SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themockturtle

About to transplant some succulents. Am I doing this right?

themockturtle
8 years ago

Hello succulent lovers.

Today, I cheated on my main squeeze (Hoyas) and picked up a couple of Echeverias.

E. 'Perle von Nurnberg'

E. purpusorum

I want to transplant them to a different potting mix. I read many posts here on how to transplant, but I'm still a bit unsure.

So here's what I'm thinking about doing, and please let me know if that sounds right or not.

I have this gritty type mix of bark, Turface, lava rocks, and perlite in approximately 3:1:1:1 ratio.

Actually, perlite particles are smaller than the first picture now. Does this mix look/sounds OK? I also have some pumice if this mix needs fixing.

I am going to remove all old soil mix from the roots. I read somewhere that I should leave it bare root overnight to let it dry/heal. Is that right? I also read that I should use a dry mix to pot them up, and not to water for a week or so and keep in shaded area. So am I correct in thinking I need to use a bone dry gritty type mix and keep it bone dry for a week? That sounds scary to me, and this is the part I'm most unsure of. Please tell me if this correct or not. I think I'm just going to use the pot they came in for now.

I also have Senecio rowleyanus, Senecio jacobsenii, and Crassula marginalis rubra 'Calico Kitten' I'm thinking about transplanting in the same mix (all separate pots). Do I need to do the "barefoot overnight, pot it dry, keep it dry for a week" for these too?

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Comments (29)