SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquinski

Advice needed for options where shower glass meets tile/glass.

aquinski
8 years ago

We are getting estimates for
installing a frameless shower in our master bath. The shower is 4x4 with a pony
wall on the left side. There will be a stationary
panel next to the pony wall. The vanity will be on the other side of the pony wall. The
shower door will be hinged on the opposite side, the right wall, and may or may not
be hinged off a panel or directly to the wall (still to be decided). I believe the panels will be 1/2" glass and the door 3/8" wide.

I talked with 3 different glass companies to get estimates. I have 3 options for where the glass meets glass or tile/quartz. One is to have a channel, one is to have silicone and the third is to have neither - the glass would be very close, but not touching the other adjoining material and the top of the pony wall would be angled very slightly to allow water to drain off into the shower.

Of the 3 options, we like the last one best. I've been assured by one of the companies that they do this all of the time and it doesn't leak. The water would have to be sprayed directly at the gaps to leak, and that's unlikely given where they're located. The silicone option would need to be reapplied and can get unsightly, and we don't like the look of the channel.

Clips will be used to secure the door and panels.

Does anyone have any experience with the last option? Advice?

Thank you!

Comments (16)