SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan820

Grow Dome Greenhouse Raised Beds-- soil help needed

ryan820
8 years ago

Hello-- I had a 26' (diamater) grow dome greenhouse constructed last August and I have finally completed the raised beds inside. The beds are two feet tall and are that way for a few reasons-- 1. thermal mass and 2. easier on me :) They are roughly 30 inches wide and span the entire perimeter of the dome minus space for the doorway and the inside pond. There are also two raised center beds-- one is relatively small (think 5x5 but in a weird shape because of the dome shape) and the other is substantial! Either way I look at it, I will be filling a fairly BIG volume of space and I think I need some input to help me decide how to proceed.

1. I will be growing veggies of all sorts to feed my family and MOST plants don't need 2 feet deep soil. I want to fill the first two feet with straw or some other organic filler that can decompose slowy.

2. What components show I use to create my soil? I can certainly order soil and amend it with perlite etc but I suspect that isn't going to do well long term. Would it be unreasonable to create a 511 mix? Again, the volume is substantial, even with the first foot filled up with essentially inert material.

3. The plants I'm growing in these beds will be everything from cold to warm crops, from herbs to strawberries and tomatoes. In the beds I'll also grow trees-- citrus, fig and even almond. The trees, however, will be grow in rigid cylinders that have access to the native soil-- meaning they will not interact with the rest of the bed soil but will be contained in their own so as to NOT fill the bed with their roots (figs are known to be voracious with their roots). I also grow roses and grapes already in the dome (and successfully, too! Having had non-stop roses and our first grapes already).

I'm not really sure where to start with the bed components and any input is appreciated. Please let me know if you need more info, too!

Ryan

Comments (3)