SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard904

Waterproofing a pre-existing laundry room

richard904
8 years ago

I live in an apartment in California on the third floor which has an outdoor laundry closet off the porch. It is robust enough to handle the load of a washer and dryer and the vibration; however it is clearly not waterproof. It appears to have a concrete board floor, and it has an overflow pipe right at floor level which drain to the outside. Incredibly the walls come down and terminate 1/2 inch above the floor, and thus water can flow to the inside walls from the floor and then down wherever it goes to the lower floors along the inside wall. It is like going into a bathroom and seeing a big gap between the bathtub and the floor without a waterproof baseboard.

What is an efficient way for me to waterproof the laundry closet? This apartment development is 6 years old with decent middle class apartments at upper class rents. Since no waterproofing has been done in 6 years, I guarantee there would be a fight to have their people do it. I was thinking that if I could find a good closed cell spray that is waterproof and prevents the passing of water, then that would be the easiest way. A little harder is to use 1/2 inch backer rod all around and then good silicone caulk. This is all being done to protect me in case of a water problem from my washing machine.

Comments (2)