SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Platform bed surprises

janeway452
8 years ago

I've been working on my bedroom and after adding a new hardwood floor, ordered a lovely new queen size storage bed. I guess this is what is called a platform bed. When it was due for delivery I did my research on the new mattress and decided on the

Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Elite Kelburn 12.5 Cushion Firm. The bed was set up and several days later the mattress was delivered and put on the bed and the guys shoved it up against the headboard and I was surprised to see a gap of about 4" before the footboard (actually there really isn't a footboard which I chose thinking it would be easier to rotate and/or flip). I asked them and they said that's the way it was with a lot of platform beds. Two choices, shove it all the way to the bottom and have the 4" gap between the mattress of all the way down with 4" gap at the end of the bed. Both options present problems. The worst problem that either way, you can see the board (I guess it's a bunky board) that's securely screwed the the base of the bed. Also, surprise, surprise, I have to use a step stool to get into bed! Had no idea that it would be so high. I thought since I wasn't using a box spring I would be okay. Duh. Oh, well. What's done is done and I absolutely love the bed and the mattress is the best I've ever slept on. The height I'll get used to. Now I just have to find a solution to the gap and visible ugly board and hardware problem. Any ideas?

Comments (55)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you have a fabric store near you they usually carry various thicknesses of regular foam, not memory foam! No reason to pay more for memory foam when regular is fine. Measure how much you need and buy a piece to fill in the gap. My previous mattress was that way. I bought those long body pillows and stuffed them at the head of the bed and pushed it down so the bottom was where it should be. My regular pillows and the pillow sham pillows covered up the gap at the head. Make your adjustment at the head rather than the foot it's much less noticeable. TryTry using a king size quilt that's what I do for my tall bed in the rv.

janeway452 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

Can you turn the quilt the other way, making it longer on the sides?

MY DD bought a platform bed. When they put the mattress on the platform, they felt it was too uncomfortable. They put their box spring on it and the mattress on top. It lis too high and looks ridiculous, but they say it's comfortable.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    8 years ago

Why not center the mattress on the bed. That way the gap would be equal between the headboard & footboard. Will make it easier to change the sheets. You can get supersize quilts & comforters which are a little oversized to account for today thicker mattresses but I would probably buy a king for the queen bed.

janeway452 thanked Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
  • Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

A king-sized quilt is the same length head to foot as a queen. If you want something longer, you need a California King which is pretty hard to find. Of course, you can rotate a king-sized quilt so that the side-to-side dimension is used as the head-to-foot dimension, but you have to be careful that the pattern looks right when oriented in that direction.

janeway452 thanked Fun2BHere
  • Kippy
    8 years ago

I think I would tuck the quilt in so the sides of the bed show

janeway452 thanked Kippy
  • janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, the sides of the bed are really nice to look at. All I would have to do is tuck the quilt in the side you see in the picture and bag it a bit at the bottom. Also, I'm liking the idea of buying a foam piece that is the exact width and length. Once I see it works, I can make some kind of fabric cover. I like the idea of having the bottom as it should be. The head, with the right foam, will be easier to disguise.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Are you sure it's assembled correctly? To me it almost looks like the mattress is sitting on top of the platform, i.e. no frame around it that holds the mattress in place. In other words, the mattress should sit below the edge.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

We make foam inserts for one of our beds that has a curved headboard and footboard, and the inserts fill in the areas between the mattress and the bed frame. We also upholster these inserts to match the bed frame, but the bed frame I am talking about has upholstered sides.

janeway452 thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • olychick
    8 years ago

nosoccermom, if the mattress set lower in the frame the drawers would be unusable, I think.

It's a really pretty bed for one with storage. I don't recall seeing one with legs before; it seems to me they usually sit right on the ground.

The body pillow stuffed in there is a good idea, too. you'll want something with a removable washable cover.

janeway452 thanked olychick
  • janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I know what you mean about being on legs. In fact, at one point (while waiting for it) I thought about that and checked the picture to make sure. I like that it's not on the floor. And the 6 drawers are huge. One of the reasons I chose this one was because it looked like it would be a little easier to rotate and/or flip the mattress. I guess that's what platform beds are all about. Before I check out the foam situation, I'm going to look into the body pillow, but it'll have to be firm enough.

• eandhl2
    8 years ago

Mattress wedge on Amazon.

janeway452 thanked eandhl2
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Would you mind giving the information on the bed, where to purchase? I really like it and love the storage.

janeway452 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

NSM, I agree with you. It doesn't need much of a frame edge, but it helps keep the mattress in place and helps hide the tucked or contour portion of the lower sheet. You'd think they could add something without impinging on the drawer.

That small frame edge is nothing when it comes to rotating the mattress. I have a footboard that's higher than the top of my deep mattress and I can rotate it singlehandedly.

janeway452 thanked Bunny
  • janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There is just a bit of a frame edge, but the mattress is so heavy that it's not going to slide off. I can just barely turn it bit by bit to rotate it.

I purchased this from Woodcraft Furniture in Cincinnati. It's from the McKenzie collection from Whittier Wood Furniture. If you go to whittierwood.com there's a page to find dealers. I checked out the website and some of the McKenzie storage beds looked lower, but maybe they had thinner mattresses. I've got the 3 drawer night stand and you have to sort of reach down a bit. In one picture it looks normal and in others it's like mine.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mattress wedge! So, it turns out that this is not an uncommon problem. Loved reading the comments. "the abyss between wall and bed", "the dreaded bed crack". A lot of these purchasers are happy with this. I may just give it a try.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

Thank you for the purchase info. I am going to have to stop by the local shop and check it out

janeway452 thanked Kippy
  • ratherbesewing
    8 years ago

Your current coverlet might be a full/queen size. That size is usually smaller than a coverlet offered in a queen size ( pet peeve of mine). Also, if you opt for foam at a fabric store (Joann's or Hobby Lobby), there are coupons available online.

janeway452 thanked ratherbesewing
  • K Sissy
    8 years ago

If you are going to use any kind of foam make sure that you let it off gas in your garage..door open, outside on porch etc, for a while so you don't have to breathe the toxic fumes every night when you are sleeping. There is foam that is environmentally friendly, but it is very expensive.

janeway452 thanked K Sissy
  • amck2
    8 years ago

Re Kippy's comment above - I think your bed frame is lovely. I would also consider tucking your quilt.

I have a sleigh bed and tuck so the nice wood sides aren't hidden.

janeway452 thanked amck2
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

If you look at these pictures

the 3/3 photo seems to have a wider surround frame. The drawers look like they sit lower.

Is your bed 87.75” length?

janeway452 thanked nosoccermom
  • janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I measured from leg to leg (easiest) and it's 85.5" long. Interesting.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Amazon wedge seems to be made from squishable memory foam, so that won't do. So I searched for upholstery foam and found a site called DIY Upholstery and you can put in your dimensions and ask for firmness and density. An expert at the site suggested 1.9 density. This might be the right way to go. Lars/J.Robert Scott any suggestions? Suggestions for how to get it covered?

• jakkom
    8 years ago

We've owned platform beds for years. Single drawers (measured horizontally) are best if you want standard bed height or a little lower, with most mattresses. One of our mattresses was a massive 22" high CA King and I almost felt I needed to leap into the bed, LOL.

If you are buying a platform bed with horizontally stacked double drawers, then yes, they're quite high with today's mattresses. Mattresses have been getting thicker and thicker over the years, growing from the old 13" to a new standard of 18" on average. But the 20+" range, once uncommon in the early '90's, is now frequently found on higher-end mattresses.

There's a reason why people are once again buying modern versions of that Victorian era necessity, the "bed stairs":

http://smile.amazon.com/Powell-Attic-Cherry-Bed-Steps/dp/B000KFUDGG/ref=pd_sim_75_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41x3a3-fDmL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=03AM9R4PM2CJY8BES553

We also own a twin-size Murphy bed cabinet for the guest room, which has the same problem as the OP: it is slightly larger than the twin mattress, but not so much that one could fit a double mattress on it. Pillows take care of the extra head room, but for the side I went to a foam shop and had them cut a 4" wide, firm density strip.

Fortunately the twin mattress pad had a nice stretchiness to it and covered the foam strip.

For the OP's issue, a medium density foam would work for the extra headroom (the abyss - I love it!). In a pinch, wrap a bedsheet around it until you get somebody to make up a cover (with a zipper! very important) for it.

janeway452 thanked jakkom
  • Michael
    8 years ago

I wouldn't say the 20" is found on higher end mattresses. Higher priced? Yes. But high price doesn't guarantee a high end mattress. Most S' companies stuff their high priced mattresses with polyurethane foam, not latex and wool.

Jane, have you measured the Queen mattress? Do you plan to flip it? According to the Sealy website, it's a one-sided mattress.

janeway452 thanked Michael
  • janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thankfully, I will only have to rotate it. It's really heavy, so I'm really glad. And the 3/4" drop to the bunky board make this possible for me.

Thanks, jakkom, I'll remember the zipper. I'm guessing the material should be similar, or maybe the same as the sheets I use. If I buy an extra twin flat sheet, I'd have the material. I wonder how upholsterers create patterns for various items (or how seamstresses "create" clothing patterns. If it's fairly simple, I might be able to make it myself.

These six drawers are huge and I noticed that the middle drawers are wider. If you've got cats, you know how if you open a drawer they have to inspect. This passed the cat scan!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Is your mattress 80" long? Just trying to make sense of the measurements. Or did you measure the inside from leg to leg?

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I don't know how real upholsterers make patterns. Back in 1974 I made fitted seat covers for our VW bug out of patchwork Levi's. My sewing ability extremely basic. I made patterns from butcher paper laid over the seat parts and cut out the fabric. They turned better than I'd expected, and zero cost.

janeway452 thanked Bunny
  • caroline94535
    8 years ago

Linelle - 1974, great vehicle, patchwork from Levis, thrifty do-it-yourself...I was living that same life, except I didn't have a bug (I was driving a 1964 four-door Chevy Impala. It was an indestructible tank! I wish I had it now.)

Great memories.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Good thing that drawer passed the Cat Scan! That reminds me, my work friend has turned one of her drawers into a dog bed. She opens it at night when turning down the covers and her little dog hops right in. Then she closes it up in the morning. Her dog does not miss sleeping up on the bed at all :)

janeway452 thanked Errant_gw
  • Michael
    8 years ago

Mattress size?

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's a queen size. I measured it and it's 77"L and 57"W (my measurements may not be exact).

• Michael
    8 years ago

then it's 3" undersized width and length. My queen mattress is 60.25 W X 80.25 L.

The standard size for US Queen mattresses is: 60W X 80L.

Serta Mattress Sizes

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

What Brushworks says. It should be 80"

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow. It's kind of funny, but before getting the measuring tape out I tried to locate the dimensions on the Sealy site and could not. Just the depth (12.5). I wonder why they made it so much smaller. I'm going to call the Mattress Firm and see what they say. If it was 3" longer, there would really not have been a problem. Thanks for the info, Brushworks and nosoccermom.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just measured the bed (where the mattress sits) and it's 80"x60". So the bed is normal, but the mattress is not.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Even mattresses are getting smaller? :(

janeway452 thanked Errant_gw
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Hm, from the Sealy website (under options)

"Queen
    79"
    length 59.75" width

Dimensions of each individual mattress may vary."

I'd say that they shouldn't vary by that much!

http://www.sealy.com/mattresses/sealy-posturepedic/posturepedic-hybrid

• zmith
    8 years ago

This is a head scratcher. You'd think if the mattress was too small then the sheets would have a loose fit. That doesn't appear to be the case here, tho. Pretty bed, btw.

janeway452 thanked zmith
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Not if the mattress is really fat.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I guess the mattress is fat. These are the sheets that I used with my old mattress and they were almost exactly as tight. Go figure. Well, egg on my face. I just remeasured the mattress. I used a book hanging over the top to find

the edge (the edge slopes) on both ends. Using that edge it actually measures 79". Go figure. Twice. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. The bed is 80" the mattress is 79", so then why is there a 4" gap? Is there a physicist in the house? Oh, well. I guess it is what it is. I have some solutions. Mattress Firm gave me a body pillow that I can shove into the abyss, and I bought the foam and electric carving knife to cut it, to make the insert if that doesn't work. Still loving the mattress and the bed.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Funny. Somewhere you're missing 3"?

But if you love the bed and the mattress and add the foam wedge, it sounds like you've found the solution.

• Michael
    8 years ago

I wouldn't tolerate a messy situation like that. I'd lose sleep over it.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, the body pillow sort of works. I'll have to get a cover for it. If I decide the make the foam block, I'll still have to make a cover for it. Either way, when the bed is made, it will be invisible. Next of my to do list is to find a quilt or coverlet that I like that is a "true" queen size (thanks, ratherbesewing) or at least longer than my present one. I'm also going to revisit Elite Interiors suggestion of centering the mattress next time I make the bed. I'll shoot for 2" on both ends and see how that looks and works. Thanks so much to everyone for helping me with this!

• Michael
    8 years ago

Did you get a response from Mattress Firm or Sealy?

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

After I re-measured and found out that the mattress was actually 79" L and didn't see any point in contacting Sealy. The guy from MF was very nice and sympathetic and offered to replace it, but said the new one would likely be the same. He did give me a body pillow, that sort of works. So, it turns out that it's not ideal but I've found two, maybe three solutions. 1) Split the difference and leave 2" on each end (I'll try this when I change the sheets, 2) find a cover for the body pillow. Not very smooth looking, and it looks like I'll have to periodically punch it down, but it does prevent the pillows from falling into the abyss, and 3) cut the 4" wide foam rubber that I bought to make a 60" x 11" x 4" block that I'll have to find a way to cover. It'll have a smooth top, won't budge (see photo above). When I find my new quilt and the bed is made, no one will know and I'll be able to prop up pillows to read in bed without slipping into the bed crack!

P.S. It's still a mystery why a 79" mattress placed on an 80" bed leaves such a wide gap. I guess there a some things we are just not meant to understand.

• Michael
    8 years ago

P.S. It's still a mystery why a 79" mattress placed on an 80" bed
    leaves such a wide gap. I guess there a some things we are just not
    meant to understand.

Perhaps you're using a defective tape measure. :)

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

One that changes between measurements.

• Springroz
    8 years ago

"Contents of mattress may settle in shipment, changing dimensions.."

janeway452 thanked Springroz
  • ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

Will the fitted sheet fit over the foam you're cutting? Might work to treat it and the mattress as one piece.