SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knorthtexas75

Mermaid Rose - placement advice. Pictures included. Z8

knorthtexas75
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello, advice needed please! I have a potted Mermaid that I need to put in the ground soon. I know this rose gets BIG. I have two places I am considering (other than placing her in the middle of the yard where she can eat the yard). Please let me know if you have any experience with this rose, and if you think either place will suit her habits.

First, this his her current size:

I think it would add some interest to my front yard under this oak tree, to the right of it. I wonder will the rose make its way up the oak tree without my help? Meaning, are the canes long and stiff enough to get up there on their own? I generally don't like adding supports for my plants or roses.. I like to let them be.

Here is the spot she would go, where the bare area of mulch is. Is that too close to the tree? Would either the rose or the tree fight for roots space/ water? Is there a threat of her bringing this old oak down or even a large branch?

Finally, here is a secondary spot I am considering. This is a chain link fence that separates me from the neighbor. I am guessing the spot where the stick is sticking up is too close to the fence line, and thus would be a problem for the neighbor. Maybe closer in? Im guessing this rose could run into any of those surrounding shrubs. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (7)