SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

A quick duvet cover

mamapinky0
8 years ago

I've decided I'm in need of a new duvet cover for my lighter weight summer down filled comforter. As you can probably guess its almost impossable to find these in twin size at least in a store where I can feel what I'm buying and something affordable, so I've decided to make my own using 2 Twin size sheets (Target Thresholds). These are not new and have been laundered enough times that they arnt going to shrink anymore. They will need ironed in order to get proper measurements. I'm trying to decide how to do the closure, I want this simple so I'm not doing buttons besides with my bad eyesight I'm not so sure I can see to sew a straight line let alone make the button holes. I don't like Velcro so that's out, maybe large snaps will work? I think it was Poppy that gave me the idea to make duvet covers using sheets?? Have any of you done this and have any do'&don't's for me? It seriously cannot be a difficult job, its just a big pillowcase lol.Thank You .

Comments (27)

• rococogurl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've seen some that close with 3" cloth ties. But those require a lot of sewing to make. Half inch ribbon would be another option. Snaps would work as well. Some duvets are open on the end, like pillow cases. The quilt stays in place better with a placket like you have for shams. But it should be just fine with open end provided enough margin is left at the end.

Personally, I'd go to IKEA, which is over an hour for me but always so much fun.

mamapinky0 thanked rococogurl
  • javiwa
    8 years ago

mama: I've been making my own duvet covers out of sheets for years -- the cost of duvet covers was ridiculous for, as you rightly put, oversized pillow cases. :)

I did my first set using these heavy duty snaps, purchased at our local JoAnn Fabrics:

A bit of an involved process (poking a hole in the fabric, inserting one of the metal bases through the hole, placing a cap over the base stem; while holding in place, set that metal post ^^ pictured above onto the cap, then hammer flat, etc., etc.). It gave a very polished look as the 'button' was available in white. I don't see the white online any more (search for Dritz Snap), and the online reviews range from poor to average. I wonder if, as with many products, they just don't make them like they used to.

I went this route because it was the least expensive (yet aesthetically pleasing) option. The little nickel snaps just didn't hold, and the oversized snaps were just to expensive.

For my second 'batch' of duvet covers, I moved to buttonholes and oversized buttons..perfect.

I recently sewed four covers for my elderly mom, using Target Threshold sheets. Part of the fun is that you can mix and match flat sheets. As she didn't have a sewing machine that could do buttonholes, we ended up attaching the large snaps by hand -- she helped...fun bonding exercise. :)

Not cheap, given we used 6 per cover; but it was the best option. The Threshold sheets happen to be on sale, so it all worked out.

One tip is to double up the bottom of the cover (by folding up the excess), so you're attaching snaps/buttons to a thicker piece of fabric -- lessens the likelihood of tearing at button sites.

To keep the comforters from shimmying around inside the cover, I sew 6" loops of satin ribbon (cut 12" lengths, and sew the ends into the cover's seam to prevent fraying) in the top corners, two in the middle top, and a couple along each side (near the middle and towards the bottom). And I attach similar loops in the same locations onto the comforter edge. Tying the loops together before inverting keeps the comforter in place. Hope all of that makes sense.

I don't know if Ikea linens have changed (for the better) over the years, but I always found their lowest level sheets to be very loose knit and scratchy. I just googled one set ($19.99 for pillowcase and duvet cover), and saw the thread count was only 104. I think even basic muslin starts at 150.

Have fun with your project!

mamapinky0 thanked javiwa
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ikea is at least an hour from me and I'm scared to death to go there, I just know I'm going to want, want, want. I do plan on going at some point just have to hit hubs up at the right time. Lol.

I was thinking of using ribbon...I will hit Ikea up one day but in the meantime I will still make one of these, its a rather simple job, the way I'm doing it and lord knows I can spare the sheets. Actually I have so many old 70's retro printed flat sheets that I may make the boys each a new duvet cover also, they will be thrilled to have something other than white and I can put to use a few of these sheets.

I seen a stunning duvet cover at Target yesterday..it was labled. Linen/cotton...was a natural color linen and felt absolutly lovely. I was rather surprised to see it there and was bummed it only came in King. It looked and felt as close to old linen as I've personally seen face to face In a new product, so of course I'm going to have to check out Targets website for it. I know I'm crazy.

Thank you Roc and Always for your advice.

• poppy214
    8 years ago

Whoa, late to the party. Yes, you can make duvet covers out of sheets. Yes you can use snaps, but with caution on those Threshold sheets. They do tend to tear when under pressure. Javiwa's suggestion of double thick seam allowance is a good one if you choose snaps. There is also twill tape with snaps already attached made for slipcovers if you want to consider that. Wide seam allowance with two straight seams down the side of the tape to attach to the sheet. I made mine with a zipper closing; buttons are common. With the amount of washing your sheets get, Pinky, I would suggest you use the oldest of closings: ties.

1. Make sure your seam allowances are wide enough to attach the loops you will need at the four corners. Hint No. 1 for those with poor vision (like me) mark the seam allowance width on the bed of your sewing machine with masking tape or painters tape ( I like a big color contrast). Then you just slide the fabric next to that lighter or darker color and it will be straight. Hint No. 2. To make seaming easier: It's lots of fabric so make your life simpler by having the weight of the fabric supported by your table behind the machine and something else behind your chair. I use my ironing board set to the right height to support the fabric behind. If you have back or shoulder trouble, this takes all the weight of the fabric off you as you feed it through the machine.

2. Ties can be made out of any washable fabric. I suggest twill tape or double fold seam bias tape sewn on the edges. Both available at Joann's or a fabric store. Loops in the inner corners of my duvet cover were 1.5 inches for easy threading ( I cut a 3 in strip of tape and folded it in half and stitched to the seam allowance in the corner). You can make the ties on the corners of the blanket any length that is easy for you. I seamed the ends so it wouldn't fray, but you could use fray check or a pinking shears instead. Then tack them to the four corners of your blanket.) Ribbon is pretty, but doesn't really hold up well to repeated hot washing. The bias seam binding is a better colorful substitute, IMO, if you want pretty.

There are books available that describe this process. It's not difficult and doesn't require anything but a straight stitch machine. Good Luck.

mamapinky0 thanked poppy214
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Poppy, you give some great advice. I will write down whst I need from the fabric store and go shopping, maybe this week. Thank You Poppy.

Javiwa, you also have helped me Thank You

Thank you all for your advice...I am woman hear me roar.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

Oh duh. There had to be a duvet tutorial on a blog. Here's one from Design Sponge. Should be specifically for a twin. There are others. Many others that show up on Google. Have fun MP!!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Roc thanks for the link, Hmm..this may not be as easy as I thought..lol..but I'll give it a try. I first have to assemble everything I'll need.

Thank all of you for the advice and tips.

• poppy214
    8 years ago

@ Pinky, Don't be put off by the complexity of the instructions Design Sponge listed. For one thing, she talks about standard width fabric; you want to sew sheets together. French seams, nice, but you don't need them. Your seams will be inside. You will have to measure your comforter/blanket. If you trim your sheets, you will have to finish the cut edge so it won't fray = zig zag the edge or sew an extra line of stitch. If the blanket and the sheet are close in size, just put it together. The corner ties will hold it in place. It's nice to be precise, but you don't need to be for a utility item. Have fun with it.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Pink-you wouldn't happen to have a serger do you or a friend who does?

mamapinky0 thanked sparky823
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sparky, I do have moms old overlock machine, however I don't know how to use it and I think she had problems with it..I think its a brother, but could be wrong about the brand..I know she also has a Brother sewing machine I think she bought in the 80's new that went to the mechanic many times yet never worked right..and an older I think from the early 70's portable in case kenmore or singer I can't remember they are packed in a closet..if shipping wasn't so high I would have liked to send these machines to Poppy, who could get some use out of them, so no Sparky even if moms overlock works and even if I had good eyesight, a seamstress I have never been LOL. oh, I can thread a basic machine and probably sew a straight line, but other than that I'm a total dummy. Mom was the seamstress working in the industry all her life, but I just couldn't pick up the interest.

• javiwa
    8 years ago

mama -- I think you're fine thinking about this as no more complicated than a pillowcase with the loopies sewn into the seams at intervals...and the comforter's a big, ol', flat pillow. :) All I have is a tabletop portable machine from ages ago...straight line's all you need to do, esp if you'll be hand sewing the large snaps on (or even the ties at the bottom).

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol..I do think I will do the ties...funny thing about a duvet cover...I had the hubs put my daughters down filled com. In the cover a few days ago, funniest thing I ever seen and I know it took him an hour, I just went on my merry way and let him fight this since it kept him out of my hair awhile, but afterwards he said never again will I do this it has to be worse than batteling a tiger. .lol.

• javiwa
    8 years ago

Here you go, mama -- for when you feel like letting hubs off the hook, share this with him. :)

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

What a nifty trick, thanks Javiwa! I must admit that while our housekeeper isn't allowed to do any of the laundry, I do often leave the duvet cover drying in the dryer when I leave in the morning and let her deal with putting it back on. I hate it! We have a queen but use a king comforter and it's just a pest. I'll try the burrito :)

mamapinky0 thanked Alex Chicago
  • javiwa
    8 years ago

Alex: I must admit that as nifty a trick that is, I have my own tried-and-true method -- but I'm mentally filing the burrito roll as a fun thing to try sometime. I simply lay the comforter down, turn the cover inside out and lay onto the comforter, then tie all the ties together. I then slip my hands (and for the queen-sized duvets, sometimes half my body!) inside the cover layers, grab the top corners, then pull towards me. This de-inside-outs the cover -- a few quick shakes, and I'm done. I must say when the kids were younger, they were all giggles watching Mom do this maneuver! :)

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I saw that burrito and think it's harder than what I do. I gather up the duvet, put a corner of each side in the duvet corners and just shake it until it falls down over the duvet. Then I grab the open end, put it on the bed and thump to even it out.

We also have a king duvet and I admit it is way more difficult than the queen size was. Lost that one in one of the moves. Wish I had it.

@mamapinky -- just sew the 3 sides of the sheets together so the open end has the finished top of sheets (double thickness), press out the seams and sew on the snaps.

It's not a huge deal. It's really only 3 seams. Didn't mean to make it overly complicated with that tutorial. It will just look like a big, flat pillowcase.

• practigal
    8 years ago

I made one from sheets, it was like a tuck in pillow case, no special closure required. It worked fine on a queen bed, so there should be no issue on a twin bed size duvet. link http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tuckin-pillowcases-93906

mamapinky0 thanked practigal
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Exactly what I'm gonna do Roc lol...have to get to the fabric store first as I'm going to have to do some ties. Amiee uses a queen size, the down comforter stays in place well without having to tie it in, but my lighter weight (summer down) twin sizes need tied as they tend not to stay where they should, I already have ties sewn onto the twin down comforters and the boys down alternitive..I suppose Lilys (dog) will take the longest to do as I will have to cut down a cheapo flat sheet, pillow cases are just not wide enough. yes folks I'm even sicker than you all thought, a duvet cover for a dog, but she uses a infant size blanket at the foot of my bed..so much easier to keep clean with the cover. Currently using a king pillowcase. Haha. I run a lint tape over it daily and wash a few time a week. (Not with mine)

I stuff my duvet cover like Roc does, but the burrito looks like something to try Thank You.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Talk about a "duh" moment. Why don't I just keep a sheet folded up on the bottom of the bed to collect the dog and cat fur? Sheesh. I'm supposed to be an adult. Thanks!

mamapinky0 thanked Alex Chicago
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alex..lol..yes its so much easier to get the fur/hair off the fabric of a sheet than it is many blanket fabrics. I don't just use a folded sheet because my little girl gets chilled easily and needs her blankie lol

• poppy214
    8 years ago

@Pinky. So start with the dog duvet. 1 flat twin sheet is 72 x90. Fold in half lengthwise = 36 in wide. Fold 90 length in half to get 45. Press 45 in line. Cut across 45 in line. Your dog duvet is half finished. Keep the 36 in fold and seam 2 sides . Third side can be open or partially seamed. Apply closing of your choice. Done, one dog duvet cover.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Poppy, you have a great way of putting things in prospective Thank You...OMG when I think in your terms its so much easier..lol..Thanks Poppy.

• poppy214
    8 years ago

Pinky: It ain't brain surgery. Think of the generations of female ancestors who couldn't read and wouldn't know a tape measure if they saw one. Your Tim could probably do this project.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not a fair comparison..Tim is brilliant LOL.

• poppy214
    8 years ago

Great, let the boys help with the measuring and drawing the lines for sewing. Washout marker works great. If your hands are bothering you, they can help with the cutting, but that's at your own risk. This is a snap with a rotary cutter, but that takes practice.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

You know, mama, you could just leave the opening open and at the foot of the bed. If you're going to put ties, it won't be able to slink out :)

mamapinky0 thanked Errant_gw
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida