SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

Tomato Psyllid -- early warning, and some more info

tuesdayschild
18 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm down here on the San Diego coastal area and I've had just a great winter tomato season but its a good news/bad news thing and I wanted to give everyone a heads up for this upcoming season.

I have 6 plants that have been going gangbusters all through the winter (San Diego, Sweet 100, Momotaro, Green Zebra). All fruits besides Sweet 100 are about 50% of summer size and 50% of summer yield, but still great tasting. That's the good news. The bad news is that I think I may be an early harbinger of some really bad infestation news for the coming season down here.

I am doing heavy battle with the tomato psyllid and it is really a tough customer. The deal with this nasty little pest is that it (like its other psyllid buddies) flies in, lays eggs and the larval stage romps around on your plants til it finds a nice niche and then sits down and forms a nasty hard shell on top and hunkers itself down onto a branch or good-size leaf (like a scale insect) and sucks away. The really bad news is that when its doing the sucking, its not only draining vitality from the plant, it seems to be injecting some kind of toxin into it that turns the branches and leaves purple, gradually heading to yellow, and eventually interrupts the flow through the plant such that great hunks die out. The small size of the fruits that I'm getting are partially related to this pest. The two plants on the "far side" of the garden that aren't infested have fruits that are about 70% of normal size and the plants remain healthy.

I've been trying to control it with Neem and Safer sprays and it is not working very well. It pretty much requires spraying twice a week (expensive and frustrating) because once they "latch down", nothing short of scraping them off by hand seems to be working. Also, once they latch down, they have already spit whatever the nasty thing is into the tomato's system and even scraping them off doesn't make the plants much happier. Leaving them ensures a more rapid demise. Scraping them off lets the debilitated plants go on and produce, albeit much more weakly with little fruit. Some sources are now calling whatever this is the "tomato psyllid virus" but there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to the viral nature of whatever it is that causes what they are calling the "psyllid yellows".

The insecticidal soap/pyrethrin stuff (Safer) does not seem to have much of an effect unless I practically drown the little buggers (frankly Ivory soap at that level would probably work just as well). The Neem (I used GreenLight) seemed to have a better kill ratio with less drenching, but no lasting and they are coming in big waves, so its an every few days thing and that Neem _really_ smells bad so I hate to permeate the patio with it. Not to mention how hard it is to wash off the harvest (I have to use dish soap to get the oil off which really reduces the keep time). I have been extremely unwilling to use a systemic like Imidacloparid as I grow my own tomatoes both for taste and for a lack of things I don't really want to eat with my lunch....

OK, so, not many solutions for you all, but a couple of suggestions that I am going to try..... 1) I'm calling a halt now to my winter crop (sob!!!!!) even though I have _lots_ more blossoms and baby fruits, I want to insert a serious gap between now and my end-o-March spring planting to diminish the buggers. 2) I will be buying netting, fine grade, to drape my plants to keep the flying adults away when I do the spring planting. Expensive and annoying, yes, but with the trouble I had this summer and winter (I didn't ID the problem 'til Dec since I'd never heard of these things before), I don't want to take chances. I wait all year for summer tomatoes -- no way I want to lose out!!!

Also a few data points:

Sweet 100s: Utterly devastated by the things--small fruit, weak plants, fruit drop

San Diego: Deep effect on fruit size, but still product level good, low fruit drop

Momotaro: Deep effect on fruit size, but still product level good, significant fruit drop

Green Zebra: So far no effect at all.

Current UC IPM info from UC Davis:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783303011.html

Very good pictures of this pest:

http://ceventura.ucdavis.edu/Vegetable_Crops/Tomato_Psyllid.htm

(note for further ID: the winged adult sits on a branch and wiggles its back end back and forth, if you disturb it it SPROINGS away -- more jumping than flying)

More Info:

http://groups.ucanr.org/VCMG/General_Advice148/Tomato_Psyllid_Infestation.htm

and

http://entm29.entm.purdue.edu/acorn/pest.aspx?pest=Potato/Tomato_Psyllid

Comments (12)