SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

How would a Roman shade look on this window?

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

First of all, I love the glass block window in our master bath (so please don't suggest removing it - that's not happening). I love the natural light it brings to the space, love the expanse of glass, just love it. (I've long been enamored of glass block.) When we first moved into this house, I took the stance that privacy would not be an issue because glass blocks are just about impossible to see through. Well, you can see forms and some movement and you can see something that is right up against the glass (sort of), and I just thought that if anyone cared enough to try to see in, they were going to have to work at it. It now occurs to me that once the house next to us is built, that glass block window is going to be in the neighbor's fenced yard. (That's how these zero lot line "garden homes" work, and there's no way around that whatsoever.) I'm not quite as comfortable with that, and quite frankly keep having these visions of a pervert moving in next door. LOL! I know that's not fair ... but you just never know, right?

Anyway, my brother and SIL have a beautiful, crisp white Roman shade in their powder room on their frosted window. I admire it every time I am in their home, and lately I've been wondering if we should have something similar installed on our bathroom window. Below I've done a mockup of how one might look, along with a photo of the other window in the room that wears a plantation shutter. (I definitely do not want another shutter in the room though.)

Here's what the glass block window looks like now:

And here's what it could potentially look like with a Roman shade (along with the window that's on the left side of the room):

Of course, any shade would have to be lined so as to allow for privacy ... something billowy and light isn't going to do much in that regard.

Thoughts?

Comments (44)

• jewelisfabulous
    8 years ago

Go for it! seems like the perfect solution to me.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the mock-up! And agree you'll feel better with some privacy in the future.

Our MB window is frosted, and no one is behind us, but I still wanted something on it. I like being able to pull the woven shade down when it's super bright and sunny out, and I'm doing my makeup or whatever.

Oops, I need to fix the right side of the curtain. It got wonky when I was lowering the shade. :D

• Related Discussions

Roman Shades- Looking for been-there-done-that

Q

Comments (4)
    I made insulated shades for almost every window. Yes, the plastic rings do become brittle & break. You can zig zag them on with your machine. I used clear monofilament thread. I also used the screw eyes & a cleat. For weight in the bottom I used a threaded rod from Home Depot. I think it's 3/8". Be careful if you have window locks & they happen to stick out. You have to lift the shade over the lock or you'll eventually tear the hem out. The magnets stuck to the side of the window, if you use them, will also eventually lose their stickiness & come off. You can use double sided tape to stick them back on. Our Joann's have everything you need. Even a little book on how to make them. The site below has a book you can order & made them side drawn for patio doors. They are very warm & they look nice. A nice feature is they are room darkening, so perfect for bedrooms. My granddaughter used to take LONG naps. Here is a link that might be useful: Directions & materials
    ...See More

Sliding door and large window - roman shades or something different?

Q

Comments (13)
    Didn’t realize that the blinds were old and damaged; they look good in the photo. I don’t think one Roman shade is the best idea for a slider because if it down you can’t use the door. On my slider, which is 12’ wide, I spend the money on a Hunter Douglas accordion shade (black out because it is in the bedroom) and opens in the middle. The stack back on each side is about 7” at the most. It has a track cover and could easily be covered by a valance and them have a stationary panel on each side, covering the stack back ( panel of 54” wide finished edge would be enough for each side). Move over to the window…do the same valance, hung at the same height, You can decide which makes the most $ sense…having a rod under the valance with two panels, each wide enough draw for privacy, or having a duette pulled up under the valance and two stationary panels on either side.
    ...See More

Curtains too high? Add roman shades? Accent wall? Looking For Advice.

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks again! So if I order these curtains in Ivory: https://www.ballarddesigns.com/fringed-burlap-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/burlap/162904 Should I get the roman shades in Ivory as well? I found these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanna-Fabric-Roman-Shades-14-Colors-Free-Shipping-1800-Series/121441358089?hash=item1c46781109%3Am%3Amml67795rPST5g-10PjhntA&var=420383549431 I also found bamboo ones: (natural color, whitewash is kind of cool too?): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bamboo-Roman-Shade-Five-Colors-Free-Shipping/121456792919?hash=item1c47639557%3Am%3AmVPDoH35s1-lJ4XHov0nYpw%3Asc%3AUPSGround%2180602%21US%21-1&var=420397536102 As far as adding color to the room... am I safe to go with pretty much anything as long as I'm consistent throughout the room? E.g. pillows for couch, throw blanket, artwork on walls, etc.?
    ...See More

window treatment ideas. Mix shutters & roman shades?

Q

Comments (1)
    Thermal functionality (keep chill out in winter, afternoon sun out during summer) is important to me Rule out plantation shutters…no thermal. In your photo, all your window trims are at different heights. You need to hang the rod the same for all windows. For dining room side window and bay front window, choose thermal lined to the floor panels which you can close when needed. Windows over sink…Roman shade, thermal lined, hung at the same height as the others. Good example…all treatments hung at the same height.(Roman will have to be an outside mount). Same fabric…
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

I have to ask about the zero lot-line thing. If the window is going to be in your neighbor's fenced yard, does that mean that the entire side of your house is? Can the neighbors install plants along the line? Which floor is this bathroom on?

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

MizzGG - love your window treatment! I like the way the fabric brings a touch of softness to the room, because let's face it, bathrooms are fairly hard-surfaced spaces!

Linelle - yes and yes. The bathroom is at ground floor level. Basically we have use of the entire yard that butts right up against the house next to us, and the neighbors to our south will have those same rights once that house is built. It's just the way these homes are designed, and of course we knew that going into the purchase. Luckily, there are only two windows on that side of the house and both are glass block. The other is in our dining space, and it's up high so privacy is zero concern.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another question: If I went this route, do you suppose the shade is something I'd need to have custom made? I'm assuming that would all depend on the size of my window (not sure of that at the moment). Since this is the bathroom, is there a fabric that would be best?

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

What's the window size? Since it's outside mount, I would think that you can buy ready made. Maybe a little edging?

You could go straight or relaxed roman shade.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, I guess it would have to be outside mount, right? It's been so long since I purchased a shade! I'll have to measure the window, but think each one of those glass blocks is 6" x 6", so that would mean a 36" x 36" window.

I have no idea whether I'd go with a straight shade or a relaxed one. I love the looks of both! I also love that crisp edging, and equally love the look of the plain white. Gah ... how to ever decide!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ooooh ... look how this one goes all the way to the ceiling! Too much for my space? I do have all that blank wall up top!

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I would need something over the block too while actually using the tub. Other wise I would be looking for shadows of people trying to look in. It might be nice to go to the ceiking, but I would like to see a photo that goes up that high

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL, Kippy! I do find myself glancing back occasionally when I'm in front of the mirror, making sure there are no lurking shadows! I think the creepiness factor will be multiplied once that window is encased in somebody else's fenced yard. Ew.

I'm now thinking to-the-ceiling would probably look best and am searching for more photos. Also wondering if I should consider doing a patterned shade instead of white. There's nothing that says it has to be the same color as the shutters, I suppose. And this might give me an opportunity to bring in something really pretty. Just not sure what ...

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I love roman shades. My personal preference is for a self-valance and something very simple, especially for a bathroom, but I do like the first one nosoccermom shows with the trim.

With your window and tub in a small space I would keep it simple. I prefer to not have a 'dust catcher' with all the folds, so another reason for the tailored approach.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i think i would want a top down! roman shade rather than having to climb into the tub every time i wanted to raise and lower it... i would choose a ht and pretty much keep it there- probably about half way up the glass...

i personally don't think i would go to the ceiling with your window...

• amck2
    8 years ago

This would be a case where function trumps form for me. Regardless of who the neighbor was, I wouldn't have the sense of privacy I needed without a shade in my MB in a situation like yours.

Though I'd install one even if it didn't, I think a shade will look fine in your room. I would go with a straight lined white shade. I think your blocks are "the" design feature and the white coordinates with your tub.

• msmeow
    8 years ago

Jen, it looks like your ceiling is pretty high, so I think having a shade all the way up would be too much.

I also love Roman shades - I've made quite a few, though I currently only have two, on my living room sliders.

I would keep it simple, too. If plain white is too boring :) you could go with a subtle print.

Donna

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts! I had considered a top-up shade, but I don't really care for that style. I've also been playing around with pattern:

And while I can envision it, I also know I'm fickle and I might tire of it. White is safer.

So if you don't think to-the-ceiling is appropriate, where would you install it? I think our ceilings are 12'.

Wondering if I should just call the designer who did our shutters (she does blinds too) and have her make some suggestions, or if I'll regret it once she starts tossing price out at me!

I have just learned that there are cordless shades available now. I had no idea. Anyone have those?

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I meant to say that I wouldn't go to the ceiling either. Yes, I think I'd call the designer if you are undecided. Nothing like a custom made shade, and she might offer some trim suggestions that would work. I could also see a soft off-white or beige working with your tile and a pale turquoise trim. You could do a Velcro trim along the bottom that could be removed/replaced if you change accent colors one day. And yes, I have even seen remote-control shades & blinds! Better dig deep in your wallet I'd think!

• olychick
    8 years ago

I love that print one. it really adds a lot to your room and doesn't seem to draw attention to the difference with the shutter...and, if you tire of it...well, you'll run out of projects someday and it will be time to redo some things! I'd really consider a top down option, so you don't have to lose the light and brightness you love in order to have privacy. I love to be able to cover just the bottom half of the window when needed, but be able to have the upper portion open. They would still be positioned as a regular shade when you don't need to have them closed.

• User
    8 years ago

If you go the Roman shade route, be sure to order a style that doesn't need to be fussed with every time you raise it back up again.

We got soft fold Romans in our BR and I realized too late that they're really meant to stay put and look pretty (although they are lined). The fuss of getting them "just so" got on my nerves.

I highly recommend a cordless Roman shade, or a top down/bottom up shade or privacy cellular.

There are many off the shelf choices at the big box stores.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

Even though I have larger than average side yards, as well as a fence(no fence?)I get the 'need' for privacy. I've had vacant lots on both sides of me for 7 years, now have one house completed, with another almost to that point. Ive never been so close to another home, even while living in Ca. My Mbath window(frosted, but like yours, can see shadows)is on one side, and feel I want to do something, even though it's just the fence i'm looking at. I like the idea of a Roman shade, even a bamboo one would look nice in the dark walnut, but would have it lined. I have them in windows where I don't have the plantation shutters, and really like them. The fabric one is really nice too. Either one is a good choice.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The top down would have to be inside mount though, right?

I'm also glad to read what you said, mimipadv, about the soft folds having to be fussed with. I wouldn't have considered that, and honestly that's the style I'm most drawn to. As I will likely raise and lower these things often, though, I know I would get tired of feeling like they always had to be fiddled with to make them hang right.

As far as height, would you align the top of the shade with the top of the tiles, or echo the height of the shuttered window?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I would do a shade that starts just above the window, but not in white, but rather a pattern that mimics your tile, so a white and beige pattern. It will blend in much better than just the white I think, and I wouldn't put any borders or trim, but just let it blend seamlessly with your beautiful tub area. The turquoise one is also very nice if you will always have turquoise accents in that area.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kind of liking Ingrid's thoughts now.

So many different ideas ... and all of them good!

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

I've always thought Romans look much better when mounted inside the window perimiter, rather than outside. They hang nicer and 'stay put', as the sill gives a place to rest, rather than dangling freely.

• User
    8 years ago

I prefer inside mounts for shades. I do have an outside cornice on my kitchen window, but have a natural cordless Roman mounted inside, as well as a privacy shade.

With a cordless, the shade doesn't rest on the sill as a corded could or would. I love the spring loaded system and just a tug and a pull/lift is all you need to get the shade right where you want it.

I'm getting more Romans and will definitely go with cordless.

BTW, I'm going to go with Bali from Costco as soon as they offer 10% off again. I just missed the last sale ;-(

• User
    8 years ago

Will it be a hassle to raise and lower a shade on that window? No idea what those motorized ones cost, but I'd investigate before making a final decision.

We have cordless natural woven shades in the kitchen/keeping room from Smith & Noble and Levolor woven woods from Penney's in dh's office. All super easy to raise and lower.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK, this darn window is 48-5/8" tall and 46-3/16" wide. I'm presuming that's going to call for a custom shade if I'm going to go with inside mount. Glad DH texted me the measurements, as I was way off in what I figured the measurements were and I was just about to pull the trigger on a Pottery Barn shade I found on eBay.

Back to the drawing board ...

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I think I would do plain white with a trim band and as wide as the moldings. Probably to the height of the shower tile.

you have a beautiful mobile hanging there and the patterned glass block or patterned shade would hide it

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just emailed the designer who did our shutters to see if we can talk about this. I'm afraid if I order something online, I'll not get the color quite right or fudge up the measurements somehow. I am leaning towards plain white - perhaps banded - but very simple and clean/crisp.

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. I do think this is something I eventually want to do. (Although I just "practice" built one on the American Blinds website, and the total came out to $360. Yikes. Working with the designer may be every bit as much - although she did pleasantly surprise us when we bought the shutters through her, so it's worth an email anyway.)

• DYH
    8 years ago

I love the roman shade idea for your window.

As you may have gathered from my posts, I've tried pricing custom shades on nearly every website -- Smith & Noble, The Shade Store, RH, etc. I never found a quote for less than $400 each for my windows, most of which are 34"w inside mount and 54" long inside mount. I never tried a local custom quote because I decided it would be that much or more and I'm not prepared for the expenditure on multiple windows.

That said, for one window in one room, that is a focal point as in your bathroom, then go for what you love.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Here are a couple of examples of simple trim I was talking about. One is on the door in our breakfast room and has a valance and a small beaded trim. The other is on French doors in our great room and has no valance, simple trim on the edge. Sorry the colors or details aren't showing up well with my iPad pics, especially in the trim, but maybe you can get the idea.

• User
    8 years ago

I think consulting your designer sounds like a good idea, especially since that window is a focal point in your bathroom. The white mockups look very stark. The print you posted definitely does much to soften and warm the room. Many prints could do the same.

To put the possible cost in perspective consider how you were willing to pay for a new mixer, toaster, and foyer light simply for a change in color or style.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the pics, OP! What beautiful shades. Really love the beaded trim. They both have such a crisp, clean look but also add a good deal of softness.

• cliff_and_joann
    8 years ago

I love Romans and have made them for our home.

I would do a solid tan (like the tan in the tile) and trim the bottom with

a strip if solid darker tan. I think it would be good to have the top

level even with the tile in the shower.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Thank you, TR. I thought the second fabric might be of interest to you because it is actually a striped sheer fabric with a lining. Something along those lines might work well for your window since you might not want anything to block a lot of light, and the glass block already provides some degree of privacy.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

With the ORB fixtures/shower frame, as well as the tan tile, imo, a dark color would look very rich. I can't recall reading any posts where you've used white, but have focused on more dramatic, deeper colors, so that's my logic for suggexting a darker color, unifying what you have in your home already. I have the Bamboo Romans in three of the bedrooms and family room and love them. I've had no problem with any of them in the 7 years they have been up and my son was able to hang them, which was very easy. I have unlined, but they can be custom ordered w/lining.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Maybe, patty - but my shutters are white (and there's one on the adjacent wall in the bathroom), so I'm not sure if something dark on the glass block window would be jarring. I dunno ... still waiting on the designer that my regular designer wants to put me in touch with to call. I had flippin' dreams about window treatments last night. Ugh.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

Whoops, I did forget about the plantation shutters being the color of your trim. I'll be very interested to hear what she recommends. Maybe the PS? Jen, **every** night I take a stack of decorating books or magazines and set them on the nightstand*am usually up until 3am reading/looking at pics, filling my brain with ideas! I have magazines from 2007. Talk about a pack rat! Tell me i'm not nutz. ;)

• olychick
    8 years ago

I was thinking about this last night and how convenient a remote controlled shade would be. Not sure if that would work with a Roman (do they make cordless remote Romans?), but what about doing a fake Roman and putting a remote controlled cellular shade up under it, so you could easily raise and lower it and have the beautiful (print, I hope) Roman always looking good.

• User
    8 years ago

Smith & Noble offers remote control on a number of products.

Smith & Noble Motivia motorization

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just priced out a "pretend" Bali through Home Depot with remote control. With all the add-ons required for that, it came to $696. That's actually not as bad as I would've thought.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

That's horrific, Jen! Not as bad? I would really have to love it at that price.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, it's motorized so of course it's pricier than a regular shade. But I only need one, so ...

• olychick
    8 years ago

Oh, good, I couldn't seem to figure out if they did remote Romans.