SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brooks23_gw

Fire and Ice Hydrangea

Brooks23
10 years ago

I am considering the new Fire and Ice Hydrangea. Some places say full sun and some recommend part shade. Does anyone have experience with this shrub?
Thanks, Brooks23

Comments (40)

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

I have one that I planted in a lot of shade. It's covered in blooms right now that are still all white. I did not cut this back at all last year. I've found that some of my Paniculatas are not blooming as well if I cut them back late winter.
    I do think that Fire and Ice will handle more sun just fine. I don't have a lot of sun so I used a shadier spot because I read that it could handle shade. It does.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information. I have lots of sun and Little Lime does all right but wasn't sure about this one. I better go do some measuring to make sure I have room. When does start blooming?
    Brook23

• Related Discussions

Vanilla Strawnerry Paniculatas In The DFW Metroplex

Q

Comments (1)
    The VS's are 30% off. This week, they received a new shipment consisting of Fire & Light Hydrangeas in tree form (aka, standards). Sorry, I forgot to look at the price for those.
    ...See More

Fire and Ice VS Little Quick Fire

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you. I don't really care about fall color personally. The long cones of things like strawberry sundae I don't find attractive as I rather prefer the domed shape of Annabelle if she just wasn't so aggressive to take over real estate even after I thought I removed her. I also saw one photo that had a row of fire and ice and they looked a very blah shade of pink/beige and the florets were spaced far apart to make the scene all the worse.. Perhaps it was just a moment between two attractive colors, but it made me wonder what others have experienced. I look forward to any photos.
    ...See More

Hydrangea 'Fire & Ice' size

Q

Comments (1)
    Got you covered in Hydrangea Forum :)
    ...See More

Encouraging Buds to Open on Fire+Ice Panicle Hydrangea

Q

Comments (4)
    Those aren't exactly unopened buds. They are fertile flowers (the big showy ones are sterile florets) that all hydangeas have, some much more than.others. Fire & Ice tends to have not very dense panicles and with a lot of fertile flowers so yours is close to what it should look like, although you may well get more of the sterile flowers opening as the season progresses and as the plant matures. The fertile flowers tend to be tiny compared with the sterile ones and often like like they are unopened.
    ...See More
  • luis_pr
    10 years ago

Whoever took pictures of F&I for the wholesaler a few years ago took some nice pictures! I have not seen any from a garden so please take a few and post them when they have turned wine-dark pink!

Greenhavengardens, where did you buy yours?

This post was edited by luis_pr on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 15:14

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Menards is now out of Fire and Ice but they have- Quick Fire, Pinkie Winkie and Limelight. Out of those 3 what do you recommend?
    Only have room for one this big so am trying to gather information.
    Thanks, Brook23

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

I bought mine at a local (nicer) garden store. I'll take pics when the flowers change. It started blooming with my Quickfires. It is similar to a quickfire but the blooms are slightly different. I've really neglected this one this year. I haven't given it any supplemental watering and despite some record heat last week it didn't skip a beat. The flowers did get to be deep red last year. It's in an out of the way spot so i tend to forget about it but I'm thinking of adding another in a more prominent spot. I kind of wish I had planted more of these and less Quickfires.

There's one called Little Quickfire I'm excited about also. Its supposed to be much smaller. I haven't seen it available yet.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

All of them are excellent choices with minor differences. QF blooms early and gets a nice pink color when it is turning from white to pink but, the shade of pink then changes and might not be your cup of tea. PW produces a nice set of pink blooms later than QF and they look well against similar ones in the same plant. I think the "second" shade of PW pink looks better. LL is an excellent choice and a tough plant but looks more impressive in a hedge. It keeps the green blooms longer if not exposed to a lot of sun; otherwise they turn white quickly. Bottom line: the choice is a personal one and should be whatever you like.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the hydrangea information. It is nice to have this forum.
    I went back to Menards and the Pinky Winky plant looked the best so that is what I got.

We have a local nursery that has beautiful plants. That is were I got my Little Lime, Double Delight Peace, Double Delight Expression. They have the big Lime LIght that are so healthy and big but I am about out of room.
    I have lots of roses and have had trouble with the rose rosetta disease so have been looking at other plants.
    The hydrangeas have gotten me hooked on their beauty and being easy to grow is great. They have really changed from when I grew up and had hydrangeas.
    Best to everyone, Brooks23

• GaryLeatham
    9 years ago

I have a Pinky Winky and Limelight side by side in a location that gets 3+ hr direct Sun then bright shade all day. They are growing and blooming fantasically well. I live in the the Seattle area and so Weight of moisture on blooms is a consideration. I want to add a third panicle type to the set. Would Vanilla Strawberry need more Sun and droop too much. I like the idea of Fire and Ice ... but does it have enough flower density to balance with the other two? Thoughts Please?

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have Vanilla Strawberry but this is the first summer and it is just now starting to bloom. I was interested in Fire and Ice but it gets pretty big.
    I have Fire Light and it is blooming and I like it. Let me see if I can find a picture
    This is Fire Light and it has been blooming several weeks and starting to turn to a nice red pink.
    Brooks23

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have Quick Fire and Pinky Winky and like Quick Fire more. I like the lacier flowers of QF as well as the shape of the panicles, and QF has better color in my garden. Both are in the same bed in full sun.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

My Pinky Winkys hold a better pink longer than my Quickfires, which tend to go beige pink fairly quickly. I have three younger Fire and Ice that are just now beginning to bloom- can't wait to see how their color progresses.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

cear, interesting...I would agree with nhbabs. My Quickfire are about 30 days in with pink yet.

I have a Mystic Flame that might have the best pink of any. Still waiting to how it does over the next couple weeks.

• Amandajxo
    9 years ago

I bought a fire and ice hydrangea about a month ago that was already in bloom. The flowers have started to turn brown and the plant looks dried out. I water the plants almost every day, so i'm not sure why this is happening. Any tips?

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amandajxo, I think the plant is finished blooming for the year. I bought a Pinky Winky in a pot with blooms and it bloomed and turned brown early before the other hydrangea had started blooming. I think it is because it has been in a pot and next year will be better. I am just a beginner with hydrangea so just guessing.
    Brooks23

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Transplant shock, soil moisture and planting in the summer also contributed. Add 3-4" of organic mulch & monitor soil moisture weekly (add 1g of water to the ground early in the mornings) or more often until Fall temps arrive.

• RachelPDX
    9 years ago

Amandajxo-

I planted 2 fire and ice about a month ago and mine look exactly the same. I am pretty disapointed that the blooms did not turn the pink and then maroon in fall like I was told it would. I agree with the previous poster- I think the shock of the heat while transplanting was not so good for it. I hope to see it bloom next year to full white, then pink and maroon in the fall!
    I was just looking around for some info on whether to trim the brown blooms off. How far down do you cut? Most of the once fully bloomed stems around the bottom are completely brown but I've got some healthy looking white blossom new growth on top.

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

August is only starting so you still have a chance of seeing color change in Portland, if that is your location. You can trim the brown blooms now or leave them for winter interest. I would cut the "string" that connects the panicle and the stem. See the section titled METHOD TWO on the link below.

Something you could also try... I saw an awesome picture a few years ago where someone paired an early flowering paniculata with a late flowering one (Tardiva maybe). Very nice; the photographer had a white blooming paniculata (Tardiva?) besides another one that appeared to have newly opened brown blooms. Wish I had saved the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Hydrangeas

• mary_rockland
    6 years ago

Any updates on the Fire and Ice Hydrangea. Any photos? Curious if they end up looking like long cones of florets or if they are more rounded groups of florets. Are they lacy looking like the Quickfire? How about color of the blooms - do they make a nice pink and then a good deeper shade in the fall?

• Chris Packnett
    5 years ago
    Why would my Fire and Ice not change to the dark red color in the fall? I’ve had it at least 3 years, and it looks like a rusty drab color every year. I’m in Iowa. It gets mostly western sunlight on the northwest corner of my house.
    I only have the current summer picture.
    Apparently it’s normal for only some of the flower buds to open. Is that true?
  • Brooks23
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My Fire and Ice never turned dark red or even close so I dug it up to make room for another hydrangea

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Where I am, the cool late summer and fall nights create really vibrant colors with the panicled hydrangeas with the genetics for good red color development. Folks who live in warmer climates have frequently commented here that they don’t get as nice fall color development for the panicled hydrangeas, I haven’t been in Iowa since I was quite young, so I don’t know how your weather might effect color. Another person or two mentioned that it took several years before their panicled hydrangea developed really nice color, but I don’t remember the variety that was.

All the Hydrangea flowers will open, but the small fertile flowers don’t carry the appeal for many gardeners that the larger sterile flowers do. On the other hand, the pollinators prefer the fertile flowers, and my lacier cultivars have a lot more insect activity than those with a higher percent of sterile flowers.

• luis_pr
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In places with a warm and-or dry summer climate, paniculatas tend to perform poorly as temperatures go past 95F and even to the 100s. Vanilla Strawberry tends to go brown before reaching pink or magenta. I normally suggest to try them at least for 3 years in order for the root system to develop fully which allows the roots to absorb water as quickly as it is lost via the foliage. Also, make sure you are keeping the soil uniformly moist always, which may require manual watering in days when the sprinkler is not running. But if the problem persists and it keeps going from white to brown/sand-ish colors, you may have to try a location with less sun before you give up altogether.

• mary_rockland
    3 years ago

Any updates on Fire and Ice and Quickfire as to difference in height and bloom color from anyone?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My Quickfire is something like 8’ after 10 years. My Fire and Ice is only a few years old, so I cannot compare sizes, but I expect it to be somewhere in a similar size. Mine grow fairly far apart, so I haven’t ever compared colors, but if you shoot me a message in August I will take photos for you.

• mdco
    3 years ago

. . ?

• HU-822816528
    3 years ago

Fall Color of Fire N Ice Hydrangea. Once established- Prune down 2-3 Spring. In Zone 4

• moftah Younis
    3 years ago

Hello

can you please compare Fire and ice hydrangea and quick fire

in performance, fall colour, flower colour,, fragrance and tolerance to shade.

please also let me know your favourite to help me choose one of the two

• Martine
    2 years ago

Here is my one year old Fire and Ice (Botanical name Hydrangea paniculata 'Wim's Red'). Smells nice. It starts to get pink now… it turned dark pink last year…

Full sun south in Norway. I would think if you live in a warmer climate (example US zone 8, it needs partly shade…

Unfortunatly I don’t remember the fall color from last year

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    2 years ago

"please compare Fire and ice hydrangea and quick fire"

If I were choosing right now I'd not get either of those two but instead go for 'Firelight.'

I'm seriously considering digging out a 12 year old Quickfire and replacing it with Firelight as the color seems to hold so much better. My Fire and Ice can stay because they are in an area that is not much of a focal point but my Quickfire is in prime real estate and simply does not earn its keep for me because it browns out so early so consistently.

But my Firelight may be the nicest large-ish paniculata I have.

• mary_rockland
    2 years ago

You'll have to post photos of them in fall color. That would be great.

• mary_rockland
    2 years ago

I wonder if good fall color is also affected by moisture.

• HU-822816528
    2 years ago

I love my fire and Ice. It needs at least 6 hours of full sun. Moist soil for all Hydrangeas. I am a designer and went to school for this 3 1/2years pt. Time. Mine does turn a beautiful fushcia in the fall every year. Maybe some that dont were miss marked. That can happen.

• suzie1247
    2 years ago

I have firelight i love it i was looking at fire and ice but didnt know if they would turn that deep red im in z4

• HU-822816528
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am in Zone 4. Yes, Fire and Ice do a Beautiful Fall color.

• boivinginette
    9 months ago

And what’s the height?

• ostrich
    9 months ago

HU-822816528, your Fire and ICe is BEAUTIFUL! Since you are in Zone 4 as well, and now that you have grown it for a few years, how tall is it now please? Also, how early does it bloom for you? I wonder if it blooms earlier than Quick Fire?

• HU-822816528
    9 months ago

it can get 8-10 ft tall but I prune it 2-3 ft off each spring. It bloomed the first year and continues too. It is a clumper. No root spreading underground all over like Annabelle after years.

• Kelly Mills
    8 months ago

I am also in zone 4 North Idaho USA. temperature will get in the 90s as summer goes on. if i plant this facing west with full afternoon sun will it flourish or does it need some afternoon dapple shade? thank you.

• HU-822816528
    8 months ago

I may flourish. 6 hours of sun. It is a tough Hydrangea. Water more if when in West sun on very hot days.