SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawksster

Lawn renovation (again), please help

hawksster .
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am currently re-renovation my lawn & would help to make this attempt successful.

In 2010 we purchased a home, removed tons of hay from the yard (September), tilled the soil, laid 90/10 Fescue sod (October) from a local distributor, and essentially had problems ever since. I followed the advice of the nursery 1 mile from my home & the yard just got worse every year. As instructed, I water 3-4 days/wk (morning & night) until drought restrictions dictated otherwise. I used the Scotts brand fertilizers/weed & feeds, etc. 4x yr. Every year my lawn just became a larger weed patch and even attempts to overseed were fruitless.

2/2016 Killed "lawn" (weed patch, no grass at all this year, just weeds up to 2 ft tall with all the rain)

3/19-20/2016 Rototilled yard

3/21/2016 Found this forum & realized my current plan needed an overhaul.

I'm now in no rush to complete the project, after learning Fall is a better time to seed. I just want it done correctly this time. I want to start the lawn from seed and I am open to suggested type/brand/etc. I am open to chemical and/or organic methods. Do I need topsoil, compost, humus, etc? How often/when should I perform soil sampling?

My lawn gets a lot of sun. Water is a non issue (I'm redoing the sprinkler system also). Total area is ~2800 sq/ft. We are in Central Valley, CA.

My two biggest issues have been gophers & weeds of course. I live next to a large, city owned field & gophers are a real problem. Just this week I have trapped 4.

Thanks in advance

Lawn Renovation · More Info

Comments (75)