SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fernhillhall

Help making raised bed soil mix

fernhillhall
12 years ago

I'm a first-timer with raised bed gardening, and I need your experience about soil building.

I've built two large raised beds 8" high. The soil the beds sit on was pretty compacted sandy loam, (heavy on the silt) with decent drainage, and has never been amended. I pulled all weeds/grass and turned the soil to a shovel depth to loosen it up. Then I layered on 2" shredded leaves, 2" composted horse manure, and 2" composted rice hulls. This was done in early June and left to settle. Today I dug down through the layers and found an abundance of worms, no sign of the original shredded leaves, very moist soil, manure and hulls under a dry 1" or less top layer of hulls, (we had 1" of rain 3 days ago). The beds need another 2-3 inches of fill and I'm considering what to add, when to test the soil, and whether to double dig it all to mix everything together, or just let the worms slowly till it for me kind of lasagna style.

I'm wondering if I should add something to create sharper drainage, as the soil and manure are a bit too sticky/damp. Although slightly less damp when I mixed all the layers together with the bottom soil it still didn't pass the "clump falls apart when touched" test. (I just mixed a small patch, the rest is still layered). I don't have near enough finished compost, so as an alternative should I add more shredded leaves in the fall, and/or possibly some crushed granite? I was thinking maybe 2" of leaves and 1" of granite? Should I be adding more topsoil? We don't have any extra soil so I'd have to buy it. I was planning to let the topped off beds sit till next spring and then get a soil test to see if I need to add any supplements for fertility. I'd like to grow vegies and edible flowers beginning next spring.

I've learned so much from this form about how to develop great soil. Our soil was pretty bleak when we moved here 6 years ago. Now it's teaming with life thanks to all the organic material we have double dug into it and mulched with. With the raised bed approach I don't feel confident about what to do next. I eagerly await your advice. Thanks.

Comments (5)