SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyle1223

Exterior siding and slider dilemma

kyle1223
8 years ago

I'm having a dilemma with some work being done on my house. Having siding and an new slider put in and questioning the install and threshold of the slider. The new door has a bottom frame that is 2 3/8" tall/thick. The old door was installed on the subfloor I believe but for this new door they built up the floor to be even w/ the finished wood floor and installed on top of that. The door frame is much taller than others that I've seen at Home Depot and the installation details I'm seeing online show a pan built onto subfloor w/ the door installed up next to the finished wood floor. As it is now the full 2 3/8" height is now what we have to step over which I feel is a trip hazard and will be an annoyance for the life of the door. I expressed my concern with the contractor about the tripping and explained my thinking on the sill and he replied that the install was "by code" and that we'd get used to the height. I told him that I disagreed and that we would likely replace the door after they've finished. Can anyone give advice on whether a sliding door should be so tall or if installing on top of finished floor(or at that elevation) is correct? Thanks in advance.

Comments (25)