SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s012adh21

Any underlayment needed under coretec plus xl?

s012adh21
8 years ago

Hi! I am looking to install about 500 square feet of coretec plus xl in Alexandria Oak. This will be installed over a slab and has been prepped for a floating floor. A flooring place was out and tested the slab and said that the moisture content of the concrete was very good so a vapor barrier was all they recommended. Unfortunately they only carried Bliss lvt. I talked to another very reputable flooring place that sells Coretec and they said that they don't put any kind of underlayment or vapor barrier down underneath Coretec Plus. The discrepancy between the 2 places caused me to check a couple of other places. One recommended a vapor barrier. The other said at a minimum he would put down a vapor barrier but he said he'd go a step further and install an underlayment like quiet walk or silent walk instead of just a vapor barrier. He said that even with the cork underlayment, a lot of people prefer adding an additional underlayment. He did warn not to get any kind of foam underlayment that would compress and break down over time. I know the instructions for installing Coretec Plus recommend adding a moisture barrier over concrete for peace of mind. With getting mixed messages, I was wondering what people would recommend? Nothing, simple vapor barrier, or a 3 in 1 underlayment that has an included moisture barrier?

Comment (1)