SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Tortilla press to make pita bread

Right after lunch, I made dough for pita bread (or lavash), and I had the idea to use my tortilla press to shape the pita bread. Does this sound like a good idea?

How do you bake your pita? I made lavash with this recipe before, and I rolled it out too thin, and it came out more like a huge cracker. I think my oven will get to 500, if necessary, and it is fairly cool today, and so I left the dough on my counter, where it will sit for three hours before I get back to it. Since the kitchen is cool (about 69-70°), I do not think that will be a problem.

Any other tips on baking pita? I made hummus yesterday and then realized that we did not have bread, and so we ate it with TJ rice crackers, which I bought by accident - I thought they were going to be wheat crackers, and it was not at all obvious that they were brittle crunchy rice crackers until I ate one and then checked the ingredients. They are okay, but they taste like Chinese rice crackers, which is okay with hummus but not exactly what I wanted.

Comments (6)