SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Went appliance shopping--didn't see much new! Sous Vide Oven?

plllog
8 years ago

I haven't been hanging around here recently because a lot of my model specific knowledge was out of date for paying forward. Then I went appliance shopping with a friend, and found out that I still know about most of what they're showing on the high end. The latest things--which I've only seen cursorily online before--are vacuum drawers and sous vide ovens, and the electric herb growing cabinet, both of which are highly specialized. I haven't even found enough material to understand how a sous vide oven works and if it truly keeps an exact temperature.

My immersion circulator is within one degree, and the great thing about this innovation the stick style immersion circulator, is that it's so small and packs away so easily. I can use it with a big roaster pan, and save water with a small pot. Obviously, some people have kitchens that are so big they need to think of things to take up space, but sous vide is a one trick pony, so the question is, how does a sous vide oven work for other things to prove its value for other things?

The well in the vacuum drawer is also a limited size. I can see the potential in a dedicated drawer, especially if it's easier to use than a countertop model, but it would be awful to have this fancy appliance and not be able to seal up something big. Wouldn't a pull out with a countertop sealer give one the best of both worlds in the same amount of space?

The herb closet seemed nice, but I live in a climate with a year round herb garden, so I didn't look too closely. No electricity involved growing herbs here. :) If one were into wheatgrass and microgreens the cabinet might be particularly useful, and for anywhere that gets really cold, the benefits are obvious. I like the eye level of the big one much better than the undercounter variety. I wonder if the small one could be mounted high?

Comments (14)