SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musikal

Bad installation-Granite vanity countertop advice

musikal
8 years ago

I had a replacement granite countertop installed in a small bathroom on an existing vanity.. The first "granite guy" recommended to me didn't show up, so I found a contractor able to do a rush job. He came and measured the existing countertop, and install was scheduled for the next day. The installers were 2 hours later than their scheduled window. When they arrived, the sink they had brought was the wrong size and cracked, so I had to go to Lowes and get a sink. I had to go to work but my husband was there. When I looked at the top that night, I noticed problems with the install.

1. The granite extends beyond the wall. The measurement for the old top was 22 inches, this is 24 inches. This is the biggest problem, because the overhang is just on one side where there is a half wall the granite looks super crooked even thought it is not.

2. The sink reveal is odd. To be fair, I do not think that I brought up the reveal at all, I think I said flush mount but he also did not ask what I wanted. I didn't realize that there were different kinds of reveals until I looked it up after the fact. It is mostly ( not perfectly) flush at the front and left side.. The right side has a very very slight overhang on the granite. The back has a definite overhang ( negative reveal), about a 1/2 inch.

3. Crooked sides- I know it's because my walls are probably crooked, but thought the installer would measure carefully. The granite scrapes the wall at the front but there's a big gap at the back. I was planning to install mosaic tile along the entire back wall and just caulk the sides- not sure how obvious this will be once caulked.

The contractor came back to see if I was happy and to collect his payment. I told him my concerns. He said the granite guy could round the overhang. I told him that was not acceptable, that he had measured a 22 inch countertop and I wanted it recessed. The bullnose edge of the counter makes a thicker front edge of the vanity, the underside of the bullnose is already almost touching the vanity. The contractor said they would come back and take the top off and cut a bit of the back. However, it is fabricated in such a way that the underside of the granite is already almost touching the vanity, there's maybe a half inch free. He said they would grind a bit of that off to get more space.

As far as the sink reveal, he told me they do all the undermount sinks with an overhang at the back so that water will go into the sink ( which makes no sense to me since water will go into a flush mount sink also. ) Also was completely unconcerned about the gap, said to caulk it.

My questions for you are-

I don't know how much variance there normally is on the sink install- should it be completely flush all around, or are there slight imperfections? There's really just one corner that is completely flush, the rest is "mostly" flush. Should I press to have this fixed, I don't know if it's possibly to fix it with the sink installed?

Same with the side- do you normally custom- cut the granite to your space or just leave slight variances and cover it with caulk?

Are all the bullnoses made in the same way- will I have the same problem with the granite sticking out too far with a different piece of granite, or did I just get a remnant that doesn't work well with my space?

Should the granite have been sealed again, I don't think they did any kind of sealer at installation.

I'm not wanting to be a difficult customer, not sure if I should insist on starting over or just live with it.

Comments (9)