SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
transnationalq

Window Placement - Aesthetics and Costs

transnationalq
8 years ago

Hey folks!

So, now I'm looking for input on window size and positioning in our new addition.

The window is in the new dining area and really the purpose is to get a view of our pond like this:

Understandably, as we're bumping out the kitchen we'll be changing the viewing angle. This is taken from the deck just outside the current kitchen door.

This is the new view from the 8' 10" window:

So... the panel at the end really blocks the view and I'm of the opinion we should get rid of it and have the window as far out to the corner of the wall as possible. The dilemma is the position of the window in the room, and how it would look from the outside.

The below plan shows how it would look if we moved the window as close to the corner as possible maintaining the size.

The plan with the 8' 10" window

The 8' 10" window from the outside

Inside view

The other option is to widen the window by 'stretching' it to as far possible towards the corner which would 'stretch' it to 10' 11". Now, this would effect the kind of header used. At the moment, we have what you can see in the second photo from the top. The builder has advised that we may need to get an 'engineered design' - is that correct? What would it take to redo the rough opening for a larger window?

Plan with the 10' 11" window

The 10' 11 window from the outside

From the inside

My thoughts on this are; It would be fine to keep and shift the 8' something window to the corner but it might be 'nicer' to 'stretch' the window so it looks balanced both from inside and outside and we get to keep as much of the view as possible.

So Houzzers - thoughts on position and size of the window and what it would take to make that RO bigger for the larger window without having to get a structural engineer involved and push up costs even more.

Thanks!

Comments (40)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio