SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

Photos of stained rift sawn white oak?

Pink Poppy
8 years ago

I'm cross posting this from the kitchen forum in the hopes of getting help from you wood experts here on the Flooring forum. :)

If anyone would be so kind as to share your photos of stained rift sawn white oak, I'd be so appreciative! I'd like to gather a collection of photos to show my cabinet maker to help me describe what I want.

I'm not totally happy with the door sample I got from my cabinet maker (see photos below). I really like the colour of the stain but I don't like how opaque it is because it totally masks all the figure of the wood (the medullary ray flecks and natural shimmer of the wood) and I hate how the stain darkened the grain so dramatically. I do like to see the grain, but not with so much contrast to the surrounding wood.

The unstained backside of the door has wonderful figure, with a beautiful shimmer to the wood and lots of little medullary ray flecks. Here's a photo (note that it appears they used a mix of QS white oak, RS white oak and plain sawn red oak to construct the door):

Here is an example of the rich, lively finish I would like for my cabinets:

This was the best photo I could find. All the other photos I found were blurry, didn't have enough resolution to show the detail of the wood, or were of QS vs RS oak. QS oak is very popular but it's terribly difficult to find photos of RS white oak. Please help! I need more photos of stained RS oak that show the detail of the wood.

Comment