SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

graduation gifts

Funkyart
7 years ago

yeah, it's that time again! I don't usually have trouble with gifts for this niece.. but I am struggling this time. The standard grad gift for the girls has been an apple laptop but she already has one. She has much of what she needs as far as room decor/bedding and technology go. Doesn't really want jewelry. Has a couple of great watches. Wants money. I will be giving her money but also want to have something to wrap up.

The only thing she's mentioned that she wants that she hasn't bought already are firefly lights from urban outfitter. Not much of a gift. I am waiting to hear if my sister got apple tv for her.. that will be an option if it isn't already covered.

She will be going to school in Ct. I thought about an amtrak pass to go into the city but as a freshman and an athlete, I think her time will be limited.

I am really stumped. She's going to major in Broadcast Journalism if that helps. Price range is flexible since I'll be gifting with money.

I also need a gift for a boy who will be going into an archeology program. $50-$100 range.

Comments (51)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Annie. She has plenty of logo and team items already.. she declared a year ago so she's had plenty of time to load up.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Tell her to drop in for dinner. : )

I don't have any great ideas. But, I am totally into those customized gift cards as a way to give money. You can put any photo you want on it, and any message. Giftcards.com iirc? I gave my son one that his a pic of him with his new car, for him to get gas. I gave one daughter one with an image of a vintage LV steamer trunk superimposed over a vintage map, because she really wants one of those trunks and she loves to travel. etc etc

• Related Discussions

$10 graduation gifts

Q

Comments (1)
    Try posting over at the Kitchen Table forum, which is busy and lively. Lots of nice people with sharp minds and good ideas! Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Table
    ...See More

Graduation Gift - How Much $$$$ is acceptable?

Q

Comments (90)
    I hope Caitlin will have a job that can afford to send the amount of money she expects to everyone who sends her a graduation invite/announcement. Many would have to forego a mortgage payment if they sent a minimum of $100+ to all the graduates of friends and family, It's a gift not an obligation or entitlement. When I graduated, I never expected any gift. My parents threw a party to celebrate, it was just a reason to get together and have party. I was happy with cards, flowers, words of wisdom, I didn't expect anything and any monetary amount was greatly appreciated and thanked for personally with thank you notes. I don't care if it's a phone call. Email, text, in person, or card. Just acknowledge the giver - they are under no obligation to get you anything.
    ...See More

Ideas for H.S. graduation gift

Q

Comments (23)
    these are great ideas. I talked to her mom today (my DD) and she said she's not much of a bag person. She also mentioned what my granddaughter wanted for her 18th birthday, very shortly after her graduation . . . a tattoo! lol. She would get it on her shoulder or some other easily concealed place, and she wants a flower tattoo -- her name is a flower name, (e.g., her name is Rose so she would get a rose tattoo); so it's pretty hard to say it wouldn't be appropriate and lasting. So many bad tattoos out there though . . . will have to talk to her. And of course, the thing I have not done is ask her directly what she wants for her graduation, which I plan to do. She'll probably say money, though . .
    ...See More

H.S. Graduation gift

Q

Comments (12)
    I don't think it's necessarily bad that she isn't headed straight for college. It's difficult to know at 18 what you want to do with your life. I know many, many people with crippling student loan debt right now because they felt like they had to go to college, and they often picked majors that, in hindsight, weren't the best choices. I don't know if anyone has priced out colleges recently but they are extremely expensive, even state schools. I graduated 10 years ago and tuition costs have raised considerably since then. Tuition increases are outpacing pretty much anything else in the economy, and it's really becoming a problem when young adults graduate thinking they did this great thing only to have trouble finding even low paying jobs and soon facing $1,200 a month in student loan repayments. I routinely see people $60k-$80k in debt at 22 because they went to college like they were supposed to. Community college is usually a good deal, though. Granted, wanting to work part time forever without getting any additional education isn't ideal, and I think pointing out the limitations would be a good thing. But taking some time before college isn't always a bad idea.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love that idea, Mtn. You've mentioned it before but I always forget when I actually need a money gift. She will love it.. she so appreciates that kind of thing!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm glad, the giftcards are so fun to create. Can you superimpose the boy over the ruins of Ephesus or some such?. Or your niece superimposed on the Today show crawl? You do have to be a little tricky, your card cannot replicate a logo.

The only other idea I have are LL Bean boots. Apparently this is a "thing". At least in boarding school but I think college too. Supposedly they sell out every fall. There are several versions but they have to have the duck web part!

I told my DD about them, and she said "those are God awful ugly no way". Then we were dining at friends and DH was wearing his pair that he had for years (it was rainy). And my DD's friend exclaimed over how cool they were! Ha! So I decided to buy them anyway and surprise her in the fall when I expect her to call me and ask for them.

In a similar vein, Hunter boots are really in. In both cases these are preferred footwear for walking around campuses. My DD did acquiesce to those.

Yes I know it is OTT.

Funkyart thanked MtnRdRedux
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

One more idea. If she likes LV (many of my kids friends do, and nieces in college too), they have some cool wallets, and they hot stamp them with gold initials.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

Money, stop stressing, don't over think.

Funkyart thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The thing the girls are into here are the timberland boots.. or "tims" as she calls them. I believe she'll be close to your area-- so your tips on what's "in" are a great!

I love the burberry backpack-- and while she hasn't gone for the burberry clothes, she loves the accessories and loves plaid. I havent come across that color combo (which is the best imo)-- but I think the price is prohibitive. It's in budget but severely cuts into the money gift.

She's pretty funny. She is under the impression she'll be in the tundra this winter! I told her the temps aren't much different than they are here but she's convinced she needs a whole new winter glam wardrobe!

Thanks so much!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Bumblebee:

I agree, the bulk of large gifts should usually be money. But, one wants to present it or supplement with something personal and thoughtful, when possible.

Funky, Yes, she likes it because most people wont know its Burberry. Does the school have a Tumbler acct with a lookbook? Many do, which is fun to look at for a fashion sense.

• jlc712
    7 years ago

Nice luggage, especially a great carry-on suitcase, is a good gift at that age. Then fill it with money!! ;-)

My SIL gave me a Tiffany key ring for a birthday probably 20 years ago, and I still use it for all my keys. I enjoy it every day.

Funkyart thanked jlc712
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

exactly, Mtn... I'll give money but I want to supplement with a gift. This niece just loves gifts.. all gifts.. big and small... handmade or extravagant.

I keep looking for the bag above-- she would love it but I just can't justify putting $800 into a canvas bag when I am sure she'll have many other ways to spend the money.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jlc .. tiffany something is my fallback. She has luggage but it's a good idea too!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I know, Funky you are right. My DD takes very good care of things so I don't fret as much as I might otherwise, After looking at a bunch of backpacks on line, it actually did not seem quite as absurdly expensive (take a look at the beauty below!) Do they make any accessories in those cool blue/plum colors?

This is TDF in my opinion, but I would never ever do it!

https://us.burberry.com/the-bucket-backpack-in-alligator-p45577411

Luckily the other one she liked was a used Tory Burch from Tradesy!

• bpath
    7 years ago

If she has the luggage, how about nice luggage tags to go with them? Where she can slide a card with any pertinent info, but the rest is a distinctive color and maybe even monogrammed.

Funkyart thanked bpath
  • bpath
    7 years ago

And a Tiffany key ring is fabulous.

Funkyart thanked bpath
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Oh, if she likes plaid, this was one we liked a lot, too. And its $225.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh-- I like the buffalo plaid too (and I am not a plaid person!)! Who makes that one?

I love the alligator one-- but she'd have to wait to inherit that beauty from her mean, selfish aunt!!

BPAhome, I think luggage tags are a great idea too-- so great that my mother has done them for each of the girls. I think a Tiffany ring is timeless.. I also like the keys.. and a number of their other classic designs. It's a good gift for sure... who doesn't love a little blue box?

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

The buffalo one is from duluthpack.com. I love the simple enveliope shape.

Yeah, Tiffany is really in the little blue box business (fabric ribbon, too!). I know that but still like it for a gift. It's almost Pavlovian what they have done with packaging!

• ratherbesewing
    7 years ago

Funky: I see you want something personal,but useful. My 2 kids (boys) used a lanyard everyday for all 4 years. It would hold their ID card (dorm and dining hall and gym access) and their room key. Perhaps Burberry carries them? Smaller size "should" be less expensive??

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

The boots (LL Bean, Hunter) are all great ideas. They are very popular down south with the girls, both high school and college age. The backpacks are cool too.

A lot of the girls carry small wristlets with their IDs and a few cards or cash and maybe their cell phones with some having their car keys attached. I've seen all price ranges from the relatively inexpensive fabric Vera Bradley to leather Kate Spade, Coach, etc. VB makes some nice tote bags and solid color duffel bags too.

• maddielee
    7 years ago

Off topic, sorry. I little story, we were at a conference when one of the speakers for the wives was a buyer for Tiffany who spoke about the buying process for crystal and china.

At the end of her presentation she handed each attendee a little blue box (empty, sadly) and a piece of ribbon. She then taught us (over 200) how to tie the perfect Tiffany bow.

So funny, because it took many of us forever to get it just right. Some never did.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I like the lanyard idea. As you probably know, I work on a college campus. I've not seen anyone wear the llbean boots around here, but I do remember years ago when the shoes and boots were popular! Everything comes back around I suppose. Hunter boots are popular here. I like that buffalo plaid backpack also. Something monogrammed is good - from what I see with the college girls here.

Funkyart thanked tinam61
  • bpath
    7 years ago

Maddielee, so funny! MtnRd was right, they are just in the little blue box business, the metal inside is just a lagniappe. Still, it would have been nice to at least include a little chocolate in the box. Or a diamond.

Funkyart thanked bpath
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all! Re: boots-- this gal has a lot of boots of various styles. I don't believe she has the llbean style but she does have hunter. Part of why I am giving her money is so that she can pick up the things she discovers she wants when she arrives-- styles unique to the area/campus or things she didn't think she wanted but suddenly "must have". I have indulged her shoe (and especially boot) fetish for many years but I am not inclined to get her a boot she hasn't asked for --rather, I am more likely to give her a head's up to what Mtn and others in NE suggest are "in" on campuses in the NE. Trust me, she won't hesitate to say what she likes/wants/must have!

I do have one question-- my sister said she was thinking about getting a pair of the sweater style uggs. This style and the moccasins are still worn quite a bit on campuses in PA (this is my third niece heading off to college in the last 6 yr). I am under the impression that they are "out" in most areas. Is this true? She wouldn't wear them out and about as much as like a slipper in the dorms.

I am a fiend for great, functional keyrings and I especially love the ones you don't have to break a nail to thread! I used to carry a coach keyring because I liked that it could separate to break off your house keys from car keys. I am currently carrying a special key ring that was given to me as a gift (by the niece for whom I am shopping!) so i am stuck with the nail breaker for awhile.

I am just not sure about the lanyards. I never used one-- I still don't use one in the office where many others do. I don't like how they compete with my outfit and jewelry. Do female students really use them?

I DO like the idea of a wallet or bag as a vehicle to deliver a personalized gift card. She is wayyyyyyyyy over Vera Bradley and also wristlets for the most part (she has a number of them). I know she isn't big on messenger bags so I am liking the idea of a backpack.. but sheesh, they are so personal. I am going to send her a few links from this thread.. and see if she bites. She is definitely going to need something to carry her books.

Also like the idea of a wallet but again, they are so personal. I don't think she's into LV yet .. but I am sure she'd happily GET into LV ha!

Love all the ideas .. they all help! I just don't know why I am so stumped with this one. Maybe because I am blocking out that the youngest girl is now a young woman! Yikes!

• deegw
    7 years ago

mtnrd, I know you are a planner extraordinaire but I can't emphasize enough how quickly Bean boots sell out when the weather turns cool. If you want them for fall I would definitely get them early this summer.

Funky, good luck with your shopping. My graduate wanted a paddle board!! Very practical for college. So, unfortunately I don't have anything helpful to add.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Thanks, DW. I know I should, I hear that all over. And last night when I went to look at the Burberry bag, I didn't see the color I wanted on the site and nearly panicked it was gone. It was just listed under a photo in another colorway, whew. I guess I need to get ordering but the girls are so nosy when boxes arrive!

ETA; Goodness, the Bean boots are already backordered!

Funky, Coach has some really cute wristlets.

In re key rings, I always see cute ones but never owned one. It occurred to me why. First, our cars have "bricks", not keys. My beach house key is hidden at the house, and we don't even lock our primary home. (we do have safes, when we bother). As far as dorms, a lot of those are keyless now, just like hotels. So it may be different for others, but I think keys may become less common.

BPathome, Lagniappe is not a word one comes across much! My Mom learned that word from her Louisiana college roommate, and we grew up saying it.

ETA -- I forgot to answer your q. I didn't see kids at BS wearing lanyards, dont know about college. I steadfastly refuse to wear one. Makes me feel like branded lifestock.

In re Uggs, they are a bit overdone. People still wear them but they are sort of de rigeur.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Funky - you mentioned that this is your 3rd nice to head off to college - do you think your other nieces might be able to give you some gift ideas?

My DD happened to call a few minutes ago and I asked her about the lanyard-she can't recall anyone who wore one and said most of the girls just kept their key in their purse or the pocket of their jeans if they were just running out for a few moments.

I asked if she had any gift ideas for a h.s. graduate and she didn't have a single suggestion (other than $). She isn't easy to buy for and wasn't even when she was in college. She has a strong streak of individualism and if she thought an item was popular or trendy (Ugg boots, Tiffany silver anything, Dooney bags and wristlets were hot then) then she'd do a 180.

My neighbor and I were at the King of Prussia Mall last week and I was surprised at how many Hunter boots I saw - most of them were worn by young, suburban women. But it was also a school day so that could explain why I didn't notice any teens.

• User
    7 years ago

I am enjoying this thread as most of what is mentioned here is new to me. Yes, I have heard of LLBean and Uggs but the desirability and trends is totally enlightening. I think those hunter boots are adorable and I don't think I have seen them but who knows. And I do not believe I have ever seen the word lagniappe before so thanks for further enlightenment and exposure into 2016.

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

I've been following this thread as we have a few graduation gifts to give this year. I really like all the suggestions for someone you know well, but what about someone you don't know well? We are giving a girl we don't know well cash, but would like to put a little something with it that is not cash. Any ideas? I know nothing about her, other than she is going to college on a soccer scholarship, has great grades and is involved in lots of volunteer activities. Thanks!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the continued suggestions and the answers to my questions! I have floated a few ideas and photos to her so I'll see what she responds to, if anything.

Maire-cate, all my nieces are sooooo different. Some eschew much in the way of "stuff" and some (like the one in question) doesn't understand why she can't have a walk-in closet in her dorm! She has a strong sense of personal style but while she puts her own mark on it, she definitely embraces what's "in". She also has a lot -- and I'd rather get her something she doesn't have. She could fill a box with her wristlets and little purses so I definitely don't want to go there.

Bluebell, much as I don't want to get a wristlet for my niece, I'd definitely consider one for a girl I didn't know well. Kate Spade has some cute inexpensive (to moderately priced) accessories-- everything from small purses, cute compact mirrors to stationary. Almost all of my nieces have stopped wearing/carrying coach but they were pretty big with them for awhile. I like coach for that age group because it wears so well.

My two youngest nieces (17 and 19) love the wall tapestries at Urban Outfitters. Also the string lights and the photo clips at UO.

I also like to give books for graduation. I will be getting my friend's son a book (TBD) as well as a personalized gift card.

• lolauren
    7 years ago

"I do have one question-- my sister said she was thinking about getting a
    pair of the sweater style uggs. This style and the moccasins are still
    worn quite a bit on campuses in PA (this is my third niece heading off
    to college in the last 6 yr). I am under the impression that they are
    "out" in most areas. Is this true? She wouldn't wear them out and about
    as much as like a slipper in the dorms."

Fashion bloggers are into them, so my guess is that the popularity is strong. Classic Cardy Uggs or Lattice Cardy Uggs. I never see the LL Bean boots, except maybe on a couple New England-esque blogs. Not in person. The Hunters are definitely still going strong. I see them in person constantly (in the right seasons,) and they are everywhere on blogs.

I think a Tiffany's piece of jewelry (or any piece of jewelry) is nice for that age. It would be something special, and I still notice that young women are wearing some of the classic pieces. I would guess that would work for your recipient, unless she has already been into jewelry for some time and/or has something from Tiffany's. If she doesn't, I think there is definite allure to someone in that age. Something like the Heart Tag bracelet ($300) could stay in the wardrobe for a long time.

*Sorry if that is out of budget. I skimmed the posts. :) If not, how about a pair of diamond stud earrings---from any jeweler? --- again, assuming she doesn't have any.

Funkyart thanked lolauren
  • Sueb20
    7 years ago

This may not work for you, because again it's a gift card but it is more personal... a few people gave my DS gift cards to specific casual restaurants/takeout places near his campus. I just thought it was a sweet idea to investigate what was nearby and get gift cards he could use on/near campus. For instance, right next to campus there's a Starbucks. Dunkin Donuts, Insanity Cookies, Bruegger's Bagels... etc. Oh, and someone gave him a gift card for his university book store, which I also thought was a great idea (not for books, since we paid for those, but for the other misc. that school bookstores sell, including t-shirts and junk food).

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sueb... I was absolutely planning to do that in some fun way but probably not for graduation. I WILL give her a personalized visa card but I want something to wrap up as well. I will likely do something with local gift cards for a care package once she's on campus.

Lolauren, I LOVE the idea of diamond studs but I am just not sure it's wise for a college freshman. It IS college.. not an adult apartment. I know plenty of girls go to college with nice jewelry but she would be crushed if they were lost or stolen.. especially because she can't wear jewelry for her sport so she would be taking them on/off. I think I'd be more inclined to go that route for college graduation.

In general, she isn't much of a jewelry girl. She has a few sweet pieces and a few boho pieces that she wears but isn't asking for more. Jewelry would be my gift of choice but I don't want to force it on her.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Ooh ooh, I have an idea,

its kind of a play on her thinking she is going to the tundra, and her fondness for Burberry .... Burberry earmuffs!

I'm not sure they are made anymore but here they are, new for $137

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-BURBERRY-Check-Cashmere-Earmuffs-One-Size-/201579332874?hash=item2eef10850a:g:KrkAAOSwzhVWs5b1

My girls wear earmuffs a lot ... Keeps ears warm but hair in tact.

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Those are adorable!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Ooh, they have them on Tradesy too. Including really pretty pale pink and tan ones. I've had good success with Tradesy btw.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love earmuffs-- and these are adorable! I have bought them for her before but it's been awhile.. and they'll look so darn sweet with her coloring.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

All this Burberry love does surprise me, do people really like the association with something so brand definable? I have always assumed most do not.

I would put Coach C's and Louis Vuitton V's and whatever, in the same class. It all seems crass, vulgar and so unoriginal.

The outward portrayal of logo's and signature looks, anyway.

I do recognize luxury brands may be made well.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Bumblebeez, it varies a lot how people feel about this. Of course the wild international success of these brands means a lot of people do like to wear or carry things clearly ID'd with brands.

I am surprised how much, among my kids' friends, they do like these very recognizable brands. Some of which I perceive as being kind of old lady almost, or at least not very current.

For example, I have one Burberry bag, about 12-15 yrs old. I had it in storage. I came across it and started wearing it. I was surprised my girls though it was "in", but then I looked at their website and I can see why; they've done a lot with the brand. I also have a raincoat from them, but that was years back and very much about quality; the plaid was not well know at the time.

They definitely like LV and more accessible names like Coach and Kate Spade and Tory Burch. I was so surprised when they were shopping at Sephora and liked Chanel No. 5! My MOM wore that.

OTOH, my kids and their friends also like to shop at Goodwill and thrift stores and like having something Boho no one else has.

I think the very high end stuff is made well (I wrote about my 17yr old LV wallet once before) but I don't think that is the driver at all TBH. I like the classic LV monogram because I think it looks good with any color, and dressed up or down. But I also think it has been copied and faked so heavily that it really does not have cache in elite circles, and in fact the opposite is true. I like it anyway.

But my new favorite bag I just got for $125 at my hair salon, and all last summer I carried a straw tote someone on here recommended, Mar Y Sol? Great and very reasonable.

I think name brands are esp. popular as gifts, because face it they are not just expensive but overpriced for what you get and people often would not buy them themselves. Even the pricier bags are a fraction of what it would cost to dress in the clothes, so they are really an indulgence for poseurs.

Funky,

Then maybe something else high end or special that plays off of her fear of the barren tundra that is Connecticut in September. A few years ago I got my girls real mink muffs from Esty for like 40 bucks, but fur is controversial.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

haha, Mtn. I feel sorry for her having to endure the oppressive Sept weather! ;)

No, no! I love the burberry earmuffs-- they'll work well for her! I am also waiting to hear what she thinks about the duluth pack. I like both a lot.

Funny you mentioned Chanel No 5. I laughed when she told me a boy "friend" gave her a bottle for Christmas. I wore no 19 and no 21 when I was young.. but never No 5. I also think of it as "old lady". Of course, I also wore Loves Baby Soft and Loves Fresh Lemon so my taste may be in question!!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I love that Duluth pack, the very graphic pattern and simple lines.

Oh yes I had Loved Baby Soft and Lemon, too. I still like Lemon!

• jojoco
    7 years ago

Sorry I'm so late to this party. My daughter is graduating from a northeast college tomorrow and I feel like I know that landscape well, also having grown up in the Northeast. My suggestion (and apologies if it's already been mentioned) would be a pair of Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses. Every girl has them.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have thought of sunglasses too Jojoco! She has ray bans for softball but there's always a new pair on the horizon! I remember her mentioning a pair of designer glasses a few months ago. Tiffany? Chanel? It was something familiar but I can't remember which. I will add that to the list of possibilities! And congrats to your daughter!

My niece didnt get my email.. so no feedback on the duluth pack yet. I am going to talk to her in a little bit.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ding Ding Ding. I have a winner. Just a few weeks ago, someone sat on her rayban aviators -- they didnt break but they don't sit well on her face anymore. She is also looking to get another color-- she has mirrored green to match her school colors which will now change. The RayBans and a customized visa card will be perfect!

I am still enamored with the Duluth Packs and I think I may go with one of those for my bff's son. I like the men's styles and they fit HIS style.

She totally nixed earmuffs lol. She was sweet and polite about it.. but I read between the lines and heard "no way" LOL. This may all change when she finds herself walking to classes instead of driving to school.. we'll see :)

Thank you all.. hope others got some good ideas too.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Raybans are a super idea! Brava.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Well that's great news - the perfect gift - one that she not only wants but needs too. There are times when I wonder why I don't just keep a notebook or list on my computer of all the great gift ideas that are posted here........

and the thoughtful words of advice

and the helpful decorating tips

and the hotels, restaurants and vacation itineraries

or what to wear if I ever get to dance with an elephant!

...............and on and on!

Maire

Funkyart thanked maire_cate
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Exactly, Maire-cate! It won't be a surprise but she's excited too.. she just texted me that she's on her way to the sunglass hut to try on new colors!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I spent the evening with my niece.. we tried on, selected and purchased her new raybans. Unfortunately the color we liked best doesn't come polarized.. but she loves the ones we chose. (And I found a pair of versace glasses that we both loved for me! I am glad I stalled buying them because I found them online much cheaper-- which is good because I need to have prescription lenses put in them)

Just wanted to return and share that she LOVES the duluth pack above-- but she does already have a bag she plans to use. She has a tall pair of hunter boots (which I thought) but she did say she wants a short pair too (it's all about the socks over the boots!) So all of these are good suggestions. She also mentioned lululemon leggings.

Again, hope others are able to use some of these ideas! So many great ones. Thank you all again! I will be saving this for Christmas ideas as well.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

That's so nice that the two of you were able to spend the evening together and select just the right Raybans. Finding a pair for yourself was an added bonus. Your niece is a lucky girl to have a special aunt in her life.

My best friend of 30+ years and I went into Philly today looking for a gift for her daughter who is graduating law school next week. We both plan on giving money but we also were hoping to find something more personal. Obviously my cash gift will be significantly less that the amount her parents will give but we both were hoping to find something special. It seemed like we hit just about every boutique along Walnut and Chestnut and would have continued but it started to rain. We ended up on Rittenhouse Square - I found a necklace at Lagos and she decided on Tumi luggage.

What a relief - I'm glad that's over.

Maire

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maire-cate, it was a very special evening. She is at the age and the stage before graduation when her time is very limited. I was touched that she wanted to come with me (she pretty much knew what she wanted).

I am sorry that rain fell on your shopping trip but it sounds like it worked out for you. I only recently discovered Lagos and I really like the style. In fact, I love the idea of their "Generations" line (for mother and daughter). My sister and niece are VERY close and my sister is really struggling with the thought of being so far away from her daughter. I thought about getting them one of the generations sets.. there's just not one that i think matches both their styles.

Glad you found a great gift. It's such a relief, yes?