SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691928

I'm in mourning for the death of the trees

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The woman who owns the complex next door hates trees, at least mature trees. Since I've been here, she has been keeping one tree service in business, I swear. She took out two mature oaks earlier this summer, and yesterday chain saws were going all day.

I walked by today, and saw the damage. 4 mature oaks out in front of the complex that weren't hurting anything. They weren't too close to the apartments, maybe a little close to her precious iron fencing, but they were beautiful and gave the apartments behind them a lot of shade in the afternoon when the sun comes from the west. The pine tree was close to an apartment building, but pine tree roots usually don't damage anything. This pine tree must have been 100 years old, if it was a day. It was healthy, too. They all were.

Why did she cut them down? She doesn't like to rake, and she refuses to pay someone else to rake, so there go at least 6 perfectly healthy, beautiful majestic mature trees.

Now for the craziest part -- she has planted at least 10 small oak trees on the property. So she takes down the mature trees and replaces them with small trees. She could have paid 10 people to rake for the money she spent removing those trees.

Yes, she has mental problems. She had an ongoing feud with our ex-maintenance man, and is constantly calling the police because she says she sees prostitutes and drug dealing over here, which is just insane. We have a resident who moved out of her place because he caught her in his apartment one day, sitting at his desk, looking through his checkbook. He asked her what she was doing and she said "I'm looking to see if you have the money to pay your rent." He called the police and had a restraining order taken out against her, so she evicted him. She took another resident's dog out of their house and took it to animal services because "it was barking too much." None of the neighbors had complained about the barking. She is suspected of stealing things from people's apartments as well, and is constantly just walking into people's apartments without permission, sometimes just because she suspects them of smoking (it's a non-smoking complex).

All that is bad enough, but I'm seriously sad about the trees. We have so many trees around here, which makes me very happy, and they allow us to plant more if we want. They never remove a tree unless it dies. A huge mulberry fell into the pond last year during all that torrential rain, and they just left it as habitat for the ducks and to return to nature. It wasn't hurting any of the buildings or blocking anybody's access to anything, so there it stays. I think that's cool.

Comments (20)