SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
headmotty

Solu-Lime and Ag Lime

headmotty
8 years ago

My lawn needs lots of lime (soil test returned 4.7 pH), and I don't need magnesium, as that's already pretty high. I'm trying to decide between Solu-Lime or Calcitic Ag Lime. Labels are shown below, and I've got a bunch of questions.

Does the Solu-Lime contain any magnesium at all? It doesn't list any, but...

The ag lime list three types of magnesium: magnesium, magnesium oxide, and magnesium carbonate. What's the difference? Which is the type I don't want if I already have high magnesium? Do I add up the three percentages to get "total magnesium"? Is the percent magnesium in this ag lime considered "a lot of magnesium" to add to my lawn, or is this not that much magnesium?

The Solu-Lime is 4 or 5x more expensive, and I know it is also more powerful, so would not need as many bags and would save labor and all that. The Ca% isn't all that different: 36% vs 32%. The CCE is the same 91%. The ENV is not all that different: 88% vs 83%.

Which should I go with here? I ask partly because I've heard things like enhanced limes such as Solu-Lime aren't long lasting. Is the only difference the speed at which the Solu-Lime will work vs the ag lime? And of course the magnesium in the ag lime? But like I said, I don't know if those amounts of mg in the ag lime are high or low.

I'm thinking of putting down 1 bag of Solu-Lime (which would be about 7 lbs./1000 sq. ft.) to get a quick kick, and then also putting down the ag lime for an ongoing slow release. But if adding even those amounts of magnesium to my already high-mg lawn should be avoided, I can just double the amount of Solu-Lime I put down. This will all just be spread over the surface, by the way, not incorporated into the soil...

Any opinions much appreciated!

Comments (14)