SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Hydrangea 'Fire & Ice' size

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
7 years ago

I am cross-posting this as well in the hydrangea forum, but this hydrangea has come up a few times on this forum, so I am hoping that someone has had it long enough to help me out with information on it. Sorry for being somewhat off topic as far as perennials.

I have a friend who is getting a Fire and Ice as a gift. I know the H. paniculatas vary in size a lot from cultivar to cultivar. My go-to for size info (MOBOT) doesn't list this, and elsewhere the estimates of "mature size" range from 5' highx 4' wide to 10-12' high and 7' wide. That's a factor of two size difference, and helping her to place it will be difficult without more accurate info. She is into her 70's and is landscaping the house where she and DH are planning to age in place, so the placement should be such that she doesn't need to prune to keep it in check.

Has anyone here grown this for long enough (5 years or more) without pruning so that you can give me accurate info on size? If it's less than 5 years, can you give me how long you've had it and both its approximate initial size and current size? And as a side note, how stiff are the branches when it's in full bloom?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!