SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Drawer dish storage and rotation.

palimpsest
11 years ago

Some of the questions I have about using deep drawers to store dishes relate to reach/grasp, weight of the stack, and rotation.

Growing up, when the clean dishes were put back in the cabinets, the stack was pulled out, the clean dishes were put on the bottom and then the dishes already in the cabinet got put back on top. This insured an even rotation of dishes so the same ones didn't get used over and over.

Same with silverware: nested, and pulled off one side, replaced on the other. Glasses usually got used enough that this wasn't an issue, but now that there are two of us and I am crass enough to drink the diet iced tea right out of the big plastic jug unless we have guests (I am the only one who drinks it and I drink it by the gallon)--we rotate the glasses.

Anyway, I just think of pulling out that stack of dishes basically using your fingers, since you are reaching down. I have an occupational thing where my fingers sometimes jerk and let go that will only get worse, so I picture dropping a lot of dishes. Particularly in this reaching from the top and pulling up position.

In this regard isn't a cabinet where you can really grab the stack with your hand at the base of the stack better?

Wouldn't horizontal access (cabinet) in the waist to neck height location be almost ideal?

Comments (32)