SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Warning: Plant at your own risk ... and a mystery egg shell!

As recently as two weeks ago I was singing the praises of Glandularia rigida 'sand paper verbena' for it's all summer long bloom period and drought tolerance.

I had begun to notice runners coming up from under barrel cactus and two dyckias, but still I innocently offered it to a friend and she told me it had taken her years to get it out of a flower bed and then it popped up from a seed seven years after that. I thought "Uh oh!" Bob helped me dig it out yesterday turning over the ground again and again to extract a pile of roots.

This morning I knew I had to dig out more roots seen coming from under nearby plants. Here are the roots that were underneath the dyckia, One root is still sticking out from inside the dyckia root ball. How persistent is that? ...

These roots were under one of the barrel cactus. See the green sprigs that were coming out from the other side? Try pulling those out, even with gloved hands ...

I will let the ground lay fallow for the summer to watch for more root sprouts. The upended barrel cactus shown here have been replanted ...

'Big Mama' turtle took the opportunity to look for bugs in the freshly turned soil ...

Verbena rigida may a fine performer in poor soil, but if the ground has been improved at all -- look out!

But can someone please tell me what the heck laid this large leathery, now empty, egg that was found in the soil??? It is waaaay too big for one of my turtle eggs. Does this verbena foster dragons??? LOL

One thing about gardening -- there's always surprises!

Comments (14)