SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (and other offbeat movies)

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I love offbeat movies! Last night we watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and fell in love with it. Starring Ben Stiller, Kristen Wiig, Adam Scott, Patton Oswalt, and Sean Penn, it was just so very well done and unlike many movies, held our attention from beginning to end. The nearly two hours seemed to just fly by, and I found myself wishing it hadn't ended. Of course, most of us recognize the story - but given a few modern twists and filled with scenic eye candy, this charming film gets two thumbs up from me.

Any other offbeat movies to recommend? Or just recent releases that you've enjoyed?

Comments (114)

• begoniagirl
    8 years ago

Hey 'cawaps', we also use Meg's quote frequently and how about "I know he can get the job, but can he DO the job?"

We also love to repeat lines from Christopher Guest movies....

"Bratwurst and shillelaghs....paging Dr. Freud"

"We could not talk or talk forever and still find things to not talk about"

C. Guest movies are brilliant!!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i haven't seen a lot of the movies mentioned here, but have to say i loved 'enough said'! i liked walter mitty too! :)

i don't know if i would consider some of these listed 'off beat' tho... fargo is i would say! probably one of my favorite 'off beat' movies from my youth is the rocky horror picture show...

• Related Discussions

So boring, The Book Thief. Does it get better?

Q

Comments (18)
    Reminds me of "Heidi" -- another book for children -- only set in a time of war, with Death as a larger character. The movie got some reviews that noted predictable, simplistic characters, especially the kindly father figure. You can actually find this book in the 'young adult' section of the library. I read and watched "Sarah's Key". Not my favorite in either version. Now I am stumped trying to remember the title of a book I read only a few months ago, also with a WWII setting. One character is a girl sent away from Berlin to live with her great-uncle towards the end of WWII. She isn't the main character, but her story has a realistic portrayal of the end of the war and Germans surviving guilt and deprivation. Anybody know the title? (Central character is a Londoner, raised by *his* uncle to be a cat burglar -- participates in the black market as a soldier in Berlin -- is recruited years later to get a woman out of East Berlin via a tunnel.)
    ...See More

10/27/15: Tips & recipes & thoughts to healthy life and healthy roses

Q

Comments (63)
    JESS: Thank you for the pics. & neat info. about Badger .. I really enjoy learning about the animals in South Africa. One cup of chicken manure per bush is TOO MUCH. In a British rose forum, a lady burnt her roses by using chicken manure once a month. In my cold zone, I use chicken manure VERY SMALL amount when the temp is cool & rainy. Folks use Rose-Tone (has chicken manure) once a month for roses in pots. But that has only 1/6 chicken manure. I would use only 1/2 cup, 1 cup would be too salty. I killed a rose by mixing 1/2 cup of chicken manure in the planting hole. When chicken manure touches the root, it kills the root, best to dilute ONLY 1/2 cup with soil before spreading around the bush. I started a new thread, "10/30/15: Bad habits, good habits, rose & health tips, recipes." http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3473294/m=3/10-30-15-bad-habits-good-habits-rose-and-health-tips-recipes
    ...See More

Movies I’ve liked recently (not recent movies)

Q

Comments (87)
    Last night I watched Selma (free rental on Amazon Prime and YouTube). We're discussing it in a Zoom class today and I'd left it till the last minute. I was totally unprepared for its impact. Some of it was difficult to watch but I needed to see this. I went through a lot of Kleenex.
    ...See More

Reading the 'Classics'

Q

Comments (30)
    Ah, yes, Virago publications: Recently, I was trying to think of the name of that endeavour, but then I forgot to look it up. I think it's funny how many times answers will come my way in a circular fashion a few days or weeks later! Thank you, Vee. I recognize many of the earlier-published titles from the 'Women's Studies Literature' classes I took in the 1970s and 1980s -- back when just about the only women represented in regular lit courses were Jane Austen and Charlotte and Emily Bronte (Anne Bronte was not yet 'worthy' of much mention) and, maybe, Harriet Beecher Stowe as the lone American woman author (L. M. Alcott's writing still was thought to be for female children, only). Still, even in studies devoted to women's writing, I only read about 10% of the first two hundred or so titles. Of the 500-plus books Virago has added since then, I have read a greater number but not more than 25% of the whole. That's a quick count, subject to change as I look at it more closely. You mentioned that the Virago titles tend to be more 'hard-hitting' than the Persephone ones. Something that struck me is how many are stories of 'quiet desperation' which is the nickname someone of my cohort gave this type of book. They were probably thinking of the lyrics from the Pink Floyd song 'Time': Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time. Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way The time is gone, the song is over, Thought I'd something more to say. -- Roger Waters, lyricist, Pink Floyd (band), 1973 ('Dark Side of the Moon') (Waters, possibly either intentionally or subconciously, lifted the phrase 'quiet desperation' from Henry David Thoreau.) Was Waters 'spot-on' about the English, in general, and particularly about many English female writers?
    ...See More
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I love movies where scenery plays a role, or travel, so if that is what you liked about "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" here are some of my favorites:

"French Kiss" which is not quirky but revolves around traveling through France. Kevin Kline's French accent is barely passable, but who cares, it's France and Meg Ryan is at her most cutest. (Yes I know that is bad grammar!)

"The Electric Horseman" not new, quirky in a mainstream kind of way. See not for plot but for great scenery and to oggle it, and Robert Redford. Awesome soundtrack!

"A Wedding for Bella" which is definitely quirky. It stars Scot Baio, for starters. Hokey as heck. But it revolves around a restaurant in the strip district of Pittsburgh, which is not full of strip clubs, it's full of foodie and arty stuff. I am a very food motivated viewer, what can I say.

"I Know Where I'm Going." Perhaps one of my all around favorite movies. Done just after the war, it is centered around the Outer Hebrides in Scotland. It was "Local Hero" before there was "Local Hero." Stars Wendy Hiller, but the real star is the cinematography. Black and white with a vengeance.

"Leap Year" which is "I Know Where I'm Going" mixed with "French Kiss" but not as good as either one.

"Dear Frankie" which I think was filmed near Edinburgh. I have traveled a lot around Great Britain so I have a soft spot for movies shot there, you may have started to notice.

"Shirley Valentine" about a British woman who runs away to Greece.

"A River Runs Through It" everyone knows. Not new, not quirky, I just though I would mention it. But if you DID like that one, you might like, "The River Why" which is based on a book I loved. Movie a tad dull but not short on scenery!

"The Fisher King" which is another absolute favorite of mine, an homage to the seedier side of NYC. Quirky but old. If you want to love up on Jeff Bridges in a scenery movie, try "Starman." Talk about quirky!

"Seven Years in Tibet" which basically sums up that film.

"The Sapphires" which is about an indigenous girl group from Australia that goes on tour singing for soldiers in Vietnam. Now THAT'S travel!

Edited to add: "Dr Zhivago" for obvious reasons, and "For Whom the Bell Tolls." See them if you haven't yet.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Starman was a good one. Reminds me of another one I liked, Frequency, with Dennis Quaid. And how could I forget Big Fish? A good Tim Burton film, And my brother was an extra in that one in a scene near the end.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

Dear Frankie is charming and I liked it a great deal.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

KSWL, I have Lunchbox on my watchlist, it was just recommended to me when we were in India and saw the tiffin men.

I love Stanley Tucci too; and i have run into him a few times in our local market.

• razamatazzy
    8 years ago

oh I am glad someone else said "Serial Mom" because I thought I must have a warped sense of humor

Agree with "the Gods must be crazy"

I also liked "the Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" with Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson.

• User
    8 years ago

razamatazzy, I am the person who really liked Serial Mom and I do indeed have a wickedly warped sense of humor :-).

• cawaps
    8 years ago

Probably not the same brand of quirky as The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, but quirky all the same, is the New Zealand comedy/horror film Black Sheep. about a recovering ovinophobe who returns to the family ranch, only to find himself battling zombie sheep.

I'm not generally into horror films, but Zombieland is another very funny zombie film that I loved.

And then there's In Bruges, which is about Irish hit men lying low in a Belgian tourist town.

• User
    8 years ago

American Hustle is another quirky movie. Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper and Christian Bale.

• User
    8 years ago

I love In Bruges, it is one of my favorites!

Mtn, I think you will like the lunchbox, it has an attractive gritty realism that would probably be even more interesting to someone who has just visited that part of the world. When we lived in New York I hardly noticed the celebrities, they were everywhere.....now I would probably gape at Mr. Tucci, lol.

• User
    8 years ago

Another vote for In Bruges -- saw it many years ago loved it. Will have to watch it again soon.

• User
    8 years ago

Being There and Welcome to the Dollhouse.

• User
    8 years ago

"Shirley Valentine" about a British woman who runs away to Greece.

"Shirley Valentine" pretty much saved me after my first marriage ended in divorce. I was literally rescued. And my male friend recommended it to me!!

• kathy3754
    8 years ago

Well "Lost River" sure qualified as off-beat. I got the DVD from my branch library, and stayed with it to the end. Somebody called it a colorful film-noir fantasy. It felt a little like that B&W movie from 1955, directed by Charles Laughton, & starring Robert Mitchum as The Preacher. Both Very Odd.

Two others that I think qualify as offbeat are both from the 1940ties---The Cat People & The Curse of The Cat People. Scary.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Four Weddings and a Funeral is quirky, although some may classify as just typical British humour. I loved it and have probably watched it 3-4 times. But then I'm crazy about Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell. Also loved him with Julia Roberts in Notting Hill and especially the quirky supporting cast & their crazy car chase scenes thru the streets of London.

• User
    8 years ago

The original, British film Death at a Funeral is a riot.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm literally overwhelmed at the recommendations! Overwhelmed in a good way! Next on my list will be In Bruges. I just watched the trailer and it's the sort of flick I'm currently in the mood to see. I love Colin Farrell.

Shirley Valentine was also wonderful. I'll have to see that one again, as it's been awhile.

• petalique
    8 years ago

Fun topic, TR. I'll put some of these films on my list. I never saw TSLoWM. I really like To Die For. Fargo was chilling. Read about the theme music and type of 'fiddle' (?hardanger spelling). Then listen to/read about that same instrument in the music of PBS's 'Wolf Hall'.

Here are some offbeat films. The first one is a doozie (Siskal & Ebert 4/4):

-- The Cook, The Thief, his Wife & Her Lover

Helen Mirren is in this.

-- Mullholland Drive (directed by David Lynch. I didn't care for Blue Velvet, but MD is very good. I've watched it - on TV - multiple times.

-- Amelie (French: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain)

Keep them coming :)

• User
    8 years ago

Anything with Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith.

• User
    8 years ago

starsplitter, The Cook, The Thief, his Wife and & Her Lover is the only movie I ever walk out. There is something about cannibalism that ruins my appetite :-).

• bpath
    8 years ago

As shrubberies attacked us on our morning walk, DH offered to bring his hedgeclippers next time, and I suggested we bring Edward Scissorhands. So much quirky about that movie: the look of the neighborhood, the "snow", the story. Sweet and funny and sad all at the same time.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We've just finished In Bruges and the ending was so graphic that I feel a bit shaken. That said, we laughed at the dark humor and I thought Colin Farrell was just splendid. I would watch it again ... But not yet. Need some time to process the violence.

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

bpathome - ah....the infamous attacking shrubbery.....which immediately brings to mind one of my all time favorite quirky flicks - where the Knights who Say Ni demand that King Arthur bring them a shrubbery.

Month Python and the Holy Grail

For those who like the Coen brothers there's an older one: Blood Simple (1984) with Francis McDormand and Dan Hedaya.

I can also recommend 2 that have already been mentioned: Lars and the Real Girl and The Station Agent.

The Way, Way Back with Toni Colette and Steve Carell

In a World

Being Joh Malkovich (although it gave me a headache!)

Imdb has a listing of Quirky movies.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls009277148/

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, maire_cate, for the link. My next flick is going to be "Submarine" from the Imdb quirky list.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

FWIW, I was actually in Bruges right after the movie was filmed and the locals were absolutely livid about the whole thing. They had to keep their Christmas decorations up for months and when they saw what they had helped create, they were not a happy bunch at all. They'd been told it would be a movie that would help Bruges tourism (not that it seemed to need any help). Evidently the stars (except for Brendan Gleeson) were not nice people to have around, either.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

Nurse Betty.

And two that star Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace (the original "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"): The Drop (co-starring James Gandolfini) and Child 44.

• cawaps
    8 years ago

I mentioned this thread to a friend and she reminded me of "Earth Girls Are Easy" with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis (and Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans).

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Writersblock, that's interesting about Bruges! I actually knew nothing about the place until seeing the movie. It looks like a real charmer - although the grisliness of the movie might not have helped much in that regard.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

It's a very beautiful town with some amazing artwork. It was also in some of the exteriors for the "The Nun's Story" with Audrey Hepburn. At the time I was there right after the filming of "In Bruges" they were worried about the kind of tourist it would attract, but it didn't really have much effect one way or the other. Bruges is always swamped with tourists, but well worth a visit if you're ever in that part of the world.

The only grisly thing I can think of is that it's one of the few places where you can see the actual old municipal guillotine in one of the museums. (And the subjects of a few of the great paintings are pretty disquieting, too, of course.)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We watched "Submarine" last night and really enjoyed it. It's very quirky, set in Wales. Sally Hawkins is the mum, and I love her. Recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440292/

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

If you liked Juno you'll love Whip It -- made me happy to be a girl! Fun quirky movie about roller derby.

I also loved Being John Malkovich and Adaptation - both quirky to the max!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I was shocked how much I ended up loving this movie.

Ghost World - one of my very cult favorites but rough emotionally at times.

Safety Not Guaranteed - charming. "Three magazine employees head out on an assignment to interview a guy who placed a classified advertisement seeking a companion for time travel."

My friends all loved Lars and the Real Girl - I haven't watched it yet but guess it is surprisingly amazing. "Lars and the Real Girl could've so easily been a one-joke movie. But the talented cast, a great script, and direction never condescends to its character or the audience."

Brick - I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! Amazing teen noir detective movie starring Joseph Gordon Levitt. Did I mention I LOVE THIS MOVIE? "A teenage loner pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend."

Bernie starring Jack Black as the murdering yet charming funeral director in a small Texas town - really Jack Black does such an amazing job with this character and Shirley MacLaine is a hoot. "In small-town Texas, an affable mortician strikes up a friendship with a wealthy widow, though when she starts to become controlling, he goes to great lengths to separate himself from her grasp."

Son of Rambow - "Set during an English summer during the early 1980s, the film is a coming of age story about two schoolboys and their attempts to make an amateur film inspired by First Blood."

Big Game - "A young teenager camping in the woods helps rescue the President of the United States when Air Force One is shot down near his campsite."

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

One of my all time favorites is The Invention of Lying staring English comedian Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, Jennifer Garner and Rob Lowe. Very offbeat and funny.

I still laugh at the Airplane movies even though I have seen them a million times.

• denali2007
    8 years ago

I will second Nebraska. Liked it more than I thought I would.

• User
    8 years ago

Ricky Gervais as Derek was one of my favorite shows.

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

As usual, I'm late to the party, but here are mine, including several not already listed here:

The Intouchables: a French foreign film. I usually avoid them, but this one is so fantastic. I've seen it twice and love it. Based on the true story of a French millionaire who is a quadriplegic due to an accident. He's angry and contrary and goes through caregivers very quickly in his Paris (?) mansion . . . until he hires, on a total quirk, a very out-of-the ordinary caregiver who doesn't kowtow to him. The story is really funny and very, very good.

Educating Rita: the 1983 movie starring Michael Caine and Julie Walters. This excerpt from Wikapedia about the movie sums it up: "A Liverpudlianworking-class young woman – hairdresser – Rita (Julie Walters) wants to better herself by studying literature. Her assigned Open University professor, Frank Bryant (Michael Caine), however, has long ago openly taken to the bottle, and soon develops misgivings about Rita's ability to adapt to student culture. Bryant is a jaded university lecturer, who describes his occupational ability as "appalling but good enough for his appalling students". His passion for literature is reignited by Rita, whose technical ability for the subject is limited by her lack of education but whose enthusiasm Frank finds refreshing." The movie is funny, refreshingly enjoyable and the ending oh so good.

Secondhand Lions: (2003) I flat-out love Michael Caine and Robert Duvall and this movie stars them both as two aging, very quirky brothers with a mysterious past, and their wonderful, funny attempts at raising their great-nephew (Haley Joel Osment) who was dumped unexpectedly on them by his undependable mother. So, so good. We love this movie!

Paul: (2011) a British science fiction road trip movie, starring Simon Pegg. About two sci-fi geeks visiting the U.S. for a Comic Con film fest and then rent a Winnebago to go on a road trip through the Southwest where they accidentally meet up with a foul-mouthed, chain smoking, lover of alcohol, sarcastic little alien, Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen). Their misadventures with him are hysterical.

Continental Divide: (1981) starring the late John Belushi and Blair Brown. This is a romantic comedy (seriously) and very funny. Belushi stars as a very popular, hard-hitting, very out of shape Chicago reporter, Ernie Souchak. His good friend and editor is forced to send him out of the state for his own safety, after he's almost killed by gangsters while investigating a corrupt city official. He (very reluctantly) heads off to interview a reclusive Dr. Nell Porter (Brown), who has been conducting research on bald eagles for several years way up in the mountains of Wyoming.

Others I love: Snow Falling on Cedars, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Hector and the Search For Happiness, The Gods Must Be Crazy

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm not sure how I managed to miss "Paul" and "Hector" since I'm a Simon Pegg fan. Both of those are definitely on my watch list. Two nights ago we saw "Humble Pie", which was quite offbeat and enjoyable. It's about an obese young man who works at a grocery store but longs to become an actor. There were some funny moments, but the best line was delivered by the mother, who had both her adult children living at home with her, and her husband had left. The three of them sat down to dinner and she instructed them to bow for grace. She prayed, "Father ... I'm angry. I've been angry for a long time. In Jesus' name, amen." LOL! Now that's a prayer I can get behind! ;-)

• User
    8 years ago

Haven't thought of Being John Malkovitch in years but I loved that movie! Also another recommendation for The Invention of Lying, Educating Rita, Bernie (I saw that in a theater three times, Robo, love Jack Black, think he is more talented than most Hollywood actors and vastly underrated) and the British version of Death at a Funeral.

What About Bob was a family favorite, along with Drop Dead Fred and all the Problem Child movies (although the first is the best, especially the vomiting scene!). And Clifford, with Martin Short, was hilarious.

• sableincal
    8 years ago

Our favorite "light" movie of the past year - The Big Year. With Jack Black and Steve Martin, neither of whom are particular favorites of mine, but who owned this movie! About bird-watching and about finding reality in one's life. Lovely!

Tonight we watched My Old Lady. which is gentle and funny, with some dealing with very heavy family history in the middle. Especially good are Kevin Kline and Maggie Smith trading zingers back and forth. The movie was filmed entirely on location in Paris and is beautiful to look at, even with gray skies, gray interior decor, and the characters dressed in grays (my least-liked color), all very chic. A winner for those who love Paris and love Maggie Smith.

Last week we saw L.A. Confidential for the first time; a story about police corruption in Los Angeles in the 1950s. Like Mad Men it perfectly captures the flavor of its period and has a great cast. I appreciated the fact that although it was violent, the violence was that of movies of several decades ago; in other words, not gruesome or hideous. I was able to watch without peeking through my fingers. Very highly recommended!

Writersblock mentioned The Nun's Story. That is one of my all-time most beloved films - Audrey Hepburn at her most powerful, IMO; I had to ask myself just how much I could give up for what I believe in.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

Moonrise Kingdom

the Grand Budapest Hotel

• cawaps
    8 years ago

I just re-watched TiMER, which is set in a future in which you can get an implant that will count down until the moment when you meet the one person you are meant to be with. But it only works if your "one" also has a timer. Oona is about to turn 30 and is getting increasingly desperate because her timer hasn't started counting down yet. Her sister is floundering because her timer did go off--but she won't meet her "one" for another 13 years. The technology is more fantasy than science, but it makes for an interesting backdrop to look at people's reactions to knowing/not knowing/wanting to know/not wanting to know.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Hey there,

I normally frequent the Kitchen Table and Cooking forum. I'm always on the lookout for movies and tv shows. We've got a good amount of favourite tv shows that we watch.

Because of this thread, we watched Paul on the weekend, and thought it was great! And, hilariously enough, the latest Canadian Tire commercials (I'm in Canada) feature the little alien! We laugh like crazy when we see it.

If you'd like a real quirky movie, check out The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's colourful, funny and witty. We loved it, and saw it twice.

The Best Marigold Hotel is also very good.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We watched "What We Do In the Shadows" on Sunday and really enjoyed it. Funny, silly, gruesome ... definitely quirky.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Red and Red 2 with Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis and John Malkovitch. Comedic and full of action, with lots of guns and fighting, but never a swear word. We love them!

• cooper8828
    8 years ago

The Straight Story. It is based on a true story, with the added bonus of being a "G" rated movie directed by David Lynch.

• JustDoIt
    8 years ago

One of the first poster recommended the movie Something The Lord Made. I second that movie. While not quirky, it was different and a very good true story.

Movies I never would have thought I would like: This is the End and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

We were having dinner with friends Saturday evening and talked about the old Peter Sellers Inspector Clouseau movies and others. I happened to think about M.A.S.H., the movie, and we had several laughs over that one. Of course I enjoyed the TV series too, but the movie is a classic.

I agree with Jasdip about Red and Red 2.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

I seemed to have missed the whole "quirky' part of the request!

• Oakley
    8 years ago

I thought this was a new topic, but then saw it has over a 100 posts! I don't have time to read all of them, so forgive me if these two movies were already mentioned.

Interesting that Michael Caine is in both of them, can you tell I'm a fan?

The first one is Educating Rita. Not sure if you can still find it on video, but I watched it about 10 times back in the 80's

Along the lines of "To Sir With Love," and "Pretty Lady," but better.

Here is a short outline from Wikipedia: Educating Rita synopsis

The other is Secondhand Lions. Superb.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I'm gonna second "Continental Divide" with John Belushi and Blair Brown. Good film if you like films where scenery plays a role. A little contrived, but having lived in the wilderness myself, some great authentic touches. Totally dug Blair Browns wilderness cabin. Totally out of character for what we now think of for John Belushi and kind of sad now to think that he wanted to be an actor who took many types of roles. I saw it when it first came out and he was still alive, at that point he was an open book and yet to be typecast forever. He could have been my generation's Jack Black.