SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
empalmer93

TOTAL beginner to indoor succulents- am I doing something wrong?

Emily Palmer
9 years ago

So I've recently purchased several succulents to give a try at growing indoor houseplants. I've quickly realized that it may not be as simple as I originally thought. Here is a list of the problem plants and what is happening to them. For all of the succulents I used Fertii-lome cactus potting soil and have used Miracle-Gro succulent plant food (foaming) once every two weeks as instructed. I have only ever misted them twice and have had them for around 3-4 weeks. Ok, here it goes:

• String of Pearls- Is having completely rounded, otherwise healthy-looking leaves fall off of it. Today I noticed a couple, very small, rounded leaves turning purple/black and squishy. It was blooming-however the flowers that had bloomed sort of turned a darker color and seem to have dried out(?)
  • Aloe Vera- About two foot and top heavy. I have it in an East facing window on a stand. Some of the outer leaves are drooping...sort of like they have sustained damage and 'creased' in one particular spot on the leaf. Some of the tips of the leaves are brown.
  • Echeveria- I have this one in a larger pot with an unknown cactus, and two other unknown succulents(I have been attempting to identify online. I have questions about one of the mystery succulents, however I dont want to ask until I can identify what it is.) the echeveria had blooms on it but they never 'bloomed' and now are beginning to droop and die off. I have taken a couple large, squishy/dark leaves off of the bottom. It just doesnt seem to look too well?

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I give them bright-indirect light all day with direct light for a couple hours as the sun is going down. I'll also mention that all of my succulents, aside from the Aloe, are sitting in a North-West facing window on a table. I'm going to be hanging the String of Pearls tonight or tomorrow.

I can post pictures or whatever! Just want to do the best that I can with these guys and I feel like I'm just not doing something correctly. If you can offer me advice, I would be so grateful!

Thanks in advanced.

-Emily

Comments (8)