SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bea_in_fl

Hummingbird feeders

In my 27 years as a licensed wild bird rehabilitator I was often asked about feeding hummingbirds because I raised several of them I thought it might be useful to post the particulates here since gardeners love hummers. So here is hummingbird feeding 101:

1. The formula is one part sugar ( not honey) to four parts hot water. You don't need to add food color.
2. The formula must be replaced every 3-4 days if the temperature is above 80 degrees. That's because at higher temps the formula can ferment.
3. Before refilling the feeder wash it with hot water and soap and rinse it well. The feeder can be soaked in a 10% bleach solution if molds grows on it. Be sure to rinse well.

4. The feeders can stay up until all hummers have left the area in the fall. It's not true that leaving the feeders up will stop them from migrating.

By the way if anyone is trying to attract hummers and hasn't seen any in the neighborhood, attach a big red plastic flower above the feeder or a large red plastic ribbon (plastic so it won't deteriorate in the rain). These often make it easier for hummers passing through to find the feeder.

Comments (2)