SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

"Common Mistakes When Fighting Weeds"

Larry the Gardener is a weekly fixture on one of our local channel's Morning Show. Today's segment was called "Common Mistakes when Fighting Weeds". I've put a link below. Wait 'til you see Larry the Gardener chow down on some dollarweed!

Also, I like how all of the bags, bottles and products are turned around backwards. :)

Here's the link to the television segment video:
Common mistakes when fighting weeds

Here are the products he mentions:

Celsius for dollarweed and oxalis:
Celsius

Dismiss for Nutsedge:
Dismiss

Dimension for Crabgrass:
Dimension

If anyone can understand what he is saying at 3:01 about bermuda grass:

"Difficult to get rid of. So, spray... if you've got it in St. Augustine, there's nothing you do. Spray kill it out of St. Augustine and you're gonna be in good shape."

Huh?! I wonder which product? I didn't understand that part.

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (7)

• User
    8 years ago

There is no product for bermudagrass, because it's a grass, not a weed. If you kill the bermuda grass, you kill the St. Augustine. Bermuda grass comes straight from Haedes. The only way to get rid of it is to kill your whole lawn and start over, and then it will come back from somewhere else, or on the blades of your yard service mower. It's literally impossible to rid yourself of it completely.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Dirty,

That's my understanding, too. That's why I wonder what he said (meant).

• whgille
    8 years ago

Hi Carol

It is nice to see you posting, you took a loong vacation from the forum.:)

I heard the audio and could not understand either, did not see the picture of Larry, probably only he knows what he is talking about.

Silvia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Sylvia,

I did take a long break - not on purpose - but life got sooo busy and gardening got completely squeezed out. I don't think I did a single thing in the yard other than mow/blow for most of last year. But it's funny how quickly my gardening addiction can come raging back!

You made me laugh out loud with your comment about Larry! I think you are right.

Carol in Jacksonville

• shellshok
    7 years ago

He doesn't mention a product for the bermuda just to spray it.

• User
    7 years ago

inulover - that's my theory. In FL unless you have plenty of money to throw away on a crop you can't eat, the theory is "If it's green, mow it. That's your lawn."