SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emcsq

Okna 500 vs. Simonton 5500

emcsq
8 years ago

We have received quotes for both Okna 500 and Simonton 5500 replacement windows. We still need to do more research on the Simonton 5500 ratings, but I am wondering, if all things are equal on the installation, what should the price difference be? We are replacing 22 windows, 20 of which are double-hung. I know that Okna is a higher-end window, but I did not expect the quote to be 40% higher than the Simonton 5500. I have a high degree of confidence in both installers. Does this sound right?

Comments (36)

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We dont comment on price here because it can be regional as well as a host of other various factors. I can tell you that the okna 500 is a better product, there is no disputing that. The okna wins on all fronts: looks, lower Ufactor, MUCH lower air infiltration rating. The okna is probably more money and for good reason, its a better window.

the simonton is a very old design and its also very bulky. They really need to update that window. It also has a high infiltration rating which is a total deal breaker for me. Im not here to totally push the okna brand ,in fact there are a few other brands i like very much as well but in this case, the okna is a very clear winner.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK, thank you very much, Window1. It is a nice window, I was just surprised at the extreme difference. We recently upgraded our HVAC system and added insulation to the attic, so I would say that we are not desperate for low air flow rates (although I do still need to look at the NFRC numbers for Simonton).

• Related Discussions

Simonton 5500 patio door vs Pella/Andersen

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you. Middle of the row, is probably what I'm looking for. Since this door will not get used much at all, I'm looking for an affordable option that is decent in quality. Pella, in general, does not have very good reviews from consumers, so that's why I'm wondering if the Simonton 5500 would be a better option. Plus, it's saves a decent chunk of money.
    ...See More

okna 400 vs 500 replacement or new construction

Q

Comments (16)
    First, thank everyone for the speedy responses, your insight is very helpful. Seems like Okna 500 is definitely the preferred option. I have a follow up question. I am in between Okna 500 vs. Interstate 8800. Interstate is definitely smaller and less known. Can anyone comment the difference between them is substantial? The price differential is ~$50 per window with Okna being more expensive. Thank you!
    ...See More

Okna v. Simonton v. PGT

Q

Comments (18)
    One last thing, my builder saw the quote from Okna and pointed out that the new construction windows by Okna use wood jamb extensions. He seemed to think that was somehow an issueâ¦.not really sure what the issue isâ¦.most of the windows are being installed on 2x4 walls, with a few on a 2x6 wall. The wood jamb extensions are 4 9/16 for the 2x4 walls and 6 9/16 for the 2x6 walls. Is there any issue here? What am I not getting? I'm not sure what the standard is for other windows as I had not paid much attention to the jamb materials. Do other windows use vinyl jambs? Is there some disadvantage to the wood jamb?
    ...See More

Simonton 5500, 6500 vs. Alside Sheffield

Q

Comments (24)
    ReplaceReplacement vinvinyl windows double pane low e argon gas ive got quotes from Andersen Apex, simonton Alside 8000 , i have quotes coming from Windsor and Amsco i recognize a couple of your recos so i will get quotes from them
    ...See More
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

The benefits of that new hvac unit will be mitigated by air infiltration: both hot air in the summer and cold air in the winter. Ultimately you want the best window you can afford.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Speaking of air infiltration, why doesn't Okna include the air infiltration on their NFRC ratings for their double-hung? A rep mentioned that the air infiltration was 0.1, but the NFRC website doesn't show any number at all for any of the 1800 or 800 series. The 500 series shows an infiltration of "<0.3." I know that air infiltration is an optional rating that the manufacturer doesn't have to include on the label, but if Okna's ratings are truly so good, why not display it? Plus, how do we even know that this rep was telling the truth?

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok. The salesman only mentioned NFRC and did not leave any brochures. So, it's proving a challenge to independently verify the features.
  • emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Follow up question: what do you pros mean when you say the Simonton is outdated? We have a single 5500 that was installed in one room of our home, and we aren't clear on what is outdated. Yes, the vinyl does seem thick, but it's currently windy and 33 outside, and we can't feel air coming in. It even seems to have a sloping sill, which is one of the features the Okna rep pointed out. Thanks for any clarifying help!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

The quote should not be that much more nor do I feel it is worth the difference. Maybe get some more quotes on Okna or Soft-Lites?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago

While 40% is a big discrepancy, the Simonton quote could just as easily be very low as the okna could high.

I have a sample of each of these in my store, and the difference in look and feel is pretty substantial. Also, while the Simonton does have a sloped sill, it still has weep holes where some moisture stills channels through the frame.

Regatding air infiltration ratings as started above, the nfrc does not test them. They will put it on the label, however the threshold to which they "round" makes that virtually useless. Products that have great ratings in this area do indeed market it both in literature and on their websites. You can also request a structural test report for any product that will detail this and other structural ratings. It is advisable if you aren't sure that a sales person is being truthful.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks, Todd. That was my thought after reading what others have paid. I need to get him to itemize the proposal for us, but he also indicated that he was giving us a hefty discount because we do not need financing. Without that discount, we would be at $800-900 per Okna 500. Seems high.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Probably on the high side unless you have a very complex project

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

+1

Without knowing the project specifics and trim packages, seems on the upper end of the scale. Don't know much about what they are proposing in terms of consumables either here.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Windows on Washington, what are consumables? I'm not totally sure, but from looking at the Okna website, it looks like the only included option is foam. I think the spacers, lift mechanism, screens, and warranty are standard. This is tougher than buying a car!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Trim package is as it refers to how and what is going to be done per the installation. Consumables pertains to coil stock, foam, sealants, and wood that may be used. These aren't huge price contributors when you look at them on a per item basis, but if company "X" is using premium sealants, flexible foam, and high end coils...that adds up to each window and definitely drives the project cost up as compared to using less substantial products.

While it can be a bit cumbersome to sort through the information, the fact of the matter is that it is a purchase of some significance. When people compare cars, they don't just buy the first one and they usually do some research. There seems to be a void of that when it comes to home improvements, but when you compare total costs, some folks are buying a new car worth of windows, siding, or roofing.

You are ahead of the curve because you are actually putting in the time to research and familiarize yourself with the ins and outs. Good luck and keep us posted as we will be happy to provide you with more feedback.

• PRO
    8 years ago

+1. Pricing is always tricky because there are so many variables, and folks can often take something they read as gospel. For instance, we recently installed some 36x72 dh's in a 4th story condo. They had tempered, triple pane glass, painted exteriors, new interior casing and required a 100ft lift rental to install, which was thousands over dollars over a few days. The average price that you mentioned would be outrageously CHEAP in that situation. Some simple inserts in a ranch home, white/white with no trim capping, no lead safe, no other options, that price would be pretty high. Most projects fall within the miles of gray area somewhere in between.... You also then have to take into consideration the age, size, reputation, location, etc of the company that you are considering. A company with a 10k sq ft facility, 50 employees, and a stellar 20 year track record will obviously be more expensive than a guy in year two of his business workin from home. Again, most choices are somewhere in between, but peace of mind and security vs savings is another item that gets weighed.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Whoa big fella. Lets not try to push that narrative that someone with a storefront is any sort of benefit.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

Foam does not really add more when you consider the time it saves, exterior caulking should always be polyurethane based caulk, sometimes I would consider a silicone or something like Quad Max as well. Coils are pretty much the same for all manufactures in quality and cost. Alside does have a G8 coil that is nice and my personel favorite is Edco Entex. Consumables like wood would only matter on a full frame install. If the installation details are the same and both companies are reputable one is clearly overpriced. I would make sure whoever you choose has at least 50 employees and 10k sf and 20+ years or they are just a pretender.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

I would not accept anyone driving a vehicle that is over 5 years either.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I guess you missed where I said "These aren't huge price contributors". If you add up all the differences between the most basic caulk and walk type install vs. a very comprehensive install and better materials selections, it can add up to about $10-15 a window pretty easily. Not a huge deal breaker on materials alone, but seeing as we still don't know what the different proposals are and the OP hasn't posted back with that information, its impossible to see or rationalize a legitimization of the delta.

Sarcasm Alert: As far as your last sarcastic comment, the square footage should be at least 12,500 in total and a yard for equipment.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi. No one had given us those kinds of details for cost of material and installation. But at $15 extra per window, we are talking about less than $350.

We are speaking to Soft-lite this afternoon. Can you guys give me the inside track on what to look for and how they compare to Okna 500 or Simonton?
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

Did not miss it at all, just trying to point out what these items were so emcsq would know specifically what these items were and to perhaps make sure we are comparing an apples to apples install.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Hard to take a post as serious when the last statements are pure hyperbole. Perhaps you can separate out the posts or highlight the fact that you are being sarcastic in that section for other readers. I know that you don't have a serious bone in your body, but other might not.

• PRO
    8 years ago

As far as the comparison between the Okna and Soft-Lite, the best comparative is the Okna 500 = Soft-Lite Imperial LS and the Okna 800 = Soft-Lite Elements.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

Typically if a contractor is using subpar materials they'd be one to avoid even if they said they would upgrade them. Use of subpar materials and subpar installation often go hand in hand. Use of the G8 coil or entex would however would be an exception, these are usually upgrades or even special request. Soft-Lite is good ,Elements is top then LS. The LS is somewhat similar to the 500. Their lower lines like the Pro are pretty good, above the Simonton and not far behind the 500. Let us know and we'll let you know.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

I can not even tell when I'm being sarcastic anymore?!

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks, guys. Last question...Vytex Fortis? How would you line that up with the Okna and Soft-lite models?
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

Close to the 500 but slightly below

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

The okna 500 is made better than the simonton, its a very good window. The vytex fortis is also a good window and made better than the simonton. This is based on the performance numbers and also looks.

The simonton 5500 has an air infiltration rating of .17 which is very high based on todays newer standards.

The other 2 are much more air tight. Okna has a nicer sill design than the simonton, i dont like the outdated weep holes simonton incorporate.

• PRO
    8 years ago

The G8 is not cheap. The guys love it though so we have been running it for years. We buy it in palettes when it comes to the whites and man do I hate getting that invoice.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

I think the Entex is a little nicer and they just expanded their color selection. Edco stopped with the regular smooth coil, so now all those colors are available in Entex and they lowered the price to smooth coil pricing.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Who are you picking that up through? Can't say that I have seen it here.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

Directly through Edco Arrowhead, indirectly through Norandex/ABC. Maybe regional, they are known for there steel siding here. Similar texture to G8 but not so shiny. They also have the colors in steel , soffit, fascia and gutters. It's going on my house along with their steel siding.

• emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are trying to narrow things down between Okna 500, Vytex Fortis, and Soft-lite Pro (or maybe LS). They all seem to be energy-efficient "enough," so our primary factors will probably be the final negotiated cost, aesthetics, and ease of use/operability.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to see all three windows side-by-side. If I could compare them side-by-side, what differences would be obvious? For instance, the Vytex rep said that the Soft-lite Imperial LS has significantly more vinyl (more bulky?) than the Fortis? Is this true? If so, how does the Okna stack up?

Any other deciding factors?

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

The vytex fortis looks somewhat similar to the soft lite imperial ls but it is more narrow and less bulky. That said , the Ls is a very good window. Obviously, the okna is a great window.

• PRO
    8 years ago
    The okna will offer the slimmest frame and the best performance in u factor and air infiltration. The vytex is not too far behind in those areas though. The Simonton is significantly lagging in all of those areas. You should also keep in mind that while some of these differences in performance may not seem tremendous, they are also great indicators of product quality.... In my own opinion, this is really a two horse race for you.
  • emcsq
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, the Simonton is definitely out!