SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylynn_crandall

Help! Rift sawn oak cabinets: clear finish, stain or cerused?

Hi,

We are finalizing wood/finish choices for an order with Scherr's for two bathroom vanities. We live near the coast, and would like a light, natural, "coastal" look for the cabinets. We think we would like quarter or rift sawn white oak cabinets (haven't priced the difference yet from the plain sawn oak quote they gave me, not sure if it will be in the budget yet). We know that the wood color will change in 3-5 years, and we are wondering what to do about the finish.

I was told by a gentleman in the lumber supply that oil based polyurethanes WILL yellow the wood over time, and that can be a avoided with a non yellowing waterbased clear laquer. The finish that Scherr's uses is a Sherwin Williams acrylic catalyzed conversion clear coat, so I think we're good if we go with that option, although my understanding is that the wood will still change color over time, and I'm not sure it will still have the "look" we're going for after it does.

I guess the concern is if the color change be subtle and still work with the other finishes (tile/counter/flooring) in the bathrooms, OR if we should go with a stain color. I am remembering our 1980s oak kitchen, although I'm sure that was stained "golden", so it's not a good comparison.

If we go with stained, we would still want it to be a light stain, so I assume there would still be some change in color.

I also really like the cerused wood finish, but after reading about it here on Houzz, I have some concerns about application and durability. And I assume the wood will still change colors with this finish as well.

Any wood experts out there with finishing advice would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone that has white oak cabinets that they've had for awhile! Thank you!

Comments (10)