SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Internet privacy ...

mama goose_gw zn6OH
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, I know that's an oxymoron--we really have no privacy and anything we post is out there forever.

Would it bother you if one of your Facebook 'friends' copied something with your name on it from your account, then posted that item on another public website? This is not about this forum, or about me--I have no FB account, although I have access to my late husband's account if I need to spy on my kids. ;)

A couple of times recently I've noticed that people have posted items with another person's name and location, or included other identifying information--a birth announcement with son's new baby's full name, when the GW member posts under her real name--an obit, or a death announcement with the member's family name and the funeral home identified--and most recently, pictures of an event, copied from a FB account, with the account holder's real name displayed, and location of the event mentioned (that one seems to have disappeared, so the poster must have realized her indiscretion).

Would it bother you to know that your name and location were posted on GW, for anyone reading to see? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I wouldn't want to see my full name posted--that's why I have a username. If I post a picture of my grandson, I block his facial features. (I still remember the pic of someone's small child that a troll re-posted with a noose.) I block out license plates and house numbers, and IIRC, have never used the name of any member of my family.

If you saw identifying info on a GW post, would you point it out, message the member about it, or ignore it?

Comments (33)