SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocean197913

Are Your Mango Trees YAY or NAY This Year?

Mia Miami
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Are Your Mango Trees YAY or NAY This Year? and where are you located? I'm in North Miami, FL and this year my tree is NAY :( last year it was YAY!. I've been renting here for 4 yrs and it seems the tree that is part of my rental area is either YAY or SAD every other year. Last year at this time I was filling my freezer with chopped mango and couldn't give them away fast enough. Last year a month or two ago I was raking up tons of tiny golf ball and marble sized mangos and this year hardly anything has fallen and up in the trees there are about 3% the amount of mangoes that there were last year. They are almost about the size of a tennis ball. Sad. I was hoping for another freezer full this year :( I'll be lucky if I get 25 decent ones this season.

Comments (131)

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    7 years ago

Hi Nancy, Good to know ( in a sympathetic way ) that I am not the only one trying to confront these crafty critters. Have learned over the last 16 years that it goes with the territory, as I'm sure you also know.
    Swore I saw my wabbit yesterday morning, as he emerged from his trench under my wooden fence, holding up a sign saying " Rabbit Lives Matter Too ! "
    ! can't argue with that. He'll get his and I'll get mine,..even tho it looks like I may lose the war, I am content.
    Maybe it's the way it should be,..as right now I am harvesting more than I can handle,..almost ! ( smile ) But to update the score, as I came home 1 1/2 hrs ago, I immediately went out back and found TWO RIPE ORANGE.YELLOW BEAUTIES in the grass under the Glenn tree !! New score : Critter 6 ; Jofus 6 !!
    Glad to hear your trees are at least putting out some mango's, the most delicious fruits I have ever eaten ! Up north, I thought peaches were the ultimate !
    Fairly similar, but I now think that mango's are # 1 !
    All my neighbors now are smiling and waving at me,..prior to before when I had no mango's to give away ! lol

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

I think you are crafty for letting that rabbit enjoy some mangoes at least for a while. I'm sure the mangoes will sweeten the meat for the best rabbit stew ever! lol!!!

• Related Discussions

Little trees in pots: Yay or nay?

Q

Comments (6)
    Trees will grow fine in a container with some caveats. Trees in containers should not/cannot grow as large as the same tree in the ground if it is a large tree. This is due to root restrictions. Imagine a 50' tree in a 16" container and you see the logical absurdity in the proposition. Having said that a very young tree in a reasonably large pot will do just fine and doesn't require transplanting to the ground until it starts to become root bound. At this point it requires either a larger container, being put into the ground or root pruning which will limit it's size (think bonsai). One other caveat is that a tree in a container should not be grown in dirt. In the earth (dirt)we have natural processes which continually move water, nutrients and oxygen throughout the soil. In a container we have none of this so the growing medium should be much, much lighter so ample oxygen can reach the roots, watering requirements will be much higher and we will need to fertilize regularly whereas a tree in reasonably fertile ground in an area with good rainfall may never need supplemental water or fertilizer. If you think you will keep this tree in a container for more than a year please visit the container gardening forum for ideas on how to keep this tree as healthy as possible until you can put it in the ground.
    ...See More

Sea Holly - yay or nay?

Q

Comments (8)
    I planted the 'Hobbit' this summer, then realized it wasn't in a good spot (too short) and moved it -- then, the 100 degree days came and it was my fault for moving it, but then, I didn't have a crystal ball to know that this would be an impossible summer to plant anything new. So, I can't say if I liked it or not. Echinops 'ritro' (globe thistle) has been in my garden for four years and hasn't spread because the rabbits eat it (not the deer). I forgot to spray it with rabbit repellent before going on vacation this year and they ate it to the ground. It has come back, but hasn't bloomed for the first time since I've owned it. When it blooms, it is a stunning blue. That said, it hates rain and humidity, so I have to cut it back after it blooms. Cameron
    ...See More

100 Year Old Mango Tree - How often does fruit bloom?

Q

Comments (11)
    It's not a Carrie. Carrie is a semi-dwarf tree. Most of the "Old" mango trees are usually Haden's or Haden seedlings as the number of varieties available in the US were fairly was limited at the time and Haden was the dominant variety. Haden is also a large tree as well. Mango trees can live for 300 years, but in most sub-tropical climates in the USA a 50 year freeze will knock a lot of them out. Mangos depending on variety are inconsistent bearers and weather plays a large part from year to year. Mango flowers are damaged or killed below 40 degrees.
    ...See More

Where to prune 1 year old mango tree?

Q

Comments (20)
    Hey there Mango mango, I was actually just responding to your question above since I haven't been on this thread for a couple weeks. To answer your question, pruning should be done after harvest of the fruit. I see it all the time- mango trees are as big as dinosaurs here and many people prune vigorously after the summer is over and after harvest. Here's a link which discusses pruning and answers the question: http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/AgNatRes/Pubs/Pruning_Mango_Trees.pdf Also, I'm far from being an expert on soils- or any other gardening topic for the matter- but I took the advice of a neighbor and used a combination more or less of this mix: 40% natural soil from my backyard, 40% specialized Hawaii potting soil, and about 10% gravel and perlite. I know it seems weird to use bagged potting soil instead of bagged garden soil, but my neighbor said that this mix would be beneficial for its added nutrients. I topped it off with some mulch, but the area needs work because so much grass is growing in the area.
    ...See More
  • Mia Miami
    Original Author
    7 years ago

hahahah " rabbits lives matter "

• tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
    7 years ago

I think the squirrels and rabbits are in cahoots with each other. The squirrels knock the mangos out of the tree and the rabbits share in the ill-gotten bounty.

They are ahead of me on the harvest too. So far we have a few sweet fruits but they have the upper hand.

Brunswick stew with a mango sauce is looking good...

Craig

• Mia Miami
    Original Author
    7 years ago

tcgardener, I think you are right, they def must be in cahoots. I think the iguanas play a role in it too.

7 years ago

Luckily no iguanas in my neighborhood. We have way too many at work in West Palm.

My dogs love mangos too. If Find one with minimal critter damage I cut up the unmolested side for them. At least the whole mango doesn't go to waste.

• Mia Miami
    Original Author
    7 years ago

hahah. if I find a "molested" mango I throw it way down to the other end of the property were I rarely go for the iguanas to party on :p

• Oasis_Orlando
    7 years ago

Oh myyy..thank God Rabbits or squirrels don't frequent my parts.Active hawk population around me apparently helps keep there numbers down.Not to say I ain't keeping an eye on my bountiful crop of 5 mangos..fingers crossed they make it to maturity

• Mia Miami
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Heh I think my tree may have about 5 mangoes left in it. I'd say maybe 50 dropped this year. Better luck next year.

7 years ago

I feel your pain Mia,..better luck in 2017 !

All's quiet on the " western front " as we here head into the homestretch of this mango season. My competition with the rabbit,.. the only fruits I have been counting are the mango's that fall to the ground by themselves, whether at night or during the day ! Latest score is : Rabbit 6 ; Jofus 10 !

A gorgeous, quiet morning here, - and it's July 4th yet ! Could not help but smile as I stepped out into my plantation at 06:30 AM. I was realizing how lucky we've been hereabouts to have had a nice fruitful ( smile ) season after such a tenuous, windy start. I promptly found three big yellow/orange mango's hiding in the grass under the Glenn tree, ( the only tree producing ripe fruit now, but it WAS LOADED ! ), and also picked up three more that literally fell off the tree as I brushed against the branches ! The pickings have been so easy lately, as long as I get out early !! Capping it off this morning, I checked the other 3 trees ( nothing ripe ), entered thru the screen lanai door next to the 20 ft tall Southern Magnolia on the front lawn. That tree, right now has at least EIGHT huge white blossoms, each w/10 - 11 inch diameters in full bloom,..IN JULY !!!! Amazing, don't recall so many blossoms so late in the year. The intense magnolia aroma permeating that area was heavenly so early in the day.

Then inside, deposited the 6 new ripe guys among the 20 + mango's already on the kitchen counter slowly ripening which gave the kitchen a distinct fruity aroma, - I was almost hypnotized by the one, two of those two pleasant scents ! Side benefits of being a fruit farmer ! ( smile )

A great day,..will just chill out at home and process 20 + mango's. Should keep me real busy ! A Happy July 4th to ALL !

• Mia Miami
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nice! Last year I had so many falling that the dogs were not allowed to hang out under the tree for fear of a falling mango knocking them out. :P

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

My chocolate lab would be catching them before they could hit the ground. ;)

7 years ago

If only a big heavy mango could drop on the rabbits head. Yesterday with the neighbors setting off loads of fireworks I saw a rabbit munching on a fallen mango. Really thought they were nocturnal marauders.

Luckily my other neighbor has offered me all of their fruits. Lucky day for sure!!!

• Mia Miami
    Original Author
    7 years ago

awesome. we had some clients at work bring us some beautiful mangoes. they are ones that could win a beauty contest. they are in the fridge getting nice and cold :)

7 years ago

Just returned an hour ago from our park's huge inground pool, - where I met a friend as I was on the way out. Had given him a few of my ripe Glenn mango's a week ago, neither he nor his wife had ever tasted a mango.. This morning his eyes lit up when he saw me and proceeded to go on excitedly how he and his wife LOVED them. After they devoured those mango's, his wife went over to our local Walmart and bought some of the ones they had for sale.
    " THEY TASTED HORRIBLE IN COMPARISON " he shouts. lol
    " Yeah Bob, store bought mango's don't taste the same. I brought you over a few more that just fell off my trees this morning, you want them ? " He went ballistic, like all his birthdays had come together - so nice getting some positive feedback once in awhile ! ( smile )

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

SO true, that's why I'm very confused when someone tells me "they don't like mango"! I ask where they got them from and of course their answer is normally from the grocery store...I always tell them those are picked green, immersed in boiling water to kill any bugs and or diseases...sits in the warehouse for several days/weeks and then shipped to stores. They have halted the process of ripening properly...I would hate mango too if that was all I had to compare it too...

Nothing like homegrown fresh ripened mangoes :o)

Wish I lived closer to you Jofus, Lol...

7 years ago

Also, the store mango's are selected because of their bright colors, not their taste !

Season is almost over Nancy, but next year would be happy to mail you a box of them. This was a strange season for sure. After that tornado and the hi winds in Feb & March,..I just raked up the many small mango's on the lawn and reconciled myself to a NAY year. But lo and behold the Glenn took off admirably,..I was blown away ! lol

My first Pickering's started ripening a week ago., - have eaten a few but IMHO, they don't taste as good as the Glenn's. I really cannot wait for the last mango to drop,..both freezers are full,...now just need a rest ! ( smile )

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Thanks for the kind offer JOfus...I'm very fortunate enough to have some this season...plus it will cost an arm and a leg to ship those heavy mangoes, a visit may be cheaper Lol...Appreciate it!!

• Mia Miami
    Original Author
    7 years ago

well jofus you know who to give some mangoes to from now on :P its nice finding people who really appreciate them. free fruit is a great gift. he prob felt the way I did the first time I had fresh pineapple. Ill never eat canned again. I like to grow the tops for plants now :)

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

You are so right Mia, nothing like fresh homegrown fruits and veggies :o)

7 years ago

Sadly our mango season is about over, only a couple of fruits left on the tree. It was the best year for our Baily's Marvel tree with some mangos weighing close to 2 lbs.

• Oasis_Orlando
    7 years ago

Sweet

7 years ago

Nice looking mango's Craig. It's basically the same here, a season that started off questionably with lots of high winds, but my Glenn re-habbed astoundingly and produced loads of lush 1 - 1 1/4 pounders ! Season is over for the early season guys but I do have 2 late season trees, a Tebow and a Kent, both with a dozen or so giants still hanging on. No huge harvests from either, but signs that 2017 will be much better.

• Gilbert Orlando Fl (Zone 9b)
    7 years ago

Lets hope....

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

I have a Mango Tree we bought 4 years ago. It's grown quite a lot. First year we have fruit, very large Mangos which are still green and hard. The name of the tree is Harvest Moon Mango. The mangos are the size of basketballs (almost). Last year we had one and it split while still hanging.

This year I have 9 which are still hanging. As I said, no sign of ripening and some are low to the ground.

I am in Sarasota, it has rained every day for over a month. Everything is soaked and with the heat and humidity, I'm getting worried about the fruit.

Took these pictures the other day and I can see one split and the others look like they are getting black streaks on them.

Should I spray the fruit with a fungicide? Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions??

Jane

• Oasis_Orlando
    7 years ago

Wow....it's the excessive rains that's causing those mangos to split.Not much we can do about mother mature so you are at her mercy.Hopefully you will have a few survivor's...fingers crossed

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Yes I agree with Oasis...those are splitting due to the excessive rain you've had, a few of mine had done the same thing...the streaks are also very common due to the humidity. Its called Anthracnose and it is a fungus...but you have to start spraying it during bloom and to keep the fruits "clean" you have to do it monthly :o(...I usually just let it go because I don't want to spray the fruits that ofte. I do however spray them during bloom time or I won't get much mangoes set...

Jane, I had to google your variety of mango...I've never heard of Harvest Moon. It looks like Top Tropicals and Ebay are the only ones that carry them...is that where you bought yours? It might be a late variety. I have Keitts and they won't be ripe till end Mid to late August into Sept. I would wait for some coloring before I pick those, from the looks of the pictures they are suppose to be very pretty and very colorful...Enjoy them...

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?script_param=Z3JvdXA9ZnJ1aXQ=&FirstItem=275&old=fruit

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

A lawn crew cleaned out "my" mango tree a few days ago. The tree is on a friend's property which he has for sale. He doesn't eat mangoes so I have had the pleasure of picking up a fruit or two each day when I walk my dog. The tree crew has the account for the adjacent property. Those illegal alien bastages even broke some limbs as they climbed all over the poor thing. Best crop I had ever seen on it too. :(

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Oh man CaptTrubo!!! That is just terrible news!! Do you know what variety it was?

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

No, the owner doesn't know what it is. They sure are wonderful though. The woman he bought the place had planted it and she planted one in a pot for me years ago but then gave it to someone else. Said she would plant a new one for me but then she sold out and disappeared. I have tried repeatedly to get the pits from it to sprout but have had no success.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Find a young seedling of some other variety and graft from that tree. It's not that hard to do. Youtube is your friend.

Oh, and unless you saw them, it might not have been the tree crew. When I lived in S FL there were plenty of people who trolled the streets and alleys looking for fruit to steal. They broke a lot of branches because they were always in a hurry to grab as much as they could and then get out before anyone saw them.

Friends had 3 threes that produced the best mangos I've ever eaten. Unknown variety. But there was an alley behind their house and every year they'd come home one day and find the trees stripped and branches everywhere.

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

Puglvr, I bought the tree at a tropical fruit tree fair in Sarasota 4 years ago. The vendor said it was a great mango so we bought it. So far we have no idea.

Today I went out to check on the fruit and three of the biggest mangos were gone. I was so upset! One was so large I put a chair under it to keep it off the ground. I had chicken wire over it to keep animals away.

Well, something pulled off the wire and took the fruit. The two mangos in my above photo were gone. I'm sick over this! I've never gotten a fruit from this tree and its apparent some large animal was able to carry three away.

My husband thinks raccoons, possibly.

Jane

7 years ago

I personally think it's a two-legged critter !

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Jane, I am SO sorry!! Been there in your shoes and it is NO fun!! Its very possible its raccoons or a two legged critter :o(...is it in your back yard? Did you use chicken wire and enclose the mango? I sure hope you're able to try at least one....I wonder If you should pick one green and try to ripen it on the counter? At this point you may want to try that...its better than losing all of them to critters...2 legged or 4 :o(

I had one of my late variety mango ( very hard and green) fall of the tree 2 weeks ago and I let it ripen on the counter...it took about 10-11 days but it eventually ripened enough to eat...granted it would have been better if it stayed on the tree but it wasn't bad at all...it was sweet but not tree ripened sweet... Best of luck on the rest!

• Oasis_Orlando
    7 years ago

Jane I'm sure whatever it was that took those mangos conveniently overlooked the split mangos I n lieu of the undamaged ones...so now you have too contend with mother nature and also 2 or 4 legged bandits...life isn't fair...good luck

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

Piglvr, that's what my husband said, 'pick them'!

I did have the chicken wire over the fruit on the chair. It was still there, mango gone. That was the biggest.

jane

7 years ago

Mama Mia Miami ! ( smile ) Thought my mango season was over 10 days ago,...then yesterday I saw it ! A medium sized ( for a Kent ) dark red gem still attached to a high up branch ( 14, 15 ft ? ) buried inside the lush & dense canopy of that, so far, slightly lethargic tree. It's still there this morning. On August 3rd ? Can't recall ever having a Kent hang on this long,...hmm, maybe loosely tie a small net under it ? Naw, knowin' me I'll knock it down. Doesn't take much to get me excited ! lol

So technically, my mango season isn't over yet ! Nice,..just love Florida !

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

Pick it quick before the Mexicans or the squirrels beat you to it!

7 years ago

Aye, Aye Capt,..initially did as ordered,..got out my telescoping fruit picker and pulled at the handsome guy a few times. Last two times I pulled hard ! However, the plucky mango was well attached and seemed to have no desire to be picked at this time. So, rather than use excessive brute force, I let him be for now. So I just felt I had to disobey order's. Hope this does not mean brig time,..had enough of that 60 yrs ago !!! ( smile )
    However, will keep a close eye on him, your order was a smart one, but just had to back off for time being.
    Think I'll now visit my local American Legion and run this past my ex- Seal, Marine & Army buddies,.. over a few brewskies of course.
    Yikes,..what a dull life, eh ? lol

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

Very well mate, but we will have to assign a watchman. If we find the blighger we will definitely keelhaul him and feed him to the fish! Arrrr!

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Lol...Jofus, might be best not to force it down, if it was close to ready it would have come off fairly easily...Kent is suppose to be a late variety. I notice a Mango Farm down south that stated Kent and Keitt will be available for sale starting next week...

I still have one tree ( Keitt) that has about a dozen large mangoes on it :o)...won't be ready for another 2-4 weeks...I've picked the last one mid Sept. one year. That's the reason I planted this one so I can extend my mango till Sept. Lol

7 years ago

Thanks for the info Nancy, always appreciate your thoughts.

7 years ago

Capt : Thanks for absolving me,..any blighter caught near that tree will be beaten badly and flogged,..can't keel-haul 'em cause I haven't a big ship like you have ! ( smile )

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

Just an update. I covered the last two Mangos with bird netting and chicken wire. I was sure whatever was grabbing my Mangos couldn't get through this. Today, I checked, only one Mango left. I looked to see how the 'sucker' got the Mango. The bird netting was ripped open.I found the stolen Mango about 20 ft away, half chewed.

One Mango left. Green and hard. I picked it. I've never tasted a Mango from this tree. Something has it in for this tree. I know it is a critter, but not sure which.

I'm so disturbed by this. I can see I'll never get anything off this tree. I'm thinking I should plant an earlier variety. Maybe that will help.

Jane

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

Wow Jane, you are up against a serious foe! I don't know what more you can besides setting up a machine gun nest and equipping it with thermal imaging and auto targeting like what we should have on our southern border.

7 years ago

Yes Jane, obviously a critter. As long as you're happy with your tree, now time to turn your attention to the ruthless bandit(s).
    My story : Had the same problem around 4 1/2 years ago,..my foes were squirrels, birds and a few rabbits. I had gotten in over my head with a couple of small avocado trees, a couple of smallish but fast growing peach trees and six young mango trees ! The birds were only interested in the peaches, so they're ( hopefully ) not a concern for you.
    The voracious attacks were almost daily so had to something !
    After using " The Old Craigslist Trick " twice, I quickly got rid of both of the avocado and peach trees, and one mango tree. That left me with five mango trees, was not eliminating any more !! Critters ( except for the birds ) were still mauling, so that's when I bought one of those Havahart spring loaded metal traps. Using the appropriate baits, within the next five ( 5 ) weeks trapped six ( 6 ) squirrels and two ( 2 ) rabbits. After disposing of them ( no comment ) my critter problem disappeared ! Since then have only had to deal with an isolated sneak attack,...nothing like it was !

I think they communicate with each other, " Hey, stay away from that guy's yard, he's a whacko !! " ( smile )
    Just my 2 cents ! Good luck !

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

Wow, funny story! I'm thinking raccoons because the thief comes in the middle of the night.

Jane

7 years ago

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw033

They talk about & show pics of the exact traps I used. They are legal in Florida, as they state. Up to you after they are trapped,..." yo se nada " !

• jane__ny
    7 years ago

Trap raccoons? I'm not sure about that. They are big animals I wouldn't want to mess with.

jane

• CaptTurbo
    7 years ago

I trapped coons as a kid but mostly just shot them out of trees. I trapped lots of muskrats from our ponds and creeks though. Depending on your emotional design might determine whether to use a kill trap, a live trap, or a quality air rifle for the job.