SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

New Gadget Roundup Time!

plllog
8 years ago

What new and useful or interesting kitchen gadgets have you found recently?

I've formed a new appreciation for the very oldest kind: Unglazed stoneware for baking. Like duh. But I'd never used it for breads before I had that notion that the perfect way to bake my whole multi-grain and seed bread was in a clay banneton. I actually found one from Mason Cash, as I reported previously, and it's a dream. I've been tempted by their similar loaf pans. I call the banneton my "flower pot". More recently, I was going to pick up a deep dish pizza pan at the restaurant supply because my biggest solid round was 9". I was always headed in the opposite direction so looked on Amazon and found this Sassafras stoneware one. It's a bit pricey for a pizza pan, but it works great where there isn't a stone or steel to give the crust that extra bit of oomph.

Something I just got to give as a gift, and hope it's as good as people say, is the Savino Wine Saving Carafe. Wine for one is tricky. So is saving the half bottles of good wine that get left when many are opened--though I'm not ready to spend on enough units for party aftermath. Vacu-vin corks are small and cheap, even if they don't work as well. That's to be seen, of course (the reviews say it's better), but the idea behind the Savino is that the float seals out all ambient air (though surely the wine picks up some as it's decanted and poured). When you tilt the carafe, the float stay level, so you don't have to move it to pour.

My biggest prize is the least of them. It's Bee's Wrap. This is beeswax impregnated cotton, with jojoba oil and tree resin. I've only had it for a few days, but I'm already a convert. The bread wrap is more than big enough. Unlike when wrapped in a tea towel, my bread (as above) doesn't dry out on the cut side, or not enough to mention. Unlike a plastic bag, the crust doesn't go soft (though it doesn't dry out either, so with a moist crumb it doesn't stay crunchy. It's really the perfect thing. I've been dreaming of a sandwich wrap like this for a long time. Theirs has a string and disk closure. I haven't used it yet, but it tickles me just to look at it. They're probably idea for cheeses, as well, and I'm wondering how they'd handle pizza dough balls. For a seal, you just warm it with your hands and the wax melts into itself. For the bread, I just wrap it around tightly like I would the towel. And no one mistakes the Bees Wrap for something to wipe their hands on!

What new (or new to you) new things have you discovered?

Comments (38)