SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_wa

Lithops seedling project

Kim
8 years ago

I started some Lithops seeds about a month ago, thought I would post progress pictures. I plan to do another round in October, but found enough sites making the argument for spring sowing I thought I would give it a shot. These are in a mix of cactus soil, horticultural sand, and some extra pumice with a bit of extra sand on top. I have them in ziplock bags, and occasionally mist and wipe the condensation from the sides. They are currently growing under a light and will likely stay under it for the time being. Not sure the light specs, it is a double bulb floluorescent I picked up from a local grower. Have not had great germination rates, and I suspect I have done everything wrong, but better than nothing! Each species is from a 25 pack of seed.

Lithops schwantessii var urikosens. These have done the best for me out of the group. (Pictures taken with 0 magnification.)

I should have magnified this one! I have slowed down on misting and have been leaving the bags open, do not like that there is algae growing on this one. But do you see the speck? IThe tiny little dot of green in the upper right? It's like a horticultural version of Where's Waldo. That is my sole L. villeti to germinate so far. After a few weeks fretting I hadn't watered enough, I kind of went overboard. But hey, then 3 or 4 days later this guy appeared.

These are a little easier to see, and arrived about a week before the little villeti speck. These are L. meyerii I think. Forgive me if the spelling is off, I do not have my notes handy and there is a beagle on my lap. Can't get up.

Been a fun enough project so far, have not been as judicious with their care as maybe I should. This is chaos gardening at its finest right here. Next time I am going to look for shallower trays and something I can use as a lid rather than a plastic bag. My fingers are crossed that one of the L. schwantessii var urikosen will make it through for me though!

Comments (7)