SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20188432

Please help with my kitchen layout

User
8 years ago

I’ve been a long time lurker since cancelling our kitchen remodel years ago. Now that I’m at the point where I would love your input, I’m nervous because many of you will hate this! It’s not the most convenient layout, but after much thought, I think it works for our goals. With your help, we hope to make it the best it can be. Sorry it’s so long but I wanted to be thorough. As I figure out where to put more things, I'll add specific cabinetry and dimensions. The room is 23' wide. The island is 15' wide. the cooktop wall is 14' 8" wide.

This house is in a remote community which is all about the scenery. We gave up some conveniences in the kitchen to have big opening window walls to maximize the indoor outdoor feel. I love having a great room, but we also like perks of having a separate kitchen. We tried to marry some of the pluses of each.

The main cleanup sink, small appliances, wall ovens, and pet food bowls aren't visible from the great room. Because my husband and I cook different things at the same time, this set up gives us each our own areas to cook together without bumping into each other too much (vegetarian and the opposite of a vegetarian :) We each have our own side of the island and cooktop, and then we can each go around to get to our ovens around the corner. On the rare occasions when we have a caterer, it will be nice they can be in the back area.

Refrigeration

A 36 inch Miele fridge w bottom freezer will be on the left side.

Instead of having one full size fridge, I’m thinking of having point of use refrigeration to make up the difference needed and adding a bit of convenience at the same time.

I’m thinking about either Sub Zero fridge/freezer drawers or the Fisher and Paykel Cool Drawers. The FP drawers can be turned into a fridge or freezer at any time and they are only one drawer vs the upper and lower of the SZ. I know I at least want one for drinks and one for cat food (and I’d put other things in the cat food drawer too!). I may need a little more space for produce. I'm open to a different brand if there is something better.

We have a grill and pizza oven outside which is why having two small ovens inside will be more than we need.

The letters FH stand for full height cabinetry. Everything else has no uppers.

The back section.

We’ll have a large single sink and two dishwashers.

Dish storage will be in the back so it's convenient to the dishwashers. I’d rather walk to get plates for food than walk to unload the dishwasher (making my least favorite chore as easy as possible). I think dish storage will be in the FH cabinet next to the oven because I would prefer my dishes above the counter vs bending to reach for them in drawers.

We will have a Gaggenau combi steam oven on each side in the back with a counter between them as a landing and work area

Toaster, blender, juicer, and mixer will be on the counter

I will feed cats on the cleanup sink counter, so do I want the fridge drawers on that run, or should I put them between the ovens so they are more convenient to that counter for making protein shakes

Cat plates storage will be on cleanup sink run

Where would you put the trash near the back cleanup sink?

The front section

An induction burner in the middle

A prep sink in the middle of the island so we each can use it from our sides

We’ll have one dishwasher for when I have the energy to put things in the d/w right away (instead of the stack of dirty dishes at the cleanup sink in the back)

On either side of the cooktop, we’ll have food in the full height cabinets

If we think we need it, we could add a fridge drawer for produce. We live in the country and buy a lot of produce so I'm not sure if the big Miele fridge gives us enough.

I’m wondering about a FP cool drawer to keep at the right temp for storing bread and the fruits and veggies you would normally leave on the counter just to help them last a touch longer (bananas, tomatoes, etc)

Aside from the two tall columns on the sides of the cooktop, all storage will be drawers.

I’ll put a warming drawer next to the cooktop, because if I remember correctly, that is the ideal place for function. Is there another place I should consider? If serving buffet style on the island, is the warming drawer better there?

Where should the microwave go?

The bar

opening is 36 inches wide behind a pocketing door (it matches the fridge size)

I’ll want a water dispenser and a fridge drawer for drinks and milks for lattes

I want an espresso maker and bean grinder.

Do I need a sink close by?

Do you think this fits in the 36 inch wide bar area? If not, they could go in the back on the counter.

Comments (20)