SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandgal_gw

Laughably Bad Countertop Installation

portlandgal
15 years ago

Well, my Caesarstone countertop went in yesterday. There were three major issues. The edge around the sink had areas were over-buffed. I was told by the fabricator that the cutout is done by machine, and the edge is done by hand. In all four corners of the sink, the the edge was inconsistent - 1/8 inch wide in the corner and 1/6 inch wide in the straight areas. In one "L" corner near the range, major overbuffing was very apparent to the naked eye. It was definitely wavy and rounded over the top. The final mess-up was a huge gap between the counter and the range. Apparently, the guy doing the templating left a gap that was over 1/4 inch.

The company sent someone out today to fix these three issues. While he did make them look better, I still see them. I've attached some pictures, but it's hard to see because of the shadows. I'm resigned now to living with these mistakes because I'm desperate to have my kitchen back, but I feel that I shouldn't have to pay them the full half that's due upon installation. Am I being unreasonable? Have you experienced such bad craftsmanship with your counters? If yes, what did it take to remedy the mistakes?

Corner area:

Sink area:

Gap with wall to fix gap with sink (gap is filled with some black caulk):

Comments (25)