SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaillean

Ideas for tricky spot

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I wasn't quite sure where to post this as I'm open to shrubs, perennials, vines or annuals for this tricky spot. It's located in my foundation bed on the northwest corner of my house, right in the triangle created by my front stairs and house.

It's in shade all the time, but maybe classed as bright shade? Right now, I have a sad red rhododendron stick (thanks to a pruning misunderstanding between me and DH!), hosta, astilbe and a young choisya sundance, which gets a bit more sun at the front of the bed. Plants just a few feet to the west get lots of sun.

I want something for right back against the steps, where they are ugly and discolored. Need something with some height to show above choisya once it grows up (plan to prune to about 4'). Spot is about 3' x 5'.

I've included some photos showing the spot as well as a wider view of the new front yard bed I'm working on for perspective.

I like pale yellows, chartreuse, blues, violets and purples generally, but open to anything at this point. Fragrance would be a bonus, with proximity to front door.

The choisya will get bigger and the rhodo will recover, so I realize I may have some changing conditions in 3 or so years and will need to move whatever I plant here. I'm okay with that.

I've been considering meadow rue, monkshood, cimicifuga or ligularia but not sure there's enough sun for these. I even considered aucuba, but I'd probably have to prune it quite a bit as it matures, and not sure how it aucuba responds to that. I've also considered a pot on a pedestal or trellis with vine. Clethra?

What would you do?

On another note, I'm also looking for a good edger for between the astilbe and the path. : )

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)