matched set, they were maybe 12 years old..I have never seen them again..I did a foolish thing loaning appliances out lol

• beaglenc
    7 years ago

MamaP, I can't believe the audacity of those people on AW! I have read your posts on there and they have been nothing but kind and interesting. I guess they just have their own little hen house over there and no newbys are welcomed. That's what's so great about the Laundry Room, we're all one big happy family, even if we all don't post a lot,(hanging head in shame). Stchuck, you are not alone in that.

I will say this about Speed Queen, back when I was having issues with the timer and finding somebody to repair it under warranty. One gentleman told my he didn't do warranty work for them anymore because they take way too long to pay them. And I must admit that I am not that enamored with my washer or dryer.

I sincerely hope this is taken care and very quickly. Love , Mary

• Lisa Samson
    7 years ago

Where did you buy your machine?

• maggie200
    6 years ago

Maggie200 here. There is a new conversation going on in the laundry room that may be of interest concerning today’s Speed Queen washer and dryer problems along with dealer and warranty woes. The post is called SpeedQueen Washer and dryer. Can any of you help? I also am buying a Speed Queen dryer I THOUGHT until the other post sent me to you. Would you be able to pull up the model number of your washer and/or dryer. I am elderly and this is the last one I of everything I can afford. I wanted no problems and have saved for for a SQ. Thanks.