SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barnaclebob

Converting a Miele range from 4 prong to 3 prong

barnaclebob
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've got a miele dual fuel stove on the way and it will come with a 4 prong 14-30 plug. The existing outlet is a 10-50 with two black wires and a bare neutral. The house was built in 1994 or 1995 and I assume it was to code. The breaker is 40A and the stove requires only 30 so I am good there.

My understanding is that most stoves today are able to be used with either 3 or 4 prong configurations and in the 3 prong you ground through the neutral wire. To use 4 prong you cut or remove a connection from the ground to neutral on the stove and wire the 4 conductors separate.

Now, my Miele range doesn't say anything about a 3 prong conversion in the manual but I'm wondering if it is still safe to modify it to 3 prong. Would there be any reason why this could damage the stove besides removing the added safety of the completely separated ground wire?

My research has let me to understand that the using the neutral for a ground is only dangerous should the neutral have a failure in between the stove and the breaker which would cause the outside of the stove to be "hot"
I'd really rather not have to run a new wire back to the breaker panel.

Comments (13)