SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

Nitty gritty questions about planning cabinet and drawer storage

Pink Poppy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm just about ready to start laying out my drawers and cabinets! I read all the sticky threads in the Kitchen FAQs and still have questions about the fine details of planning storage. I have also searched the forum to try to find answers on my own, but the answers are sprinkled throughout so many threads that I find it overwhelming to sift through. I hope you all aren't too annoyed that I took the lazy route here!

1. Cabinets at the end of a run next to a wall: how much filler is standard to ensure the door can open fully and not run into the wall? Same for the cabinets next to a wall-mount hood?
  2. The under mount sink I'll likely be getting is a total 35" wide. The manufacturer specifies a minimum 36" sink cabinet. Should I allow for a larger sink cab or will 36" be sufficient?
  3. When I get into measuring the exact dimensions I want for each drawer and cabinet, how exact do I get? It hurts my brain to try to get down to the exact fractions of an inch because I don't know exactly how much to allow for the width/depth of the cabinet frames, the drawer frames, hinges, slides, etc. I plan to get full overlay, frameless cabinets. I believe my cabinet maker uses 1/2" plywood for the frames.
  4. I will be getting a cabinet made over the fridge, with a matching frame to go around the fridge. I've read that I should be careful when sizing that frame so that the fridge door can open properly. How do I size that? My cab maker will likely take care of this but I want to know for myself, so I can double check.
  5. What's the standard height for the toe kick? i.e. At what height do I start my bottom drawers at?
  6. How far between the bottom of the counter and the tops of the top row of drawers do I allow for?
  7. How much do I need to allow on either side of my DW for installation?
  8. I'll be getting quartz counters. Should I take into account the size of a slab so I can plan for where the seams will land?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... I'll post more as they come up! Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments (26)