SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoman35

window treatment ideas. Mix shutters & roman shades?

zoman35
5 years ago

I am having a window treatment dilemma and treatments can be so expensive that I don't want to mess it up.

I need to cover my windows. I have a bay window in the kitchen on a SE wall. I have a window next to it (separated by a narrow cabinet) above the kitchen sink. Next to it on the E wall I have another standard window. It's an open design/flow into the dining area. Where I have another set of windows on the same SE side that I need to treat.

I want things to look cohesive but not fussy or matchy. I prefer a clean-line/non-formal look.

Thermal functionality (keep chill out in winter, afternoon sun out during summer) is important to me, so they need to be operable. Privacy is medium important. Aesthetic appeal is also obviously important. I need to have easy access to operate the windows, except on the hottest days of summer I prefer letting outside air in.

I was thinking of doing white plantation shutters on the bay window and the dining room windows and doing a roman shade above the two sets of kitchen windows. Would it look weird to mix these treatments? I guess that's my question. Or what else would someone recommend?

Some notes: I don’t have a pic of the dining room but it’s just to the right out of the picture of the one photo. Those colorful storage bins aren’t usually in the DR, I just had a bunch of kids doing “maker’s space” when that photo was taken. None of the light fixtures are my favorite so they’ll all go but there’s at least 100 other things first. I have bamboo-woven shades in my other downstairs rooms (living/family). It's flanked with panels in the family room.

Thanks for any & all input!

Comment (1)