SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericsanford69

Mini Split Slim Duct- supply in one BR, return in another?

ericsanford69
8 years ago

We're updating a home with radiators that never had AC. Mini splits seem like just the ticket to avoid duct work (especially in the attic, which is where it would likely end up). We hate the look of wall units, and cassettes won't work with our ceilings, so I'm looking at two slim ducts on the ground floor. We're in MN, and we don't use AC much or to a very low temp, just to take the edge off when it's 95. I think there's room to mount them in the top of a couple closets, above the doors- one could pull from the hallway and blow into the living room. The other I'm thinking could pull from one bedroom and supply our other bedroom. I know, normally a terrible idea for good flow, but we only ever close either bedroom door when we have guest for the weekend (rarely). And even then, I'd be fine putting vents in the doors for this purpose. There is an open stairwell to the basement, but we don't intend to ever have AC down there.
See pic for floor layout.

Thoughts? I know there are many "more right" ways to do it, but I'd much rather be a little creative than deal with unattractive equipment or extensive remodeling. Especially for a system we'll use so little.
Thank you!!
-Eric

Comments (3)