SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

LVP adura max, coretec plus, HD brands and underlay

Tmnca
6 years ago

I think you've all talked me out of the bamboo idea. I've looked at the cheaper engineered wood (need floating floor to go over 60s vinyl tile) and it looks nice but I'm concerned about durability. Home Depot Home Legend brand seems well received online, but it's so cheap can it really be any good?

That leads me back to LVP which we have in our current home. It is Lowes surface Source which was discontinued (I bought in clearance and DIY installed) and it was very cheap but has worn like iron. Impossible to scratch, 5 years later it looks new. But it is hard and cold laid over drylock-sealed concrete with no padding, and it feels plastic and has a textured surface which is difficult to clean. So I'd leaned away from LVP but after seeing some of the new products I am considering again.

Home Depot has Allure which is ok (when properly installed) but looks pretty fake to me. They have Lifeproof solid core LVP now which seems higher quality and looks more realistic from the small sample boards I saw in store. Any feedback on it?

The flooring store recommended Adura Max or Coretec Plus, which have attached underlay. I have ordered some samples but would love feedback on how they look, feel and perform in real life.

Which brings up my last question which is regarding underlay. As I mentioned the vinyl tile existing may contain asbestos so assuming it tests positive we will have to go over top. It's also absorbed years of smoke smell and is pretty yucky, so we'd want to make sure it's sealed off for odor and chemical (I'm allergic to smoke) protection. Also the edges of the tiles are slightly raised so to avoid telegraphing the flooring store recommended an underlay even with the suggested LVP with attached backing material. The options are polyurethane or a material made from recycled carpet. Which if these - if either - would you suggest, or does padding under these products lead to install issues?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)