SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmblovely

How would you deal with a SD who acts as if your BK's doesn't exist?

Sugarspice
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all,

I have SD20 who I've known since she was 9 months. Dh and I have 4 Bk's together. Our oldest is 16 and youngest is 6. We moved out of state when SD was 9 for my Dh job. My Sd since, has acted as though our Bk's does not exist. She will group text my Dh and I and wants to be a big part of our (even me) life but will not call our Bk's at all. Even on their birthdays (our dd's bday is 2 days before hers) and says she forgot their birthday when we have asked in the past why she don't call. She never ask us about them when talking to us via phone or text. They love her dearly.

We visit our home state at least 2 times a year and she will shower them with love by buying things for them and tickling the 2 little boys for a little while, but she's more interested in interacting more with my Dh and I than our kids (while my Osd shows more interest in our Bk's than us). The times we have asked her about it she says she loves our Bk's and her other sister from her BM says the same thing but she shows more interest In the Bm's daughter. She will try to contact our ODS every now and then but our DD13 she doesn't acknowledge at all and the 2 YS's 7 and 6 were born while living in the state were in now so she never bonded with them.

My Dh and I have overlooked it for the most part, hoping she will grow out of it but she is an adult now and nothing has changed, if anything she seems more comfortable with acting as though they don't exist. I'm starting to feel like I'm betraying my Bk's by going along with my relationship with SD while they feel hurt by her actions. I also feel like Dh and I are enabling her behavior by ignoring it. Sometimes I feel like telling her if she can't acknowledge my kids than I won't acknowledge her anymore. I know that's not right either. And let I said, she is not mean to them at all when she see's them she just prefer to act as though they are not here. I don't know what to do. I do think she resents our kids bc they live in our household and have the relationship with her dad she never had but it's not their fault. Have anyone ever went through this?

Comments (3)