SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mykonosberry

Help!: Tile floor sticks up higher than surrounding wood floor

mykonosberry
8 years ago

We are remodeling and wanted to replace some tile that was in front of the door, it was placed in a cut out into the wood floor. (I would have preferred just an all wood floor, but we bought the house that way) But today, when I got home, I found that the new tile sticks up above the surrounding wood floor at least an inch. They said that the floor was not flat and that they needed to install the tile on some cement board to provide a flat surface and that this raised it up. The tile even extends into a closet next to the door and I'm not sure if the door will even fit anymore. They say that they will put some wood trim type stuff along the edges of the tile to hide the edge and connect it to the wood floor. It looks terrible to me and I'm afraid that people trip over it all the time. But my SO had okayed it, so it's all done except grout. Is there another solution to this other than using cement board? Like, is leveling the concrete floor underneath a thing contractors can do? At this point, I know that my SO won't want to tear up the tile and pay for more work, but I'd prefer some other kind of floor instead of tile that sticks up, even if I have to do it myself. What kind of flooring can go on an uneven surface? Anyone have any advice before they do more work on this?

Comments (15)