SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

A very small, loooonng term project finished!

caroline94535
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This isn't a "house" project, and it wasn't on my monthly goals. It is in the yard and finishing it has made life much easier. I've been trying to get "a round tuit" for modifying this feeder for a couple of winters.

I feed the wild birds. I offer mostly Black Oil Sunflower Seed, (BOSS), along with suet and thistle seed. I offer BOSS in several different types of feeders to suit the habits of the birds feeding at any particular time.

After the temps go way below freezing, I pull out this large ground-level hopper feeder. The ground feeding birds love it. The smaller songbirds will come down from the tree-hung feeders often to check it out. Surprisingly, even the woodpeckers like it.

It holds nearly three gallons of BOSS. It sits on the 18" paver that also serves as a base for the 16" summer ground level waterer.

It is a pain to carry in and out of the garage, or when removing snow from around it. It's not all that heavy, but it is awkward. It's about 28" tall. I could not get a grip on it unless I opened the top and grasped the wood sides with my thumbs and fingers - and that was painful. It needed handles.

I came up with all sorts and grand and glorious ideas which did not materialize. I wanted long, deep handles; couldn't find them anywhere, at least not without spending more than a couple 40 lb. bags of BOSS would cost. Finally, I happened to be in Lowe's one day last week and saw these "window sash handles." BINGO. I only use this feeder when it's very cold and I have thick insulated leather work gloves on. The handles give me purchase power to move the feeder as needed.

The wood is old oak barnwood. It took me forever to drill pilot holes and get the four screws for the handles down tight.

Guess who uses the feeder the most? The 20+ turkeys that visit my yard nearly daily during the winter.

Before handles...

The window has an acrylic insert so I can see, from inside the house, when the seed needs topped up. It stays very dry in the hopper.

Hungry girl being brave.

My photos are terrible; it's a much darker red than it appears in these shots,

With handles...

and all cleaned up and and ready to be stored in the garage until next October.

Comments (19)