SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

Movies I’ve liked recently (not recent movies)

nutsaboutplants
3 years ago

What Lesser-known or offbeat movies have you discovered that you liked? Here are some of mine. I hadn‘t heard about them but loved them.

The Squid and the Whale

You Can Count on Me

Margaret (I’d heard an NPR interview about it, but hadn’t found the movie until recently)

I also found some Aussie directors/movies that I loved.

The Interview

Healing

please give me your recommendations.

Comments (87)

• maire_cate
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Dancing at Lughnasa - Meryl Streep

Knives Out

Ondine

In America

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

The Way, Way Back - a wonderful coming-of-age film with Toni Collette, Steve Carrell, Sam Rockwell. (Not to be confused with The Way Back with Ben Affleck which I haven't seen.)

The Way, Way back is familiar with anyone who ever owned a station wagon - it was the third row seat that faced the back of the car. I had 3 stations wagons, complete with faux wood paneling on the sides and all 3 of my kids fought for the way, way back. This of course was before mini-vans and SUV's became popular.

nutsaboutplants thanked maire_cate
  • lisaam
    3 years ago

The visitor is probably on Netflix or maybe Prime.

On another note I changed my browser and can now successfully message here--yay

nutsaboutplants thanked lisaam
  • Related Discussions

3 Projects I've completed recently

Q

Comments (22)
    pirate girl~ The yellow one is 25" edge to edge (28" point to point) only the snowman is paper pieced. Paper piecing has it's place. And its waste. But it can create some of the most spectacular stars!! I'm slowly working on some others for another project and achieving stuff there's no way I could achieve any other way!
    ...See More

Some things I've recently done

Q

Comments (24)
    Funny thing about the corners on that first QOV - I struggled and stressed alot about what to put in the corners - found a block I liked on Quilterscache, had to resize it to fit the border widths, paperpieced it (not my favorite thing to do!) and it just turned out wrong!! I had just one corner made and spent over a day on it, and then had 3 more to do, so I gave it away, and just drew those "rays" on a piece of paper, sewed 4 of them in about an hour, and it was done! Sometimes simpler is better! And those tan triangles - those are corners cut off of another project for troops that I did. One of our car clubs periodically gets together and fills boxes for troops to send to Iraq, and I made 60 cooling neckties (fill narrow tubed scarves with polymer crystals, and when soaked in water, they expand and stay cool for hours) and I trimmed off the ends of the ties to narrow them down , and the resulting triangles were too nice and big to just discard - saved them and this quilt was just perfect for alot of them. Here's 40 of them - I was told to stick to colors that would blend in with their uniforms, not bright, colorful ones.
    ...See More

Hello everyone, I’ve missed being on here recently

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you everyone, I’ve definitely missed all of you too, and am glad to be back. Yes, I had a lovely Christmas, Diane. I won’t list all the roses I’m getting, but some of the highlights that I’m excited about are a couple of Kordes Floribundas from Palatine, Bliss Parfuma and Solero Vigorosa, I noticed they had Augusta Luise, but it sold out quickly, such a beautiful rose, and I always think of you, Diane when I see it mentioned. I’m also trying a couple of their Old Garden Roses, Variegata di Bologna and Yolande d’Aragon. And I also ordered Stephens’ Big Purple. I had that one in 2017, and loved it, hopefully on Multiflora it will be hardier. Since I’m so fond of lavender roses, I ordered a Griffith Buck rose, Silver Shadows from Heirloom and Blue Girl from Witherspoon, I am also trying Peter Mayle, another rose I’ve read good things about. Beverly is such a good rose for me that I am getting another one, also another Pope John Paul Ii, and wish I had gotten another Francis Meilland. The one I planted in 2017 really did good in 2018, and I love the blooms on that one!
    ...See More

I've recently planted a fig tree. Ideas why the leaves are discolored?

Q

Comments (2)
    From the looks of the bottom leaf it looks like plant is not yet acclimated to full sun. If that is indeed the problem they will eventually wither and drop off growing new leaves that will be fine in full sun. Martin
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

aktillery, I’ve seen The Proposal and loved it. I also liked Two Weeks Notice and Maid in Manhattan. And Miss Congeniality. We have Sleepless in Seattle on right now. I’m a big fan of An Affair to Remember, too. I’m so shallow!

A super movie, The Hundred Foot Journey with Helen Mirren, is on Netflix now. So is Julie & Julia.

Woman in Gold with Ryan Reynolds and Helen Mirren. A docudrama about the fight to have the Klimt painting which was stolen by the Nazis returned to its rightful owner. No my usual fluff but it was very good! Free on Vudu or pay on Amazon Prime Video. (What’s Vudu?)

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

nutsaboutplants, I remember seeing Peter Dinklage for the first time in The Station Agent.

nutsaboutplants thanked gsciencechick
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Science chick, yes Dinklage was in that movie. Watched it a few times. Enjoyed every time.

Lisa, will look for The Visitor!

maire-cate, grazie mille!

lynn, yes, Air Force One was great. Will be good to watch it Again sometime.

BF, thanks!

What a wonderful thing this GF community is!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bbstx, you’re welcome anytime! Really. I think you two will have a blast. DH’s favs, to the extent I can recall them, are any of the Peter Sellers movies, Throw Mama from the Train, The Intern ... I know his sitcom favorites more readily. Mom, New Adventures of Old Christine, Veep, My Family (British), young Sheldon, Big Bang Theory, Frazier ... you get the idea.

oh, he loves to watch stand up comedy and late night shows.

• runninginplace
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness, Drop Dead Gorgeous is also top of the list for my personal funniest movie ever! I saw it with my sister who shares my penchant for dark humor. We spent the movie LOL-ing in a theater of folks who, um, didn't think it was that funny. Here are a few of my own picks:

Bad Santa (also saw with my sister who told me as we left 'I think I was too young for that movie' hahahaha)

Lady Macbeth with Florence Pugh

Emma

Wild Nights with Emily (Ms Dickinson as you've never seen her)

Her Smell - so dark but Elisabeth Moss is amazing

Almost Famous - I could rewatch this one every year forever

A Star is Born-Gaga version, most achingly romantic movie I've ever seen

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - this review captures the unique bittersweet flavor of the movie. Book was amazing too

Obvious Child

Philomena - love me some Judi Dench, this was wonderful

nutsaboutplants thanked runninginplace
  • amykath
    3 years ago

I would like to add another movie I truly enjoyed

Sylvia - It is about the life of Sylvia Plath

Trailer for Sylvia

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Nuts, seeing your DH’s list of favs, I think he would definitely enjoy Steve Martin & Martin Short on Netflix.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Lars, just watched the trailer for The Lady in the Van. I noticed James Corden. Was it a bit part or a cameo? I have no idea when he “broke into the big time.”

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

running, thank you for that list! I see a couple of my favorites there. Look forward to trying the rest.

bbstx, I have to tell my husband about Steve Martin &Martin Short. He’d love that. Maybe I’ll watch it with him.

aktillery, Great addition to the list.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Lars, didn’t Alan Bennett also write The Reader? I loved that book and gave it as a gift for a couple of years after reading it.

nutsaboutplants thanked bpath
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bpath, I *love* The Reader, both the book and the movie. It’s by Bernhard Schlink (assuming we’re referring to the same book, about the post-WW Germany).

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

I was all set to watch The King of Staten Island this evening, but it's $20 to rent. I don't know... We pay for direct tv, Netflix, apple tv and probably a few other services, so I feel like I should stick to those. I really wanted to see Pete Davidson and Marisa Tomei, though. Has anyone seen it yet?

I have to be careful what movies I watch. The Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver gave me nightmares for months when I was younger, so I have to vet carefully.

Someone above mentioned Winter's Bone. I'm familiar with that part of the country, and it's an accurate depiction. Jennifer Lawrence is wonderful in it.

eta, Runninginplace, I could watch Almost Famous every year forever, too! I loved all the actors in it.

nutsaboutplants thanked Feathers11
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Nuts, oops I got the title wrong. It's The Uncommon Reader. A very different story! And btw, I keep seeing your movie at the library, now that I can check things out again (back dock pick-up) I think I'll get it.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Feathers, I’ve been hearing about Almost Famous. Anxious to try that and your other recommendations.

bpath, ah, I got it now, The Uncommon Reader! Ok, will look for it. When you say you keep seeing the movie in the library, you mean The Reader? Yes, please try it and see what you think. Kate Winslet is a wonderful actor.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Is The Uncommon Reader a movie or only a book? I can find the book, but I cannot find a movie by that name.

nutsaboutplants thanked bbstx
  • runninginplace
    3 years ago

So many great movies! Here are a few more I've enjoyed:

The Diary of a Teenage Girl - creepy theme (teenager and older man) but beautifully done

The Florida Project - made me cry

Yesterday - made me smile

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - “In India, we have a saying – everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not all right, it is not yet the end.”

The Good Liar - because Helen Mirren of course

The Favourite - Olivia Colman earned that Oscar

Edited to add: Elle with Isabelle Huppert-really dark and twisty, and of course she is always mesmerizing

nutsaboutplants thanked runninginplace
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Running, I just watched The Good Liar this weekend and loved it. Also agree Yesterday and Exotic Marigold Hotel were both good ones.

I watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding again recently. Always makes me laugh and think of Windex for days.

High Fidelity

Overboard with Goldie Hawn

Frequency

Sixteen Candles (my DD and I watch this one a lot and now DGD is onboard)

All of you posted some good ones I had forgotten and will have to check out again. Good thread.

nutsaboutplants thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

Original Overboard (1987) 👍👍👍👍

Overboard remake (2018) 👎👎👎 👎

• User
    3 years ago

we recently re watched Romancing The Stone and Jewel of the Nile. was pleasantly surprised how fun they still are.

Because of that we also watched War of the Roses, which we had never seen before. didn't really like it at all. the pranks came across mean and stupid rather than funny.

nutsaboutplants thanked User
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Running, outside and BF, thank you! This is going to be a wonderful list for all times (for me).

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Running and Feathers, I watched Almost Famous last night. Well-made, with a great cast. Thanks!

maire-cate, watched Lars and the Real Girl On Saturday. Yes, it’s so sweet.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bbstx, thanks for the disambiguation between the two makes of that movie. Will be sure to look for the 1987 one.

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

Nutsaboutplants, I'm glad you liked Almost Famous. The actors make that film... and so does Elton John's Tiny Dancer. Just a good film to enjoy for what it is.

• bpath
    3 years ago

nuts, yes, I mean I keep seeing The Reader at the library. And I pick it up thinking it is The Uncommon Reader every time lol.

bbstx, The Uncommon Reader is only a Book, and a delightful one.

We watched Silence of the Lambs the other night, I don’t love it because it’s so creepy, but dang is it good. On the other hand, we watched Sleeping with the Enemy again, both remembering how much it absorbed us the first time around, and ugh, it hasn’t aged well. Not sure if it’s the shoulder pads or the cheesy 80s music.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Because of this thread, I just watched Knives Out. It was totally unlike what I expected! But probably what kept me fascinated through the whole thing was Daniel Craig’s southern drawl!

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

IdaClaire - since you liked Jojo Rabbit and you mentioned on another thread that you enjoy What We Do in the Shadows, you should check out Taika Watiti's earlier film The Hunt for the Wilderpeople

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hunt_for_the_wilderpeople

nutsaboutplants thanked terezosa / terriks
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Oh, thank you so much, terriks! I see it's available on Amazon Prime, and I happen to have a couple of do-nothing vacation days coming up, so yes -- will definitely be watching this one.

nutsaboutplants thanked IdaClaire
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Aktillery, watched Coherence last night. Trippy! I enjoyed the cerebral quality to the puzzle that unfolds along with the explanation.

Thanks to the great suggestions here, I’ve been watching one movie every night before bed. (Choice depends largely on what’s available for streaming at the moment.) Really wanted to try Elle, The Unbearable Lightness Of Being (loved the book) and other suggestions here, but many of them are not currently available. The offerings change, so I’m hopeful that I’ll get an opportunity to try the various suggestions.

• amykath
    3 years ago

Nuts, yes isn't is good? It was definitley entertaining and kept you guessing.

• User
    3 years ago

We recently watched an older movie (2000s) called Return to Me, with Minnie Driver and David Duchovny. Spectacular supporting cast of Helen Hunt, Jim Belushi, Carroll O’Connor and others. The plot is pretty thin, it’s a romantic comedy, but the moments of interaction a group of old men friends who hang out in a bar/ restaurant one of them owns are priceless—-ongoing bickering about who is the best male singer, Sinatra, Martin, Torme, etc. Likewise there are a few moments between Belushi and Hunt that are pure gold. Helen Hunt directed and i believe she co-wrote it as well.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kswl, I’m going to look for it. Didn’t know Helen Hunt did any directing. Sounds interesting.

Aktillery, yes, it kept you guessing. What was nice was that it was not guessing in a whodunnit way, but in an attempt to figure out the underlying principle/logic.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I ran across another movie yesterday I had enjoyed, The Book of Henry. It’s about a young boy who suspects a neighbor of abusing his step-daughter. There is much more to the story but I don’t want to give anything away in case someone wants to watch it.

I also recently watched some of the old ’Oceans’ series. I really liked Oceans 13 and the female version, Oceans 8, appealed to me as well.

nutsaboutplants thanked OutsidePlaying
  • OllieJane
    3 years ago

I'm always surprised how many people have not seen Best in Show. Hilarious!

nutsaboutplants thanked OllieJane
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Kswl, DH's aunt was a waitress for many years at Twin Anchors in Chicago, where Return to Me was filmed. It's a pretty small place. She said everyone on the cast was great with the exception of David Duchovny. It was I believe Carroll O'Connor's last piece of work.

Also wanted to add, I saw this NYT story about the best movies of 2020 so far that are all streaming. NYT movies

nutsaboutplants thanked gsciencechick
  • User
    3 years ago

olliesmom yes! most of Christopher Guest movies are gold. in that vein, I also highly recommend Spinal Tap. (not one of his movies, but he co wrote it, and is one of my favorite mockumentaries.)

Did you know that Guest played the Six Fingered Man in the Princess Bride?

• User
    3 years ago

Gsciencechic, how cool is that about your aunt working at the restaurant! I enjoyed the interaction amongst the older actors so much! wish DH had a cohort like that, but I guess since all our friends are still married it would not obtain. Minnie Driver is a very different sort of actress and I liked her very much too. Bonnie Hunt is a particular favorite—-I see I called her Helen above and cannot edit the mistake ☹️

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

Olliesmom, I had to make a road trip not long ago, and my sister texted me, "If you get tired, pull over. If you get hungry, eat something."

• Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

We just finished Season 1 of Liar from 2017 with Joanne Froggatt on Amazon. Good, lots of twists and turns. Season 2 has started on Sundance but we cannot access it.

nutsaboutplants thanked Joaniepoanie
  • amykath
    3 years ago

Joanie, I really enjoyed Liar. I finished season two last night. It was great.

nutsaboutplants thanked amykath
  • OllieJane
    3 years ago

BF, no idea about him playing that part in The Princess Bride!

Feathers, LOL

nutsaboutplants thanked OllieJane
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sciencechick, your aunt working there —that’s cool! Will check out the article with the recommendations.

joanie, glad to hear that Liar is good. I saw it on amazon but didn’t try it, but now I will.

• Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

aktillery——I happy to know season two of Liar was good. I’m not sure when we will be able to get it. Hopefully soon.

We also liked Dirty John.

nutsaboutplants thanked Joaniepoanie
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Watched Molly’s Game last night. Amazing. I knew about it, but didn’t watch it because I know nothing about poker. But got curious after seeing Aaron Sorkin’s name. Great writing and performance.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

Last night I watched Selma (free rental on Amazon Prime and YouTube). We're discussing it in a Zoom class today and I'd left it till the last minute. I was totally unprepared for its impact. Some of it was difficult to watch but I needed to see this. I went through a lot of Kleenex.

nutsaboutplants thanked Bunny
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bunny, good to know. Added to list of things to try. Agree that sometimes we have to brace ourselves to feel and experience things that need to be felt and experienced, though it’s easier to take a pass.

• amykath
    3 years ago

Nuts, I really enjoyed Molly's Game as well. I really love Jessica Chastain.

Another great movie she is in and it is free on Amazon Prime is Miss Sloan.

nutsaboutplants thanked amykath
  • nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Aktillery, thanks for the Molly’s Game recommendation. Yes, she’s amazing. This is the first movie I’ve seen with her in a major role.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths