SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kriskoeller

Adding Forced Air Heat to NYC Condo with Central Air

Kris Koeller
8 years ago

Hello,

We live in a 100-year-old, pre-war building in NYC. Last summer we remodeled the condo and updated the unit's central air conditioning ducting and installed a new thermostat. The central system is cooling only, and is powered by an in-unit air handler attached to a common cooling tower on the building's roof. (Forgive me if I'm getting the terminology incorrect).

Heat is supplied by the building's central boiler that produces steam that travels to two, wall-mounted radiators. These radiators have all the features and issues you would expect: uneven heating, noise, drying the air, unpredictable performance, etc. They are also unattractive and take up space. The steam heat is included in my monthly HOA/maintenance fees, so I don't pay additional costs to operate that.

Question: I would like to remove the radiators as part of Phase II of our remodel, and add a centralized heating source to leverage the new ducting from last summer's Phase I. My question is what type of unit I should be looking at. The air handler/AC unit is 20 years and need of replacement (the previous owner never performed any maintenance on any of the critical systems). I'd like to find a new, quieter more efficient AC unit that can also produce heat. Since its inside the condo, I would presume the heat source would either be electric, or perhaps water-heated from the building's boiler. Seeking suggestions on what to look for.

We also intend to add a steam humidifier and perhaps some advanced air filtering.

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Comments (7)