SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_pereira24

Got a LoganLabs Soil Test, need help translating it - Morpheuspa?

Kevin
8 years ago

Hello,

I am new to posting on this forum but I have been reading your advice on-and-off for the past few months in search for an answer to my lawn issues. My house is located in the northern suburbs of the DFW metroplex and it was built on January of 2015. The lawn is some variety of bermuda (sod), not exactly sure what specific variety, but I assume it to be the "builder's grade kind". The soil appears to be clay with about 2 or 3 inches of builder's sand on top. It has somewhat of a blonde color to it, and it dries up a lot in the summer (it will even crack, we are usually under watering restrictions in the summer months).

The grass struggled all year last year, always appearing thin and pale in color, and very rough feeling when walked on with bare feet. Below are pictures of the lawn as of last week, as well as a Soil Report from Logan Labs. I could really use some help translating the numbers of the report into an action plan to get this lawn looking great and to also get the soil healthy enough to where the plants, trees, and lawn can thrive.

So far this year i've done the following:

- March 1 - scalped the lawn, bagging all of the dead clippings (I usually mulch the clippings except for the first mowing of the year). Raised the mower to 1.25" for every subsequent mowing.

- March 12th - applied TWO 36lbs bags of Retail-grade Milorganite at a setting of 9.5 on my scott's rotary broadcaster (not sure if I performed the calculation correctly, but I tried!). This didn't seem to do much for the appearance of the lawn.

- April 9th - applied ONE 30lbs bag of Vigoro Texas Turf Fertilizer (15-5-10) at a setting of 8 on my scott's rotary broadcaster.

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!

Comments (55)